CPU upgrade for PUBG?

JayTuut

Awesome said my FPS lag could be from my CPU, and im getting FPS drops in siege.

And then today playing siege i was getting heaps FPS lag and i checked and in task manager my CPU was at 100% usage from the game.

Any suggestions?

Current CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Thats only a year old though right? Shouldnt be the problem Maybe outdated software or other issues? If you have avast or similar you should run a performance scan.

My computer runs everything fine and my CPU is ancient (2013):

Intel i7 Extreme-4960x CPU @ 3.60GHz

4 hours ago, Findiculous said:

Thats only a year old though right? Shouldnt be the problem Maybe outdated software or other issues? If you have avast or similar you should run a performance scan.

A 4960x also has 2 extra cores and 8 extra threads, which can make a big difference (especially in newer AAA titles). And the IPC increase from Ivy Bridge to Skylake is only about 15% (so 3.2ghz skylake ~ 3.7ghz Ivy Bridge). Plus, you have faster memory and you are potentially running at lower settings, so the GPU becomes more of the bottleneck.

5 hours ago, Bank Bot Bob trade.tf said:

That's already a pretty good cpu, unless you want to upgrade to i7

Depending on the game and the GPU, even a 7600k can be a problem, let alone a 6500, which is quite a bit slower than a 7600k even at stock -- about 20% slower. Plus a 7700k can showed noticeably better performance than a 7600k (again, let alone a 6500) depending on the game/gpu.

17 hours ago, Findiculous said:

13 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

A 4960x also has 2 extra cores and 8 extra threads, which can make a big difference (especially in newer AAA titles). And the IPC increase from Ivy Bridge to Skylake is only about 15% (so 3.2ghz skylake ~ 3.7ghz Ivy Bridge). Plus, you have faster memory and you are potentially running at lower settings, so the GPU becomes more of the bottleneck.

Depending on the game and the GPU, even a 7600k can be a problem, let alone a 6500, which is quite a bit slower than a 7600k even at stock -- about 20% slower. Plus a 7700k can showed noticeably better performance than a 7600k (again, let alone a 6500) depending on the game/gpu.

Yeah my CPU usage was at 100% all from pubg (like using 80-90%) and discord (using 10-12%), everything else was at like 1%.

I also am aiming to get a 240hz or so monitor, as well as a new GPU so i'll need to upgrade my CPU anyway, but im just having problems playing PUBG now and thats why i wanna fix it first.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:23 AM, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

I also am aiming to get a 240hz or so monitor, as well as a new GPU so i'll need to upgrade my CPU anyway, but im just having problems playing PUBG now and thats why i wanna fix it first.

A 240hz monitor for the most part doesn't really offer the benefit of the price unless you are good enough to find use in it. Most of the 240hz monitors also sport G-Sync, which increases the price dramatically because nVidia knows they don't need to be competitive with AMD and Freesync. 

Archived