Good cheap android phones?

JayTuut

Budget, whatever u wanna say

This is for my dad.

Only requirements:
Android 7 or above

Good camera

Must be able to be bought in AU or shipped here at least (I know some that were nice like the UTC 10 couldnt be shipped)

Thats it. Thanks :P. 

Also: good camera ≠ to megapixels (e.g. The Kogan Agora 8 is what im looking at for my dad, which is $150-200 AUD (120-160 USD) but even tho the camera is 21MP with a 8MP front, its pretty shotty)

He has a galaxy s2, so very old, just wanting to upgrade as a gift for him. Thanks! :)

You really can't go wrong with a moto g5 or g5+ as far as budget phones are concerned. I've heard some good stuff about the honor 7x too, you could check it out.

I tend to buy last-gen flagships instead of new midrangers because they almost always have better performance and cameras, but most of them are still $300 and up. (I paid around $300 for a brand new oneplus 3 last year, and so far it's holding up great even though it's over a year old)

3 hours ago, uber! said:

You really can't go wrong with a moto g5 or g5+ as far as budget phones are concerned. I've heard some good stuff about the honor 7x too, you could check it out.

I tend to buy last-gen flagships instead of new midrangers because they almost always have better performance and cameras, but most of them are still $300 and up. (I paid around $300 for a brand new oneplus 3 last year, and so far it's holding up great even though it's over a year old)

Yeah i almost got the oneplus 5, then the 5T but decided against them as the Razer Phone was better in every way (apart from camera) :P

12 hours ago, Ashannabuda said:

I personally use the Moto G5+ and it's wonderful!

3 hours ago, uber! said:

Honor 7x looks amazing.

Moto G5+ here is $359 (AUD), it has dual sim which my dad likes, only a snapdragon 625 but thats okay since he doesnt do anything CPU intensive.

How is the camera @Ashannabuda ? He loves taking pictures while he's away.

Also the 7x isn't avaliable from any Australian stores that I can see, but it is a fair bit cheaper ($267, so like $92 cheaper)

Camera is better in MP for the 7x (has a telescope, 4 more MP, but a worse selfie one) both have dual sim and micro sd slots 

G5+ has more PPI, but 7x might have a better resolution, 7x = 2160x1080 vs G5+ = 1080x1920

It's a tight one, but because the Honor 7x is like $92 cheaper (well, depends on both the postages) I might be leaning towards that.

11 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Honor 7x looks amazing.

Moto G5+ here is $359 (AUD), it has dual sim which my dad likes, only a snapdragon 625 but thats okay since he doesnt do anything CPU intensive.

Also the 7x isn't avaliable from any Australian stores that I can see, but it is a fair bit cheaper ($267, so like $92 cheaper)

Camera is better in MP for the 7x (has a telescope, 4 more MP, but a worse selfie one) both have dual sim and micro sd slots 

G5+ has more PPI, but 7x might have a better resolution, 7x = 2160x1080 vs G5+ = 1080x1920

It's a tight one, but because the Honor 7x is like $92 cheaper (well, depends on both the postages) I might be leaning towards that.

Resolution/PPI is pretty pointless at that point. 

The 7x is a slightly bigger phone with a much bigger screen (6" vs. 5.2"), although because of that the fingerprint reader is also on the back (good for some, bad for others). The 7x also has more RAM and a slightly better CPU. The 7x definitely takes the edge on the cameras as well. The 7x is an all around better phone, the only reason to consider the G5+ is that it's much closer to stock Android. 

20 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Honor 7x looks amazing.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g5-plus/3

On 1/23/2018 at 4:07 AM, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Budget, whatever u wanna say

This is for my dad.

Only requirements:
Android 7 or above

Good camera

Must be able to be bought in AU or shipped here at least (I know some that were nice like the UTC 10 couldnt be shipped)

Thats it. Thanks :P. 

Also: good camera ≠ to megapixels (e.g. The Kogan Agora 8 is what im looking at for my dad, which is $150-200 AUD (120-160 USD) but even tho the camera is 21MP with a 8MP front, its pretty shotty)

He has a galaxy s2, so very old, just wanting to upgrade as a gift for him. Thanks! :)

What about getting a oneplus 3t off of amazon or something? 

Just now, S T E W said:

What about getting a oneplus 3t off of amazon or something? 

Those cost as much as 5T's to get here, so nah.

Doing a minimal research, the Moto G5+ 32gb looks the best for that bracket. Or a S7 with 32/64 gb. I've got a pixel xl, and through a 2 year contract, the phone cost will be 360$ instead of retail.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Amazon-Alexa-Leica-Camera/dp/B01N1JV80Z/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516850706&sr=1-4&keywords=huawei+phones

This looks pretty promising for 499$

5 hours ago, S T E W said:

Doing a minimal research, the Moto G5+ 32gb looks the best for that bracket. Or a S7 with 32/64 gb. I've got a pixel xl, and through a 2 year contract, the phone cost will be 360$ instead of retail.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Amazon-Alexa-Leica-Camera/dp/B01N1JV80Z/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516850706&sr=1-4&keywords=huawei+phones

This looks pretty promising for 499$

Thats still way too expensive, after shipping its like $506, which is $626.83 AUD. I meant cheap as in cheap. Not mid tier.

The 7x looks the best spec and looks wise, and i think @AwesomeMcCoolName agrees. And thats like $250 AUD (edit: 300 on ebay, 285 after shipping from a sketchy place) / (201$ USD). 

So probably gonna get the honor 7x.

4 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Thats still way too expensive, after shipping its like $506, which is $626.83 AUD. I meant cheap as in cheap. Not mid tier.

The 7x looks the best spec and looks wise, and i think @AwesomeMcCoolName agrees. And thats like $250 AUD (edit: 300 on ebay, 285 after shipping from a sketchy place) / (201$ USD). 

So probably gonna get the honor 7x.

I agree that the 7x is better than the g5+, but I don't pay much attention to the low end Android market, so I don't know if it's the best. 

Archived