General questions.

Dwevy

1. Don't buy a refurbished AIO. AIOs tend to have a limited life anyway, so refurbished just adds to that, plus 120mm AIOs are just overpriced for the performance they offer. On top of all of that, Ryzen's stock cooler is good enough to overclock a 1600 most of the time. (Oh, and Corsair released AM4 compatible hardware, but it's probably not included in that refurbished unit and they probably aren't giving them away for free anymore -- not that it's a big deal, they're only like $5).
  2. What are you using your computer for? Gaming, streaming, rendering? 
  3. Go with cheaper memory (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nq38TW/kingston-memory-hx424c15fbk216)
  4. You can also get a cheaper 1070.
  5. Get a 1600 instead of a 1600x, since it's cheaper and will overclock just as well. (This could change depending on how you answer #2)
  6. What's the rest of your hardware (specifically your PSU)?

9 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:
  1. Don't buy a refurbished AIO. AIOs tend to have a limited life anyway, so refurbished just adds to that, plus 120mm AIOs are just overpriced for the performance they offer. On top of all of that, Ryzen's stock cooler is good enough to overclock a 1600 most of the time. (Oh, and Corsair released AM4 compatible hardware, but it's probably not included in that refurbished unit and they probably aren't giving them away for free anymore -- not that it's a big deal, they're only like $5).
  2. What are you using your computer for? Gaming, streaming, rendering? 
  3. Go with cheaper memory (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nq38TW/kingston-memory-hx424c15fbk216)
  4. You can also get a cheaper 1070.
  5. Get a 1600 instead of a 1600x, since it's cheaper and will overclock just as well. (This could change depending on how you answer #2)
  6. What's the rest of your hardware (specifically your PSU)?

1. The Ryzen 1600x doesn't come with a stock cooler. So I need suggestions for a new cooler.

2. I'd like to have enough horsepower to play games at 1080p ultra with some room to stream in the future.

3. I'd like to have a minimum of 16gb of RAM.

4. I'm getting the 1070 that you recommended in the past. 

5. I don't mind paying a bit extra for the 1600x.

6. my psu is: Corsair 750W CX750 Bronze ATX Power Supply/PSU / https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-cx-series-cx750-80plus-bronze-fully-wired-single-rail-625a-plus12v-140mm-fan-atx-psu?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1JbPBRCrARIsAOKj2PlTOWt9U5vPyGVrfCCvgPOtihO2MmAMKmrNfUi7LF0N4qT1V-pTzowaAmNnEALw_wcB

4 hours ago, Dwevy said:

1. The Ryzen 1600x doesn't come with a stock cooler. So I need suggestions for a new cooler.

2. I'd like to have enough horsepower to play games at 1080p ultra with some room to stream in the future.

3. I'd like to have a minimum of 16gb of RAM.

4. I'm getting the 1070 that you recommended in the past. 

5. I don't mind paying a bit extra for the 1600x.

6. my psu is: Corsair 750W CX750 Bronze ATX Power Supply/PSU / https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-cx-series-cx750-80plus-bronze-fully-wired-single-rail-625a-plus12v-140mm-fan-atx-psu?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1JbPBRCrARIsAOKj2PlTOWt9U5vPyGVrfCCvgPOtihO2MmAMKmrNfUi7LF0N4qT1V-pTzowaAmNnEALw_wcB

1. There's literally 0 benefit to the 1600x, save the money and get the 1600 with the stock cooler.
  2. 1070+1600 should be fine then. 
  3. The RAM I linked is 16gb. 
  4. I recommended that 1070 because in the past it was cheaper compared to other options -- any dual fan 1070 is good. 
  5. See #1.
  6. Alright, PSU is good then. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:
  1. There's literally 0 benefit to the 1600x, save the money and get the 1600 with the stock cooler.
  2. 1070+1600 should be fine then. 
  3. The RAM I linked is 16gb. 
  4. I recommended that 1070 because in the past it was cheaper compared to other options -- any dual fan 1070 is good. 
  5. See #1.
  6. Alright, PSU is good then. 

Wont the 1600 or even the 1600x bottleneck with the 1070? I''ve looked into it and it seems that there may be bottlenecking and may be more apparent in the near future. 

27 minutes ago, Dwevy said:

Wont the 1600 or even the 1600x bottleneck with the 1070? I''ve looked into it and it seems that there may be bottlenecking and may be more apparent in the near future. 

The 1600 and 1600x are identical. Ryzen struggles pushing higher framerates as then more of the load shifts onto the CPU, but for 60 fps it's more than enough, and as time goes on, games will become more graphically demanding so the 1070 will be the problem. If you want 144hz gaming, then no question Coffee Lake is better, but for 60fps, Ryzen is just as good and it offers double the threads and at a much cheaper pricepoint. 

Just now, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

The 1600 and 1600x are identical. Ryzen struggles pushing higher framerates as then more of the load shifts onto the CPU, but for 60 fps it's more than enough, and as time goes on, games will become more graphically demanding so the 1070 will be the problem. If you want 144hz gaming, then no question Coffee Lake is better, but for 60fps, Ryzen is just as good and it offers double the threads and at a much cheaper pricepoint. 

I do plan on playing at 1080p ultra at 144hz, so should I scrap the ryzen? I'm really lost at this point.

7 minutes ago, Dwevy said:

I do plan on playing at 1080p ultra at 144hz, so should I scrap the ryzen? I'm really lost at this point.

What games are you planning on playing then? Because even now a 1070 can't do 144fps in all games unless you turn settings down. You'd want an 8700k+Z370 board+something like a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler, and a 1070Ti (or ideally more since even a 1070Ti is at the edge).

What games are you planning on playing then? Because even now a 1070 can't do 144fps unless you turn settings down.

Team fortress 2, Fallout 4, and new games such as BF1 and any upcoming games really. But I don't really care for V-sync or anything like that. I just want a system that won't have problems for a while, consistent and good.

7 minutes ago, Dwevy said:

Team fortress 2, Fallout 4, and new games such as BF1 and any upcoming games really. But I don't really care for V-sync or anything like that. I just want a system that won't have problems for a while, consistent and good.

Vsync is just going to cap the framerate at 144fps to limit tearing from going over. You're probably thinking of Gsync/Freesync. 

If you want 144fps ultra 1080p gaming, today, then you need a 1070Ti and an 8700k. In the future, you'll need more since the 1070Ti is already at the edge of that window in some recent titles. Of course, you can turn settings down, but then you're not at 1080p ultra.

Vsync is just going to cap the framerate at 144fps to limit tearing from going over. You're probably thinking of Gsync/Freesync. 

If you want 144fps ultra 1080p gaming, today, then you need a 1070Ti and an 8700k. In the future, you'll need more since the 1070Ti is already at the edge of that window in many recent titles. 

So what exactly should I create? I'm legitimately lost at this rate, money isn't too much of a problem as I'm patient but I need to have a build plan so I can buy as much as possible by Nov.27. 

Archived