Wanting a desk like Epica Desk Set/Tre 3 Piece Desk, but cheaper

JayTuut

These are both from harvey norman here. Normal price is $799 (AUD) for the Epica desk 

activedeskset.jpg

and $499 for the Tre 3 piece 

1_37_654.jpg

I like the Epica a lot more (especially cause its not glass) but i dont really wanna spend $800, nor $500, mostly $400 or less if i can.

Anyone know any desks like these that are $400 (AUD) or cheaper? (all australian prices some people cant read that :C)

Epica/Tre are only sold by harvey norman, thats it, cant find them elsewhere for cheaper or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a difference between buying technologies like computer parts and then buying furniture. Although it would be nice, you don't need to read a review about a desk. Your best bet is always to go to a second hand store and have a look at what they have. Being able to tell the quality of furniture is basically an innate skill, but, if not, here are important things.

What you should look for in a desk:

1) It's made of solid wood. Pressed wood, veneers, composites, etc are all trash.

2) If it has drawers, make sure they are stable and can be pulled all the way and pushed all the way back in. If not, you're going to need to fix it, which is not the end of the world. Fixing drawers is pretty simple and cheap, just be aware.

3) Make sure the legs are sturdy.

4) Check how each piece of wood is attached. Glue, staple, etc are alll destined to fall apart, but can probably be replaced with screws to improve it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2017 at 6:45 AM, DrDavid52 said:

There's a difference between buying technologies like computer parts and then buying furniture. Although it would be nice, you don't need to read a review about a desk. Your best bet is always to go to a second hand store and have a look at what they have. Being able to tell the quality of furniture is basically an innate skill, but, if not, here are important things.

What you should look for in a desk:

1) It's made of solid wood. Pressed wood, veneers, composites, etc are all trash.

2) If it has drawers, make sure they are stable and can be pulled all the way and pushed all the way back in. If not, you're going to need to fix it, which is not the end of the world. Fixing drawers is pretty simple and cheap, just be aware.

3) Make sure the legs are sturdy.

4) Check how each piece of wood is attached. Glue, staple, etc are alll destined to fall apart, but can probably be replaced with screws to improve it.

Got all this well off my girlfriend who had a spare desk at her parents.... but it doesnt fit.. ;(

Archived