Help on creating a PC.

Dwevy

So I'm going to save up about £900-1000 ($1300) and I need to get an idea of what PC parts I'l need. I have an idea but I'm not a PC guru and if possible I want to maximise by bang for buck. 

I want to ace 1080p with high/ultra settings with the possibility of streaming.

If you could come up with all the parts all the way up from water cooling to the very case. I'll be using my current PSU, RAM and my hard drive so those factors aren't to be taken into account. If you take the time to help out I'll be sure to throw something your way on steam, a scrap or something. Thank you.

What is your current PSU and RAM?

If you have DDR4 and a good quality PSU, then you can omit those two from the list. I would also start with the stock cooler and see if it's quiet enough for your taste, and if its not then buying a $30-$60 cooler. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£178.50 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£72.57 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£106.62 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Kingston - HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£72.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  (£365.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£63.99 @ Box Limited) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£73.72 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £934.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-17 19:36 BST+0100

1 hour ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

What is your current PSU and RAM?

If you have DDR4 and a good quality PSU, then you can omit those two from the list. I would also start with the stock cooler and see if it's quiet enough for your taste, and if its not then buying a $30-$60 cooler. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£178.50 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£72.57 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£106.62 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Kingston - HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£72.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  (£365.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£63.99 @ Box Limited) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£73.72 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £934.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-17 19:36 BST+0100

This is my PSU https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-cx-series-cx750-80plus-bronze-fully-wired-single-rail-625a-plus12v-140mm-fan-atx-psu?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1JbPBRCrARIsAOKj2PlTOWt9U5vPyGVrfCCvgPOtihO2MmAMKmrNfUi7LF0N4qT1V-pTzowaAmNnEALw_wcB and my ram is corsair something, the top speed is 1866MHz

8 minutes ago, Dwevy said:

Okay, so the PSU is fine (if it's a grey label CX750 then it's an good PSU, if it's a green label then it's decent). Your RAM is DDR3, so you'll need new RAM. 

What's your current CPU/GPU?

Just now, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Okay, so the PSU is fine (if it's a grey label CX750 then it's an good PSU, if it's a green label then it's decent). Your RAM is DDR3, so you'll need new RAM. 

Yeah it's grey, and I plan on selling the old components so I'll get some money back etc. I came across this build which I think is more of my thing. However I'm a bit of a noob so give me your opinion on this. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/TNFfrH/great-amd-gaming-build 

3 minutes ago, Dwevy said:

Yeah it's grey, and I plan on selling the old components so I'll get some money back etc. I came across this build which I think is more of my thing. However I'm a bit of a noob so give me your opinion on this. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/TNFfrH/great-amd-gaming-build 

It's basically the same, the differences are:

• The RAM, which there isn't really any reason to pay more for other than aesthetic reasons.
  • The larger SSD -- get whatever capacity SSD you want.
  • The GPU -- A 1070 is more than overkill, so I wouldn't waste the money on a 1080. 
  • Case -- personal preference. 

13 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

It's basically the same, the differences are:

• The RAM, which there isn't really any reason to pay more for other than aesthetic reasons.
  • The larger SSD -- get whatever capacity SSD you want.
  • The GPU -- A 1070 is more than overkill, so I wouldn't waste the money on a 1080. 
  • Case -- personal preference. 

Alright, what about this here? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/88vKf8 Also what about cooling? And shouldn't I go a bit overkill on the GPU? Since this PC will need to last for at least 4-6 years without need of an upgrade.  

57 minutes ago, Dwevy said:

Alright, what about this here? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/88vKf8 Also what about cooling? And shouldn't I go a bit overkill on the GPU? Since this PC will need to last for at least 4-6 years without need of an upgrade.  

A 1600x is just an overclocked 1600, so you may as well just save the money and get the 1600.

The stock cooler that's included with the 1600 should be enough to get to around 4ghz~ (which is realistically the best overclock you can expect) and it shouldn't get too loud, so as I said earlier, I would stick with the stock cooler and see how it suits you and if you a chip that runs hot or you want something quieter, then buy a cooler. 

