Stop the Spam!

AwesomeMcCoolName

[PSA]Stop the Spam

^^ Join the Cause 

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/512b8f2bba25369d1e00000d

Just one of many examples....So many people will just spam the comments with:

"Free Rep",

"You need proof" (no reason for more than 1 person to say it, the rest can just like it),

Unexplained "Downvotes" (Theres no reason someone needs to type in chat "Downvote" without something to back their claim.  

So many suggestions (especially currency suggestions) get spammed so much that you can't even find the actual proof/useful comments...

Not sure this is really a suggestion that can be handled by the site admins.  It would seem harsh to ban people for saying something relatively harmless.

I'm as annoyed by these as anybody else, but as long as meaningless points exist in this world, people will make a big deal out of them.

True, but maybe, hiding all spam, and notifying the poster....

Or maybe just add another comment section.

And let the Commenter choose, which would most probably deal with most of the spam...

True, but maybe, hiding all spam, and notifying the poster....

As much as I'd love this, it'd significantly increase the time commitment for the moderation team.  If they decided that this is something they'd like to address, I'd be more than willing to help.

Or maybe just add another comment section.

And let the Commenter choose, which would most probably deal with most of the spam...

Not sure what you mean by this.  Like, a "good comments" section and a "spam/free rep" section?

Something along the lines of: 

>Proof/counter proof

>Opinions/Worthless Bs/Spam/unnecessary/unhelpful comments

This seems like the best way to deal with it, since it involves no effort from the moderating team, and relies solely on peoples own judgment. 

Granted, it won't stop spam completely, but it definitely would help to alleviate some of the spam...

Seems like more work (for the programming and for users to choose which chats or have to check both) than it's worth IMO.  I'll just mention that if you don't like a certain type of comment, you can always "dislike" it.  That may dissuade them from doing it again ;)

Not likely.

I was kinda going for what Killjoy said.  If just the few of us in this thread dislike comments that say "free rep", they might stop posting them (since they clearly care about their points)

Not that I support downvote brigades :/

I was kinda going for what Killjoy said.  If just the few of us in this thread dislike comments that say "free rep", they might stop posting them (since they clearly care about their points)

Not that I support downvote brigades :/

Dislikes don't go to your points though...(or do they?)

Also, most of those people make a spam comment and never return the the suggestion (so the dislikes wouldnt mean much)

Well, gonna take a slightly different approach (for the time being anyway)...

Time to spread the word about why spam is BAD!

Archived