The Process of Phishing and how to not get phished

A Cyan Stone in Mustard

So for any of those people who don't know how phishing works, here's how.

So usually when you bump some trades on bazaar.tf or the outpost, someone will automatically add you.

They'll say something like this:
"My friend wants to add you but he can't (steam errors) add him" then they send you a link

It may look like steamcommunity.com but it's not!

1 - 2 of the characters are changed, so it's like steancommunity, staemcommunity, steamcommunify, etc.

If you click it, it's fine, but DO NOT LOG IN.

It will give them your password and info.

Now you'll have to enter the security code, don't do that either, that way they'll know what it is.

If you go ahead and enter your info (Which you obviously shouldn't) you will be logged in by some one else's computer and all your valuable items will go to their account.

Those items will then be traded or sold to regular people.

So if you get phished, make a Steam Support ticket and they'll get to you in a week or so.

Once you get your items back you won't be able to trade for 15 days, and once those 15 days are over you're back to your regular self.

Stay safe and don't be an idiot.

How not to get phished.

1. Don't download suspicious programs.

2. Don't enter any type of info into any site or program you know nothing or little of.

3. Use your brain. You don't have to be a computer expert to know you should never download random shit from random people on the internet.

If a person walked up to you and asked for your credit card info, would you give it to them? No. So why would you give out your info to random people on the interwebs.

4. Be cautious.

unfortunately I have some friends with unusuals who got caught on the most traditional phish scam (that "stemacommunity" method)

so yes, never click on any link if you dont know the person well

e-thiefs, the shittiest type of person on Earth

If you click it, it's fine, but DO NOT LOG IN.

Though I would still recommend not clicking on it altogether unless you absolutely know what you are doing. It never hurts to be especially cautious.

Stay safe and don't be an idiot.

Let me stress that you are not an idiot if you have had this happen to you. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when you're not prepared for how nasty the internet can be. Even when you do know, all it can take is one tired moment when you forget to give things a closer look. Just remember that it's always best to be suspicious, any situation out of the ordinary should be analyzed very carefully, anything too good to be true likely is. Do your best to keep yourself safe. If you do make a mistake, remember that you're not the only one, but do your best to learn from it. If you're to make this mistake, better for it to happen here with a handful of virtual hats than with your credit card or bank account.

Let me stress that you are not an idiot if you have had this happen to you. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when you're not prepared for how nasty the internet can be. Even when you do know, all it can take is one tired moment when you forget to give things a closer look. Just remember that it's always best to be suspicious, any situation out of the ordinary should be analyzed very carefully, anything too good to be true likely is. Do your best to keep yourself safe. If you do make a mistake, remember that you're not the only one, but do your best to learn from it. If you're to make this mistake, better for it to happen here with a handful of virtual hats than with your credit card or bank account.

Nice Job Sensei.

It doesn't matter if you logged in by accidently. They still can't get into your account. The ultimate thing they need is the security code (located within your steam files) which bypasses steam guard and into your account.

Never said that if you clicked on a phishing link you're an idiot, just don't be an idiot in general.

How not to get phished

Be careful with Russians, most phishers are russians.

It all goes to Vladmir Pootis

Trying to get out of debt from the Olympics.

My phisher was a French-Canadian. Lol

Must've been Brad or Bucket

they're both canadian

Archived