Hardware recommendations

Julia

I've had most of the same hardware for like 5-6 years and it seems like a good time to upgrade it. 

Current configuration:

Motherboard: ASRock 890GX Pro3
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB (4x 4GB DDR3)
Power Supply: XION XON-600F-14T-201 (600 watts)
Drive: M4-CT128M4SSD2 (128GB SSD)
Drive: SAMSUNG HD103SI (1TB Optical)
Drive: CDDVDW SH-222AB (DVDRW)
Resolution: 2560x1440 (main monitor), 1200x1920

What I'd like to upgrade most is the motherboard, CPU, power supply, and case.

My SSD is also about 4-5 years old which I bought after my optical drive failed (got a replacement under warranty so I use it as a storage drive). I'm afraid my SSD might die soon so I think it'd be nice to get another one before it does. I never had an issue with its size but I know there are some bigger ones available for pretty cheap. My computer has failed to read it at boot a few times though it works fine if I detach it and re-attach it. It's probably just a connection issue. I wouldn't mind keeping the same power supply if it's sufficient. The case can't be taller than 18".

As far as budget goes I feel anywhere in the range of $600-$1200 total (kinda big range I'm not too familiar with pricing) is fine for the motherboard, CPU, power supply, case, and extra SSD. I don't need the latest and greatest and I'm fine getting something a little less powerful if it's cheaper. To clarify, I'm looking for something powerful, but also a good value.

I would run a SMART test on the SSD to see how it's doing and if it's actually likely to fail. I have a 256gb Crucial M4 myself and it's still going strong. 600w is plenty for any upgrades you can make, however XION PSUs are generally garbage, so I would suggest replacing it. As for the case, there are a lot of good options and it comes down to what you personally prefer (if you want to go mATX (a bit smaller) then you also need to switch to an mATX motherboard -- there aren't any downsides to either ATX or mATX). I'd look into Phanteks, Fractal Design, NZXT, and Corsair and just pick whichever case you like best. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.43 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($121.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $551.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-29 22:03 EDT-0400

1 hour ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

- snip -

Those look like great choices. Is there a benefit/difference of 6 core cpu's over 8 core cpu's? My graphics card recommends a 500w or greater power supply so shouldn't I get something with more power than 450w? I'd probably look at a bunch of different cases before finding one I liked. Thanks for the tip on sizing.

I did a SMART test (short test) on my SSD and I think everything looks fine.

YJyPwPs.png

39 minutes ago, Julia said:

Those look like great choices. Is there a benefit/difference of 6 core cpu's over 8 core cpu's? My graphics card recommends a 500w or greater power supply so shouldn't I get something with more power than 450w? I'd probably look at a bunch of different cases before finding one I liked. Thanks for the tip on sizing.

I did a SMART test (short test) on my SSD and I think everything looks fine.

So, the 1700 is technically better than the 1600 being that it has two extra cores, however, unless you're doing something that benefits from the extra threads (gaming is not one of those things), then it doesn't pay.

GPU manufacturers well overestimate the power required as they have to factor in terrible PSUs and any CPU choice. But a 1600+970 will draw like 300w at max load. 

The SSD looks fine. 

I would suggest looking at an intel 6700 or 7700, cant vouch for the i9 or any of the later stuff. It does everything i want and doesnt break a sweat. Only a quad core though, but a pretty meaty one. As awesome said, unless youre doing heavy video rendering or large background processing tasks you most likely wouldnt see the benefit of extra cores. If your station is gaming, youll most likely be fine with 4.

Also i have an s340 case, its really good looking and quiet, can fit some serious cooling in there too. Its built strong out of actual steel panels and framing, i got the windowed version.

21 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

So, the 1700 is technically better than the 1600 being that it has two extra cores, however, unless you're doing something that benefits from the extra threads (gaming is not one of those things), then it doesn't pay.

GPU manufacturers well overestimate the power required as they have to factor in terrible PSUs and any CPU choice. But a 1600+970 will draw like 300w at max load. 

The SSD looks fine. 

I looked into those processors and there's a pretty big difference in price and the 1600 looks like a better choice for the money.

I did some research on the watt usage and the configuration does use a little over 300w at max like you said. The 450w would be fine unless I wanted to use another GPU later on, which I most likely won't. The manufacturer does add a disclaimer about it too. Other than spending a little more, is there anything wrong with getting a higher watt power supply than what you need?

Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it.

25 minutes ago, Julia said:

I did some research on the watt usage and the configuration does use a little over 300w at max like you said. The 450w would be fine unless I wanted to use another GPU later on, which I most likely won't. The manufacturer does add a disclaimer about it too. Other than spending a little more, is there anything wrong with getting a higher watt power supply than what you need?

Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it.

Like I said, manufacturers overestimate the required power because they have to assume you're buying a Diablotek PSU (which is only a step above a bomb) and they have to assume you're going to be running an FX9590 (which itself can pull like 300w+).

Technically the efficiency falls off (unless you're running at full load whenever it's on), but not enough that I would care about it. If you wanted something higher wattage, then I'd spend more and get something like a Seasonic G 550. The reason I recommended the CX450 is because it happens to be a very good PSU, and it also happens to be cheap. 

Archived