A new friend wants a gaming laptop... but theres a catch

JayTuut

It can't have gaming in the title, hes got rich parents and their buying it for him lmao. 

Don't ask. He looked at an XPS 15, but thats kinda shit for its price of $2000

His budget is $2500 AUD

He just wants the best laptop for his budget.

Would be cool if he would get a pre-made desktop monitor or build it on his own, but if he is really in for a gaming laptop, i suggest going with the ASUS ROG series. ASUS builds some pretty nice quality laptops from my experience. Although some tend to be heavy, they can run games from this generation pretty nicely!

Wow, I suppose his parents don't want him to be gaming or something? :P 

I remember a couple of years back, the LenovoY510P was da bomb. It didn't have "gaming" in its name, but it handled games really well, especially since it had a pretty sweet SLI setup. 

Might be difficult to find a good laptop at that pricepoint that doesn't have "gaming" plastered all over it. Good luck though!

2 hours ago, Beaser said:

Would be cool if he would get a pre-made desktop monitor or build it on his own, but if he is really in for a gaming laptop, i suggest going with the ASUS ROG series. ASUS builds some pretty nice quality laptops from my experience. Although some tend to be heavy, they can run games from this generation pretty nicely!

1 hour ago, CAaronD said:

Wow, I suppose his parents don't want him to be gaming or something? :P 

I remember a couple of years back, the LenovoY510P was da bomb. It didn't have "gaming" in its name, but it handled games really well, especially since it had a pretty sweet SLI setup. 

Might be difficult to find a good laptop at that pricepoint that doesn't have "gaming" plastered all over it. Good luck though!

28170904_442806316122237_1979297468_o.jpg?oh=536bbbdfcfb54b349f32137ff6479133&oe=5A87F939

He's probably gonna get this

THIRTY TWO wow, gb of ram

1060-6gb and i7-7700HQ

Little expensive for what it is, but its probably the best he can get :P

1 hour ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

28170904_442806316122237_1979297468_o.jpg?oh=536bbbdfcfb54b349f32137ff6479133&oe=5A87F939

1060-6gb and i7-7700HQ

Acer always give issues after the 3rd year and their support is shite

4 minutes ago, RED265 said:

Acer always give issues after the 3rd year and their support is shite

He'll be graduated by then, so all g lmao

5 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

1060-6gb and i7-7700HQ

Sounds like a good computer tbh, Will probably run the games as good if not better then my permanent big computer (whatever thats in english xD). Bought mine a couple of years ago though for 1400$, but then again laptops are overpriced :P

The computer itself is almost the same except I have a GTX-970 instead and 16gb ram, but im always at 100-999 fps.

LoL ~300

GTAV ~130

CSGO ~ 999+

TF2 ~500

Except for PUBG with ~60, but thats terribly optimized.

Go for it, has nothing gamingish in the name xD

I used to have an Acer Aspire. It had some i7 and a GT730M (not gtx). I handled most everything I threw at it pretty well, for a while, but I think a $2500 budget could squeeze some more out of another laptop. With $2500 you could probably find a GTX 1070 maybe even a 1080 laptop. Unfortunately I don't know what the availability of hardware or the shipping costs in Australia.

Does he really need 32 gb of ram? I have 16 on a 3.5 year old computer, and still have no issues.

Have Coffee Lake laptops come out yet? 

Tbh you could try like the Linus Tech Tips forums, or may awesomeMcCoolName will come to your rescue.

What are his school needs? Is this going to be his daily driver for the next few years, or does he have another machine as well?

Edit: In case anyone reading this thread is also in the market for a laptop. I bought the highest spec'ed Mac Book Pro 2017 (the day they announced the ones with the Skylake CPUs was when I ordered). It's the first Mac I've owned, and I love it, BUT I do have a little buyers remorse sometimes. The $3300 USD (including apple care) I spent on it, could have gotten me a windows laptop that is more powerful than the desktop I use now (which I built in 2015). And I still could have done everything I bought the Mac for on it. So just keep that in mind. Are you willing to sacrifice mobile gaming for mobile productivity.

Are Razer Blades an option? Linus seems to love them, and they are like the windows version of a Mac. They even have that nice professional feeling finish. At worst with a razer blade, you can save a buck and buy the external gpu enclosure, though you'd have to buy that AND and desktop gfx card, which are expensive af right now.

I recently purchased this one for only 1800$: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72VR-7RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.190406.0.html

CPU: i7-7700

GPU: GTX-1070

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

HDD: 1 TB & SSD: 512 GB (M.2)

SCREEN with G-Sync & 120 Hz <- best part

With RGB keyboard and this laptop it's really quiet. With 2500$ you can buy something better but probably unecessary

Cheers.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:47 AM, Uro said:

I recently purchased this one for only 1800$: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72VR-7RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.190406.0.html

CPU: i7-7700

GPU: GTX-1070

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

HDD: 1 TB & SSD: 512 GB (M.2)

SCREEN with G-Sync & 120 Hz <- best part

With RGB keyboard and this laptop it's really quiet. With 2500$ you can buy something better but probably unecessary

Cheers.

*googles it* ~ starting at $3200

RIP.

He bought the one i showed a pic of, so time to lock :P

• JayTuut locked this topic

Archived