Sheen and killstreaker values

Alice?

52 minutes ago, You killed starving babies said:

How much is Team Shine worth compared to Hot Rod? Or Singularity compared to Hypno-Beam?

Is there a rule of thumb?

All quite objective, but if you’re looking for popular, purple/violet colors and fire horns(for pro ks) is more popular than the average

55 minutes ago, AdamWTS said:

Depends on a person's taste, really. There are no objectively good and bad effects.

Mean Green and Hypno-Beam are objectively bad, but other than that, it's up to personal preference, I guess.

12 minutes ago, You killed starving babies said:

Mean Green and Hypno-Beam are objectively bad, but other than that, it's up to personal preference, I guess.

Not really, while I don't have many arguments for Mean Green's defense, I met a lot of people saying Hypno Beam is their favourite effect.

I trade heavily on the SCM and pay a lot of attention to Pro KS items, and I can say with a fair degree of certainty that there are some rules of thumb, but also a lot of uncertainty.

Based on my experience, the following is true:

Top Tier:
Fire Horns + Tornado

They're the most visible, so demand is the highest for them.  You can almost always charge extra for them.

Mid Tier:
Incinerator + Flames

Both are very nice, and visible.  You can usually charge at least a bit extra for them.

=================================================

Any effect above here is reasonably likely to sell for a significant fraction more than the cheapest effects.

Any effect below here is not, or at least will probably take too long to sell to make it worth the time.

Of course, any combination has the potential to sell for a good price; some are just much less likely to.

================================================

Low-ish Tier:

Cerebral Discharge

Doesn't usually get offloaded for cheap like 'beams and Singularity, but no one really pays a lot extra for it.

Garbage Tier:

Hypno-Beams. 

Now, to be clear: this does not mean that "no one likes it", or that it is actual garbage, so saying "plenty of people like it" wouldn't counter this at all.  It means that supply of Hypno-Beans is noticeably higher relative to demand than with the other killstreakers, which means that on just about any Pro KS item with a relatively high supply, the cheapest ones will almost always be Hypno-Beams. 

Hypno-beam items are consistently listed below any other sellers, meaning people are willing to undercut to get rid of it.  Buy orders also yield a disproportionately large amount of Hypno-Beam items.

Singularity

The only other effect I see consistently listed as the cheapest is Singularity.  It's better than Hypno-Beams, but not by much.  It's kind of weird, not super visible, and just not great compared to the others.

Sheen is probably less important than killstreaker, but there are definitely tiers here as well:

Top tier:
Team Shine

It's blue if you're on BLU, and red if you're on RED.  Getting two for one makes this the most popular sheen.  You can almost always charge extra for it--even with a crap killstreaker like Hypno-Beams, you're likely to get more than average price.

High Tier

Hot Rod, Violet.

Demand for these isn't far behind TS.  Everyone who wants people to know (or think) they are a girl wants these.  You can almost always charge extra for them.  On popular items, you can charge a lot for them and still have them move quickly.

Okey Tier

Manndarin, Daffodil, Emerald

You can't consistently get anything extra for these, but they also won't hurt your chances of selling the item.

Resigned to Mediocrity Tier

Mean Green

Not sure what to say.  It's just a color that not a lot of people like.

There are no set values, and the % extra that you can expect from a good sheen/effect varies with the item, so there's no use trying to give an amount. 

And of course, any sheen/killstreaker has the potential to appeal to a buyer enough that they'll pay a good amount. 

I prefer Deadly Daffodil or Manndarin on Australium weapons. It enhances the “gold” look.

17 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

High Tier

Hot Rod, Violet.

Demand for these isn't far behind TS.  Everyone who wants people to know (or think) they are a girl wants these.

Or maybe some people just like pink and violet. 🤔

7 hours ago, AdamWTS said:

Depends on a person's taste, really. There are no objectively good and bad effects.

That's not true.  It's a lot less clear-cut than unusual effects, but there is a distinguishable hierarchy:

Firehorns > Incinerator/Tornado/Singularity/etc. > Hypnobeam  I'm combining all effects other than FH and Hypno into one tier because they fetch more or less the same price, while Hypno is a lot more difficult to sell and FH consistently sells for the most.

Sheens are a lot more muddled, but safe to say that TS is at the very top and mean green at the very bottom.  The in-between is debatable and probably largely based on taste. 

EDIT: @3.50 knows what he's talking about.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my personal tier list:

Killstreakers

1. Tornado / Fire Horns

2. Flames

3. Cerebral Discharge

4. Incinerator

5. Hypno-Beam

6. Singularity

Sheens

1. Team Shine (or Deadly Daffodil for Australium weapons)

2. Hot Rod (or Manndarin for Australium weapons)

3. Villainous Violet

4. Deadly Daffodil

5. Manndarin

6. Agonizing Emerald

7. Mean Green

Archived