CPU jumping to 100 degrees Celsius

JayTuut

It can drop to 60 and not make much noise in my case. Then it can be 80 and make a fair bit of noise and then its now staying tonight around 90-100C. I even bought a new fan specifically for it so I'm really worried, its not even overclocked

Its an i7-7700k kaby lake.

Dunno why its so fucking high O_o. What should i do?

It could be shit TIM or the cooler could be mounted poorly. Did you apply new thermal paste when you put on the new cooler? Did you remove the clear plastic sticker from the bottom of the cooler before putting it on? Do you get consistent temps when load testing with the same program?

29 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

It could be shit TIM or the cooler could be mounted poorly. Did you apply new thermal paste when you put on the new cooler? Did you remove the clear plastic sticker from the bottom of the cooler before putting it on? Do you get consistent temps when load testing with the same program?

1) yes. 2) yes 3) the program isnt a tester, its called CPUID and its just a monitor and shows you the temperature, it was literally when i was just on my desktop downloading driver updates.

The cooler mounted poorly could be possible though. My brother installed it for me but he couldnt get the fan seperated from the cooling mechanism, so he just screwed it on with his hands

Cooler in question 04_top_sh_m9.jpg (m9i)

9 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

1) yes. 2) yes 3) the program isnt a tester, its called CPUID and its just a monitor and shows you the temperature, it was literally when i was just on my desktop downloading driver updates.

The cooler mounted poorly could be possible though. My brother installed it for me but he couldnt get the fan seperated from the cooling mechanism, so he just screwed it on with his hands

Cooler in question  (m9i)

Open task manager and make sure your CPU usage is <20%~, what are your temps? Then run prime95 or Aida64, what are your temps?

You probably need to remount the cooler properly. 

Congratulations you lost the Silicon Lottery! But yea try remounting your cooler. DONT FORGET to wipe off your CPU and the cooler AND add new thermal paste

Probably mounting or paste issue, you should clean it up apply new (higher quality) paste. Maybe you should also check cooler base and CPU heat-spreader (after cleaning) with peace of flat glass - make sure they are both flat.

13 minutes ago, ᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴀɴ said:

i thought you said 100 degrees F, how the f*ck can it get so hot?!

CPUs/GPUs can safely run up to 90ºc~ long term, 100ºc is really easy to reach. 

10 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Open task manager and make sure your CPU usage is <20%~, what are your temps? Then run prime95 or Aida64, what are your temps?

You probably need to remount the cooler properly. 

It goes from 6%-30% on desktop randomly. RN its 80-100 when i just turned on my PC. I'm worried of running those cause if im getting 100 degrees without doing anything... then... yeah.. ill kill it using those.

24 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

It goes from 6%-30% on desktop randomly. RN its 80-100 when i just turned on my PC. I'm worried of running those cause if im getting 100 degrees without doing anything... then... yeah.. ill kill it using those.

Remount your cooler.

5 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Remount your cooler.

Well, we did that and reapplied paste and now my computer won't even turn on. And there's lights on the motherboard indicating it can't detect A CPU, looks like the cooler also bent it.

1 hour ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Well, we did that and reapplied paste and now my computer won't even turn on. And there's lights on the motherboard indicating it can't detect A CPU, looks like the cooler also bent it.

The cooler bent the CPU? Can you provide a picture?

17 hours ago, SpotlightR said:

The cooler bent the CPU? Can you provide a picture?

Or maybe I did, I don't fucking know. I couldnt get a good picture and its not too bent so kinda hard to see, I just tried putting my old cpu and old motherboard in and thats what im on now. But the fucking ethernet on both motherboards doesnt fit in properly cause of the clip.. it worked on this motherboard before but now i cant get the ethernet in. Fucking hell.

1 hour ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Or maybe I did, I don't fucking know. I couldnt get a good picture and its not too bent so kinda hard to see, I just tried putting my old cpu and old motherboard in and thats what im on now. But the fucking ethernet on both motherboards doesnt fit in properly cause of the clip.. it worked on this motherboard before but now i cant get the ethernet in. Fucking hell.

Did you by some chance let the grounding clip in the ethernet port (that would block a lot of the port and prevent the ethernet plug from fitting).

18 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Did you by some chance let the grounding clip in the ethernet port (that would block a lot of the port and prevent the ethernet plug from fitting).

Yes. But its happened on both motherboards and i dont know how to stop it apart from bending it back and even then that doesnt seem to work.

58 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

Yes. But its happened on both motherboards and i dont know how to stop it apart from bending it back and even then that doesnt seem to work.

Take a picture of it. If it's what I think it is, then you can just break off the grounding clip, it's not needed. 

5 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Take a picture of it. If it's what I think it is, then you can just break off the grounding clip, it's not needed. 

The problem is, i'd have to take the whole motherboard out and everything off to get rid of that grounding clip :/

2 minutes ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

The problem is, i'd have to take the whole motherboard out and everything off to get rid of that grounding clip :/

Take a picture. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Take a picture. 

Of just the ethernet port or? 

Also it has a red light, and my brother tried to bend the clip away and he got a red light and a flashing green one at the same time

6 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

https://imgur.com/GcsferC

The light above the red flickers green too... While the red stays on

Ethernet_LEDs_NormalOperation_BothTypes.gif

The LEDs just indicate the activity going on with the port. 

I also can't really tell anything from the picture as it's not particularly clear. 

10 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Ethernet_LEDs_NormalOperation_BothTypes.gif

The LEDs just indicate the activity going on with the port. 

I also can't really tell anything from the picture as it's not particularly clear. 

You can clearly see the red light and the clip and not the green above cause it only flickers.. hard to take a pic of the back of my PC

17 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

image.thumb.png.7c430046985be71c3ada30f661b84706.png

Okay I took another picture

Basically:
The red circle is the red light that beeps every 10 seconds or so

The green circle is the green light that is now staying on

The blue circle is the clip from the motherboard that my brother has bent out of the port and moved it out of the case to try to fix it (didn't though)

@AwesomeMcCoolName replaced the ethernet but I think the problem was that since I switched motherboards the drivers didnt work, so I went to realtek and got the family controller GBE thing and installed it and it fixed it :P 

Archived