The 1070 is already more than a "bit" overkill. As of right now a 1060 can get about 60fps in most games at high-ultra while a 1070 gets more like 100fps~. Honestly, you'd be better off getting a 1070 now and then selling it and upgrading to something better in a few years. Futureproofing is generally just a bad idea. 

You can also buy a Windows 7 Pro license and use it on Windows 10. I've done it and it works fine. You can get cheap keys for Windows on kinguin.net

2 minutes ago, Haxor Gaming said:

[snip] ... You can get cheap keys for Windows on kinguin.net

I'm not really sure if Kinguin is the best site to recommend people to. Yes, the keys are dirt cheap, but grey-market sites like kinguin and g2a infrequently get their keys from stolen cc's and other sketchy sources, and buying from them means you run the risk of having the key revoked. 

If that chance is worth the ~$50 you'd save from buying it legitimately, then go for it, but IMO it's not worth the risk.

44 minutes ago, Weedoot said:

I'm not really sure if Kinguin is the best site to recommend people to. Yes, the keys are dirt cheap, but grey-market sites like kinguin and g2a infrequently get their keys from stolen cc's and other sketchy sources, and buying from them means you run the risk of having the key revoked. 

If that chance is worth the ~$50 you'd save from buying it legitimately, then go for it, but IMO it's not worth the risk.

A lot of the keys are valid MSDN keys, they're just not valid for resale (and could be revoked).

It's not super likely that a key will get revoked and even if it does, you can buy three keys and still end up spending less money -- and the chances that all three keys get revoked is even less likely. So I wouldn't let the risk of the key being revoked sway me to not use Kinguin/G2a. Personally, I would say pirating is better than grey market sites as they can end up costing studios money and taking away a sale (whereas pirating just takes away a sale). 

14 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

A lot of the keys are valid MSDN keys, they're just not valid for resale (and could be revoked).

It's not super likely that a key will get revoked and even if it does, you can buy three keys and still end up spending less money -- and the chances that all three keys get revoked is even less likely. So I wouldn't let the risk of the key being revoked sway me to not use Kinguin/G2a. Personally, I would say pirating is better than grey market sites as they can end up costing studios money and taking away a sale (whereas pirating just takes away a sale). 

So any ideas on where I could get a key for Windows 10 Pro legit? And also I need another recommendation for a pc case, I already have a corsair water cooler so I'd want to compensate for it and also have the benefit of a quiet PC. I'm not one for fancy looks, just something practical would be more than sufficient.

1 minute ago, Dwevy said:

So any ideas on where I could get a key for Windows 10 Pro legit?

Amazon....Newegg....Best Buy.....literally any legitimate store. (I wouldn't pay more for Pro unless there is some specific feature you need though)

1 minute ago, Dwevy said:

And also I need another recommendation for a pc case, I already have a corsair water cooler so I'd want to compensate for it and also have the benefit of a quiet PC. I'm not one for fancy looks, just something practical would be more than sufficient.

Just look at cases and pick one you like.

AMD Ryzen CPUs work much better with high-clock memory, 3200MHz is considered to be the sweet spot for Ryzen builds.

Consider this motherboard

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4 ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 - costs around the same, but supports memory speeds up to 3200MHz, unlike the one Awesome suggested

And for the memory:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16 Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - this one is a bit more expensive due to its high speed, but still the cheapest I could find on PCPartpicker.

8 hours ago, AdamWTS said:

AMD Ryzen CPUs work much better with high-clock memory, 3200MHz is considered to be the sweet spot for Ryzen builds.

Consider this motherboard

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4 ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 - costs around the same, but supports memory speeds up to 3200MHz, unlike the one Awesome suggested

And for the memory:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16 Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - this one is a bit more expensive due to its high speed, but still the cheapest I could find on PCPartpicker.

All DDR4 higher than 2133mhz is just overclocked. So, there's really no advantage to paying more for faster memory since there's no real difference. Plus there's no guarantee that the faster memory will run at that speed anyway. You may as well buy the cheaper kit.

Oh, and the sweet spot is more like 2933 since most Ryzen systems can't run stable at 3200mhz. Plus the board I recommended supports 3200mhz DDR4. 

Archived