Aria Heavy-Hand

How's the new system?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How is it now?

• It's better!
    • It's about the same.
    • I am grumpy. I hate it.

(Where on earth would I put this, anyway? General discussion seemed okay. Team Fortress 2 Trading might have been better, if not related solely to buying/selling actual items, but oh well.)

The new scrap.tf system. I don't know how long exactly it's been implemented, but I just used it, and I must say, it's one of the worst things I've ever experienced. I tried to use the hat banking bot with the trade offers (which I have a notoriously bad history of being incapable of using effectively), and only managed to succeed after 3-4 tries. This included errors such as the bot cancelling the trade offer too fast, never sending in the first place, or just your average trade offer errors, like errors accepting in general. Then I tried weapon banking, and after six or seven tries, gave up after multiple failures. The site is practically unusable for people such as myself, who for some reason can't make trade offers work for their lives. So you might be asking yourself, 

"WHAT'S THIS GOT TO DO WITH BACKPACK.TF?!?!"

Uh, nothing. But I was wondering what you guys thought of it. Am I the only one who has these problems, or is backpack.tf really going down the toilet with this new system? So yeah yeah, another question you might have is (I'm too lazy to go bold again), "Why didn't you voice this to SCRAP.TF? Why here instead?" Well, I did already. So whoop-di-doo. Anyways, thoughts? Opinions? Hate mail? I'm open to all of it.

Let's see how long this takes to get shut down due to being in the wrong part of the forums lel

yeah, it can be a real pain the ass, but beggars can't be pickers or something like that, if you want something, just gotta wait :P patience is the key

it was until steam kept screwing up ):

Yeah, steam was really broken today as well, couldnt trade the normal way and had to use trade offers, so I guess its not really their fault. :)

Trading on weekends is really time consuming - It's been like that since around Christmas - It has more to do with Steam Servers; It affects all Trading sites, and it affects all of us when we trade with each other; I'd say Trade Offers is a good alternative - it works for me  :)

Best we can do is perhaps contribute - Selling items on the Steam Community Market, etc - The rest - I guess we need to hope that Steam continues to support TF2 (TF3?)

Am I the only one who has these problems, or is backpack.tf really going down the toilet with this new system?

How exactly is bp.tf going down the toilet? Or did you mean scrap.tf?

define god tier

It's 10* quicker to purchase weapons and involves 10* less effort

I am a very lazy and impatient person.

I have never been able to reproduce any of the issues people have had. Bots have always sent me a trade offer, and 99% of the time if you can't accept a trade offer, a good solution is to just open it in your web browser. Hell, the scrap.tf page itself will show a little popup with a link to your trade offer.

I have never been able to reproduce any of the issues people have had. Bots have always sent me a trade offer, and 99% of the time if you can't accept a trade offer, a good solution is to just open it in your web browser. Hell, the scrap.tf page itself will show a little popup with a link to your trade offer.

its worked for me  all of the time, I'm actually quite happy with it.

And the success rate has been <80% for a month or two now. I chock it up to Valve limiting our API and forcing us to switch to the shitty Steam Community inventories.

Just to reiterate the statement.

For the vast majority of Trade Offers - Sending and Accepting - I use a Web Browser (Chrome); Using the Web Browser - Trade Offers go through 95% of the time; Using Steam itself - I just seem to have no luck - AT ALL; This applies to Trade Offers of all kinds - regardless of whether it's by Scrap.Tf or not - It's just much better to use a Web Browser - as it just seems to work much better for some reason.

My experience with Trading - For Trade Offers - use a Web Browser; for the rest of Trading - The Steam client works fine.

Yeah, I was curious to test their Trade Offer system and it was very smooth on my end. On the other hand, the API provided by Steam is horrible, I guess they just don't have the dosh to buy new gear. :rolleyes:

And the success rate has been <80% for a month or two now. I chock it up to Valve limiting our API and forcing us to switch to the shitty Steam Community inventories.

Me oh my. The Geel himself commenting on my problem. Well I must say I'm honored to have you here I'm a huge fanboy of scrap.tf lel the new system doesn't exactly seem to be working for me. My Steam doesn't seem to like trade offers, and I delete the cookies on my browser too often to use them in Chrome. Any ideas on how that could be sorted out? I still think a mix of the two systems would be okay. Most people, it seems, would still use trade offers, so it would still be faster, but people like me could still use normal trades, rather than struggle with the errors of trade offers. Is this possible, or just a huge hassle?

Me oh my. The Geel himself commenting on my problem. Well I must say I'm honored to have you here I'm a huge fanboy of scrap.tf lel the new system doesn't exactly seem to be working for me. My Steam doesn't seem to like trade offers, and I delete the cookies on my browser too often to use them in Chrome. Any ideas on how that could be sorted out? I still think a mix of the two systems would be okay. Most people, it seems, would still use trade offers, so it would still be faster, but people like me could still use normal trades, rather than struggle with the errors of trade offers. Is this possible, or just a huge hassle?

If we were to support both systems we'd have to maintain both as we add more and more features to scrap.tf.  This adds double the chance for exploits and points of failure.

It's a well-known issue that Trade Offers in the Steam Client itself simply do not work well at all. Why do you delete your cookies so often?

If we were to support both systems we'd have to maintain both as we add more and more features to scrap.tf.  This adds double the chance for exploits and points of failure.

It's a well-known issue that Trade Offers in the Steam Client itself simply do not work well at all. Why do you delete your cookies so often?

It just comes with cleaning the rest of my computer anyway, and oddly enough, makes my internet run faster. Probably just my old laptop at work, but yeah, helps run faster, and I have a nosy brother and father that I like to keep out of my stuff.

...it's totally not what it sounds like.

That having been said, hm. Why not, then, just add some staff (if necessary), then split up between maintaining trade offers and normal trades? I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to work on the site. I dunno, I'm just pitching some ideas around... I don't know anything about how this works, but I'm trying. XD

It just comes with cleaning the rest of my computer anyway, and oddly enough, makes my internet run faster. Probably just my old laptop at work, but yeah, helps run faster, and I have a nosy brother and father that I like to keep out of my stuff.

...it's totally not what it sounds like.

That having been said, hm. Why not, then, just add some staff (if necessary), then split up between maintaining trade offers and normal trades? I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to work on the site. I dunno, I'm just pitching some ideas around... I don't know anything about how this works, but I'm trying. XD

From programming point of view, they would have to code everything twice since the trade offers are very different in many ways. It's just not feasible.

And btw. how does cleaning your cookies make your browsing faster? Perhaps tell your family members to use their own accounts (or guest account).

Archived