European + Pound Currency Crash

Teeird

USD is now worth more than both of the currencies not because of USD increasing in value, but Pounds/Euros being worth less.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but aren't they still both worth more than the USD?

1 US Dollar equals
0.77 Euro

1 US Dollar equals
0.65 British Pound Sterling

So wouldn't it be BPS > EUD > USD ?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but aren't they still both worth more than the USD?

1 US Dollar equals
0.77 Euro

1 US Dollar equals
0.65 British Pound Sterling

So wouldn't it be BPS > EUD > USD ?

yes, why?

I remember not too long ago Euros had a 2:1 conversion ratio to the USD, and the pound had a 3:1 conversion rate. Now look at how pathetic this is. . .

USD is now worth more than both of the currencies not because of USD increasing in value, but Pounds/Euros being worth less.

Don't know what you are talking about. When has there been a 2:1 USD/EUR and 3:1 GBP/USD rate?

EUR (rough figures):

In the last 5 years the high has been at 1.60 USD/EUR before the 2008 financial crisis, the low at 1.20 USD/EUR and the current exchange rate is 1.30 USD/EUR, moving in a corridor of 1.20 - 1.50 for the past 3-4 years.

GBP (rough figures):

In the last 5 years the high has been at 2.00 USD/GBP before the 2008 financial crisis, the low at 1.35 USD/GBP and the current exchange rate is 1.50 USD/GBP, moving in a corridor of 1.45 - 1.65 for the past 3-4 years.

I don't see any recent "crash" at all. If anything, the USD was becoming too weak before the 2008 financial crisis. That's when a major correction in the form of a "crash" occurred ($1.60->$1.25 / $2->$1.35). Another crash was at the beginning of the European sovereign debt crisis in 2010 ($1.50->$1.20 / $1.60->$1.45).

I guess by "most recent political events" you mean that still ongoing European sovereign debt crisis, which may be the cause of the volatility of the Euro compared to the USD. But I would hardly call that a "crash" in the last couple of years.

The implications of a (now) weaker EUR compared to the USD:

-US exports to the EU

+US imports from the EU

-EU tourists to the US

+US tourists to the EU

and vice versa for the EU or a stronger EUR.

If you consider that good or bad, depends on what is most important to you, I guess. I personally don't mind the EUR not becoming too strong compared to the USD, as the EU would have serious trouble competing on the USD dominated world market with it's goods and services.

yes, why?

Because the OP says:

But looking at the numbers, that looks to never have been true.  C'mon Merry, read teh threadz.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived