I got ripped off by a bot

davo

This morning at 11:43am, I saw a good deal and paid 16 ref for a Festive Flamethrower. Only thing was that I accidentally mistaken the Festive for a Strange, which was worth 3 ref. I didn't realise until after I sent the offer and realised that this bot still accepted even though it was the wrong amount. The bot took advantage of me and straight up ripped me off. How do I get my 16 ref back? 

💋 Akeno Himejima 💋 was the bot

The bot didn't take advantage of you. You were the one who screwed up.

Contact the bot owner and see if you can get a refund/the correct item.

1 hour ago, ѕιи said:

The bot didn't take advantage of you. You were the one who screwed up.

Contact the bot owner and see if you can get a refund/the correct item.

This. Also bot owners 9/10 times refund you

Iv'e done this before. Tried to sell my 3 key hat to a bot, but accidentally only put 2 keys. I never messaged the bot owner, but I shouldve.

Just now, Shadyspits said:

Iv'e done this before. Tried to sell my 3 key hat to a bot, but accidentally only put 2 keys. I never messaged the bot owner, but I shouldve.

I almost lost 26 keys 2 days ago but bot owner was really nice and returned my unusual

3 hours ago, davo said:

This morning at 11:43am, I saw a good deal and paid 16 ref for a Festive Flamethrower. Only thing was that I accidentally mistaken the Festive for a Strange, which was worth 3 ref. I didn't realise until after I sent the offer and realised that this bot still accepted even though it was the wrong amount. The bot took advantage of me and straight up ripped me off. How do I get my 16 ref back? 

💋 Akeno Himejima 💋 was the bot

most bot owners are nice enough to return unless you're being an absolute self entitled douche to them. Ofc would be nice to tip them slightly

30 minutes ago, Beaser said:

Just trade back up and there you go, you got your ref back

That's gonna take way longer than just asking for a refund politely, but if worse comes to worse then that's your best option ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, davo said:

The trader said that he doesn't do refunds for some bloody reason. I just feel like quitting trading tbh.

2018-01-28.png

my suggestion? take a screenshot of the trade and -rep him. That'll fuck his reputation as a trader over

$1 may not seem a lot to you guys but it means a damn lot to me. My backpack value is literally below what I started with now thanks to that one bad trade. 

200 trades, already conveniently sorted by date, "huge work" to look through?

Ridiculous.  He could have found it in the time it took to type his refusal.

Leave him a -rep, he deserves every bit of it.

No -trust will be left here (or at leats it won't stay there), cause he is not obligated to give you any items back when it was your mistake initially.

Sure would have been nice of him but we dont do -trusts for people not being nice. 

7 hours ago, Woifilicious said:

No -trust will be left here (or at leats it won't stay there), cause he is not obligated to give you any items back when it was your mistake initially.

Sure would have been nice of him but we dont do -trusts for people not being nice. 

I feel this is inconsistent with what I've read here : 

OP contacted the bot owner and he straight up refused to refund him with a BS answer (for a whooping 13 ref profit ).

This was clearly a one-sided trade as no one overpays a bot.

Also I would like to ask the OP to leave a -rep on the bot account instead of the owner's, because clearly this guy doesn't uses his main for trading so it wouldn't be noticed at all.

2 hours ago, qqn said:

I feel this is inconsistent with what I've read here : 

OP contacted the bot owner and he straight up refused to refund him with a BS answer (for a whooping 13 ref profit ).

This was clearly a one-sided trade as no one overpays a bot.

Also I would like to ask the OP to leave a -rep on the bot account instead of the owner's, because clearly this guy doesn't uses his main for trading so it wouldn't be noticed at all.

No there is a huge difference. Please read the post you linked. Accidently gifting means NOTHING in return. One sided trade offers.

12 hours ago, 3.50 said:

200 trades, already conveniently sorted by date, "huge work" to look through?

Ridiculous.  He could have found it in the time it took to type his refusal.

Leave him a -rep, he deserves every bit of it.

Exactly. The offer was sent fair and square. Anything you make a deal for is final. You can’t get your money back for a car you thought was a good deal, but turns out it’s not worth a lot. And 16 ref? Come on. Look I get that your inventory isn’t worth anything but if you don’t have the reasources to even buy a couple keys you shouldn’t be trading to start with. And if you say you can’t add funds because you don’t own a credit card, don’t spend all day trading for 1 ref or two profit for god sake. Please make better use of your time

17 hours ago, davo said:

$1 may not seem a lot to you guys but it means a damn lot to me. My backpack value is literally below what I started with now thanks to that one bad trade. 

