Help me build a PC

Swagman!

idk anything about computers (my current is a Lenovo laptop fromike 2013 that's around $400) and I'd probably have my brother build it for me or something. 

I want the PC to be able to run the best games on the highest quality and potentially be used with a VR if that matters. I also don't know what kind of screen thing to use.

My current budget it $1300-$2000

pls help me, thanks :)

You know if I were you I would probably buy a beast gaming laptop with 2000$.Some examples  are here: http://www.gaminggizmo.com/laptops-under-2000/

These are the laptops that run GTX 1080s 

But if your budget is 1350$ I would recommend the Acer Helios 300

with a gtx 1060 and 16 gigs of ram expandable up to 32gb

I would by a laptop since it’s like portable and I can game on the go

BUT if you really want a desktop this is the most powerful PC I could find

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Xtreme-GXiVR8080A2-Overclockable-i7-8700K/dp/B075VSBNQZ/ref=as_sl_pc_as_ss_li_til?tag=thtebusgu-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=59f5e37c3b799213fb228434c69f6f16&creativeASIN=B075VSBNQZ

It comes with a gtx 1080 16 gigs of ram and an Intel I-7 8700K and a 1TB drive . If you need anymore help just add me on steam😇😇😇😇

23 minutes ago, unstopaBULLY said:

@AwesomeMcCoolName

^^He's our resident PC expert, he told me to get for my desktop I bought the parts and assembled and it works like a charm.

Because of the whole mining craze going on, buying a prebuilt COULD potentially be the cheaper/better option right now, and I unfortunately don't know much about who's selling what and for how much and frankly I'm just too lazy to delve through the dozen or so OEMs.

With that in mind, I can give a general hardware recommendation to aim for.

GPU: If you want to play any AAA titles at 1080p 60fps now and in the near future, then you're going to want >=1070 (the 1070Ti is pretty close in performance to a 1080, but usually much cheaper). If you want to do 4k/144hz, then you probably want to look towards a 1080Ti if you want to account for all games.

CPU: An 8700k would be the best option, if you want to do high framerate gaming, if you're okay with 60fps, then an R5 1600/8600k would be good choices for quite a bit less money (especially the 1600 route).

RAM: You'll want 16gb -- you can always overclock memory, so don't pay a large premium for faster ram. 

Storage: You'll probably want a 240gb SSD + 1/2TB HDD.

PSU: Basically anything from tier 1-3 from this link (>=450w should be fine, 550w if you go with a 1080Ti): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Monitor: There are a few choices that only you can make. You could go IPS (better colors) or TN (cheaper); 1080p, ultrawide 1080p, 1440p, ultrawide 1440p, or 4k; 60hz (standard refresh rate), 75hz (a bit above standard, the refresh rate on a lot of FreeSync monitors), 144hz (high refresh rate), or even 240hz (extra high refresh rate). Plenty of people love high refresh rate monitors, but I personally don't care too much about it and much prefer going with a good 60hz IPS display (there are 144hz IPS displays, but they tend to be much more expensive). I also personally notice a much bigger difference until 90fps and see diminishing returns after that, so I would probably opt for a 75hz Freesync IPS monitor (freesync won't work with an Nvidia GPU, but it doesn't usually add anything to the cost, but it opens your options for the future).

Was trying to put together a decent build on pcpartpicker, but there are no GPUs at a decent price. Anything prebuilt is probably cheaper rn, with a 1080ti running stupid expensive . Glad I got my 1060 Strix before the mining craze. Paid a cool 260$ for it.

Just wait until the small part between this cryptocurrency craze and the next one, when people are just trying to sell off their stuff.

11 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Because of the whole mining craze going on, buying a prebuilt COULD potentially be the cheaper/better option right now, and I unfortunately don't know much about who's selling what and for how much and frankly I'm just too lazy to delve through the dozen or so OEMs.

With that in mind, I can give a general hardware recommendation to aim for.

GPU: If you want to play any AAA titles at 1080p 60fps now and in the near future, then you're going to want >=1070 (the 1070Ti is pretty close in performance to a 1080, but usually much cheaper). If you want to do 4k/144hz, then you probably want to look towards a 1080Ti if you want to account for all games.

