Regarding Festive Aussies

SpotlightR

Unclear, but they seem to be glitched

Official update notes:

• Expanded the list of weapons that can be Festivized!
    • Ubersaw, Dragon's Fury, Amputator, Air Strike, Back Scratcher, Scotsman's Skullcutter, Bazaar Bargain, Black Box, Claidheamh Mòr, Crusader's Crossbow, Degreaser, Loose Cannon, Persian Persuader, Detonator, Brass Beast, Holy Mackerel, Loch-n-Load, Powerjack, Iron Bomber, Reserve Shooter, Disciplinary Action, Family Business, Shahanshah, Scorch Shot, Shortstop, Soda Popper, Rescue Ranger, Tomislav, Panic Attack, Winger

Nothing mentioned, so I would assume it is unintended

Pretty sure it's unintended as well. It looks like they were trying to make all the war paint stuff festiveable but went a little too far.

In any case, I'm happy with the results from when I tried:

ypiY3BW.jpg

Though one thing to note: You cannot change the styles for Stickybomb Launchers that have been festivized. Pity, as I think the white lights would have looked amazing on an Australium.

4 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

It looks like they were trying to make all the war paint stuff festiveable but went a little too far.

That's because they changed how War Paints work compared to Gun Mettle and Tough Break skins.

Old skins were all separate items in the item schema, like Botkillers and old Festives.

New War Paints however are not separate items, rather they the original basic version with the skin applied to individual copies in the same way that paint is applied to individual hats. Australiums are also like this.

Festivizers would likely work on a defindex whitelist. So for example they added defindex 205 to the whitelist to allow all the War Paint Rocket Launchers to be festivized, but also plain Rocket Launchers and Australium Rocket Launchers are also defindex 205.

I guess the question would be; why weren't Rocket Launchers included in the patch notes while something like the Black Box was? And the answer it very likely - War Paints. They were making a list of all the new items that could be Festivized, but while the update included making Rocket Launcher War Paints festivized you could already do that to old Rocket Launcher skins so therefore they weren't a new item and weren't included in the list.

tl;dr - Valve had an old system, and added items that worked off the old system, then they changed the system without thinking about the consequences of doing so, then they released some patch notes that were overly simplistic.

Archived