I get that, but I will give you the same advice that everyone on these forums gives now:  Invest at least $20 into trading before you start.  It's just not worth it otherwise.  How long did it take you to trade up to those 13 ref?  Even if it was only 1 hour (although I'm guessing it was much longer), you made $1 per hour.  That's literally how much some poor kid in a factory in China makes.  There are plenty of things you can do to earn money, e.g. offer to shovel your neighbours' driveway, mow lawns, etc. - all these things will pay much more than $1 per hour.  Once you've got $20, just buy a Steam giftcard and buy keys. 

5 hours ago, Woifilicious said:

No there is a huge difference. Please read the post you linked. Accidently gifting means NOTHING in return. One sided trade offers.

So this kind of bothers me.  Is there actually a huge difference between accidental gifting and accidental overpayment or other mistakes?  I know that there is a difference in terms of the current site rules, but I would call into question whether there is any practical difference, and whether there should be a difference in the rules for one vs. the other. 

One might argue that a bot owner refusing to refund an accidental overpayment is not actually very different at all than accidental gifting. 

The reason being that the bot has advertised that they'll accept "X" in payment for "Y".  So if someone gives them "X + 5" for "Y", it's pretty clear that it was an accident.

Both accidental gifting and accidental overpayment/selecting the wrong item involve accidentally giving someone something.  (In OP's case, the bot had a S. Flamer listed for 3.11, and accepted 16 for it). Both scenarios involve the person who sends the offer making a mistake and paying more, or paying for the wrong thing.  Why shouldn't the same logic as to who's responsible and how it should be handled apply equally to both cases?

What actually differentiates the one from the other?  Saying "nothing in return" vs. "something in return" is an easy place to draw the line, but it can't be that simple.  What if someone sends hundreds of keys in an offer and accidentally chooses a strange Team Captain instead of an unusual one they meant to pay for?  What if it was a crate accidentally chosen in exchange for hundreds of keys?  That's not actually nothing in return, but in practical terms, it sure is.  Would you still consider that to be hugely different than if they had sent the keys but completely forgotten to ask for anything in return?  According to the current rules (as I understand them), there's a line drawn there, when there's no difference at all in practical terms.

Particularly in a case where there's a bot who had a price clearly listed (which could be considered an open trade agreement with anyone who accepts the terms) and then the owner accepts and refuses to return extra currency given in error, it seems like a -trust could be the perfect solution: it's not a punishment, nor does it remove any ability of the person to trade.  It does, however, function as a warning from one trader to other traders to be careful because the person has shown that they will knowingly take advantage of any error made by others.  And isn't that precisely why leaving -trust was eventually allowed in the case of one-sided trades that were proven not to be gifts?

As Teeny said in that thread,

"...I don't agree that keeping items someone sent you in error is stealing or that it necessarily makes you untrustworthy (though it does make you an asshole, no doubt.) But, I hear you all when you say that it does matter to you and it's something you'd want to know. End of the day, trust doesn't stop you from trading with someone, just gives you some background to inform your decision."

It seems to me that the same logic should apply equally to both cases, but currently they're treated differently.  Your thoughts?

1 minute ago, 3.50 said:

As Teeny said in that thread,

"...I don't agree that keeping items someone sent you in error is stealing or that it necessarily makes you untrustworthy (though it does make you an asshole, no doubt.) But, I hear you all when you say that it does matter to you and it's something you'd want to know. End of the day, trust doesn't stop you from trading with someone, just gives you some background to inform your decision."

I had a similar situation to the op. I put in my time warp halogen headlamp instead of dead president and potentially could have lost 26 keys+. He was kind enough to return it but if he hadn't, I would still feel a -trust is in order. If trust is meant to give a background on a user should people not be fully informed about that person's character?

4 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

You are so late to this discussion. I put it simply. Accidently gifting = no doubt that the intent was no gifting. Accidental overpay can always be a guy changing his mind after a trade, regretting the trade etc. This would create a lot of reports after that, and people threaten to report. We don't want that. 

Anyways I'm locking this thread now. I think everything has been said.

• Woifi The Viking locked this topic

Archived