Should there be a conduct policy?

Jymotion

I'm sure everyone has noticed the trend of comments becoming disrespectful and harassing in the comments of (usually bad) suggestions over the past several months.  Some aren't so bad (e.g. "ty for free rep"), some are rude and annoying (e.g. today's moron counter: #), and some are just downright mean.  I understand that "that's just how people are on the internet", but I'd like to see your opinions on whether or not we should "deal with it".  I decided to start this thread based on the things said in this discussion.

• Are the comments bad enough that we should talk about them?
  • Should there be a policy for comments enforced by moderators? (outside of personal attacks, which are already addressed by mods)
  • Would such enforcement be perceived as censorship or power trips?
  • Would some sort of banner announcement suffice?
  • How can we encourage civil discussions?

Already had a discussion with cleverpun about this like an hour ago.

Anyways my thought was that if you set actual rules rather than letting moderators decide a course action, then you'd see much more uniform results and helpful comments due to there being set parameters as to what is acceptable. I agree with Thomas Hobbes in that the ruling power should be responsible for establishing order in the society it reigns over. There are currently basically two rules on backpack.tf that should be inherently obvious to an individual: do not make a troll suggestion and do not speak ill of another person.

do not speak ill of another person.

does that extend to insulting a person's suggestion (without contributing anything)?

Thanks for the suggestion, we're working something out. I'm tire of the comments like the ones I showed and I'm glad we're finally going to do something.

Thanks for the suggestion, we're working something out. I'm tire of the comments like the ones I showed and I'm glad we're finally going to do something.

You're a tire now? What happened to being a shoe?

Archived