What would a good report system look like?

Jymotion

It'd be nice to have the ability to report or flag (in the more traditional sense) comments/suggestions/users in a way that brings it to the attention of the mods.  Report-worthy content would include offensive comments (slurs, insults, etc.), repeated price-manipulation attempts, troll suggestions, etc.

The downside would be abuse of the system (e.g. reporting every comment you disagree with in a key thread).  If implemented, it'd be important to educate users (in some way) what to report and what not to report.

Would the pros outweigh the cons?

• 1 month later...

Lately I've seen a lot of rude posts towards other users. I feel like backpack.tf's voting section could use a report tool, but that it would need to be safeguarded against false and/or useless reports. I was thinking the number of reports somebody could file in a day would be directly to their rep. For example, having 300 contribution points let you report one post per day, 750 for two, something like that. Of course, I can't think this up on my own, and a community-based suggestion would certainly fit backpack.tf's spirit. So what do you guys think? Should there be a report tool at all? How should we reduce mod stress? 

I made a suggestion thread about this a while back and Brad said he didn't see it as necessary.  I'd still like to see how this discussion goes, though.  I'm in favor of a report tool because of the upvoted abusive remarks in key suggestions I've seen.  The issue that comes with it is abuse of the system (reporting people you disagree with, spam, etc.).  Perhaps your idea of rep / time on the site or something similar would help avoid this.

Another thing to remember is that self-closed suggestions are not often visited by moderators, as those who suggest them see the negative comments and close it themselves. These suggestions, along with key suggestions, tend to get the most hate.

Another thing to remember is that self-closed suggestions are not often visited by moderators, as those who suggest them see the negative comments and close it themselves. These suggestions, along with key suggestions, tend to get the most hate.

Most of them truly do not have backing but should not have hate.

It'd be nice. There are some situations that need handling sooner rather than later, and it can take time for an admin to reach a suggestion.

I don't think it's a top priority thing, but I think it's worth considering for the future. It will become more important in the future if the site continues to increase in usage.

Archived