CPU: An 8700k would be the best option, if you want to do high framerate gaming, if you're okay with 60fps, then an R5 1600/8600k would be good choices for quite a bit less money (especially the 1600 route).

RAM: You'll want 16gb -- you can always overclock memory, so don't pay a large premium for faster ram. 

Storage: You'll probably want a 240gb SSD + 1/2TB HDD.

PSU: Basically anything from tier 1-3 from this link (>=450w should be fine, 550w if you go with a 1080Ti): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Monitor: There are a few choices that only you can make. You could go IPS (better colors) or TN (cheaper); 1080p, ultrawide 1080p, 1440p, ultrawide 1440p, or 4k; 60hz (standard refresh rate), 75hz (a bit above standard, the refresh rate on a lot of FreeSync monitors), 144hz (high refresh rate), or even 240hz (extra high refresh rate). Plenty of people love high refresh rate monitors, but I personally don't care too much about it and much prefer going with a good 60hz IPS display (there are 144hz IPS displays, but they tend to be much more expensive). I also personally notice a much bigger difference until 90fps and see diminishing returns after that, so I would probably opt for a 75hz Freesync IPS monitor (freesync won't work with an Nvidia GPU, but it doesn't usually add anything to the cost, but it opens your options for the future).

Thank you! Also how would I go about buying a prebuilt?

1 hour ago, Swagman! said:

Thank you! Also how would I go about buying a prebuilt?

Check out what's available from Dell, Digital Storm, Alienware, Cyberpower PC, Asus, Acer, iBuyPower, and MSI (check both their sites themselves as well as best buy, amazon, microcenter, etc...).

Hey,

According to your budget you can definitely build a better PC for you. 

Type

Item

Price

CPU

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

$227.99

CPU Cooler

Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

$96.99

Motherboard

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

$118.89

Memory

GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

$62.99

Storage

Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

$109.99

Storage

Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

$99.98

Video Card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card

$428.89

Case

Corsair Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case

$99.99

Power Supply

SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

$78.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

Total at time of filming

$1324.69

Adrian Gates

Sr. Cloud Expert - CloudDesktopOnline.

9 minutes ago, AdrianG001 said:

Hey,

According to your budget you can definitely build a better PC for you. 

Type

Item

Price

CPU

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

$227.99

CPU Cooler

Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

$96.99

Motherboard

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

$118.89

Memory

GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

$62.99

Storage

Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

$109.99

Storage

Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

$99.98

Video Card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card

$428.89

Case

Corsair Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case

$99.99

Power Supply

SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

$78.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

Total at time of filming

$1324.69

Adrian Gates

Sr. Cloud Expert - CloudDesktopOnline.

You really shouldn't be giving advise if you have no idea what you're talking about. You're quoting some video that was made months ago. Since then, Coffee Lake has been released -- an 8600k is significantly better than a 6600k, RAM prices have nearly tripled, the UV 400 is a pretty mediocre SSD, and GPUs have nearly doubled (or more) in price due to mining.

1 minute ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

You really shouldn't be giving advise if you have no idea what you're talking about. You're quoting some video that was made months ago. Since then, Coffee Lake has been released -- an 8600k is significantly better than a 6600k, RAM prices have nearly tripled, the UV 400 is a pretty mediocre SSD, and GPUs have nearly doubled (or more) in price due to mining.

I think you should check the prices with amazon some might be equal some might have changed. :) you can plan your budget accordingly thank you 

3 minutes ago, AdrianG001 said:

I think you should check the prices with amazon some might be equal some might have changed. :) you can plan your budget accordingly thank you 

No. RAM prices have tripled and GPU prices have roughly doubled (or more) across the board. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and shouldn't be recommending anything to anyone.

Cheapest 16gb DDR4: $159.99 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

Cheapest 1070: $849 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=price&page=1

1 minute ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

No. RAM prices have tripled and GPU prices have roughly doubled (or more) across the board. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

Cheapest 16gb DDR4: $159.99 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

Cheapest 1070: $849 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=price&page=1

Well i just checked in the prices ! seriously it has doubled. I could have checked the prices before suggesting your for your budget :blink:

On 1/29/2018 at 3:53 PM, AdrianG001 said:

Well i just checked in the prices ! seriously it has doubled. I could have checked the prices before suggesting your for your budget :blink:

Lol. Video cards have been double since the summer of 2017 or so.

Archived