Differences between 3 phones (iPhone 5s vs Sony Xperia XA1 vs iPhone 6)

JayTuut

Now I'm asking this... just cause i have no idea what are good graphics cards/cpu's in phones are. Only part im really ":C" about

I basically am asking the differences in the graphics cards. I know the rest like the XA1 has dual sim and expandle storage and all the other android shit and a whopping 23 MP camera (almost 3x the iphone 5/6)

5s:

CPU Dual-core 1.3 GHz Cyclone (ARM v8-based)
GPU PowerVR G6430 (quad-core graphics)

XA1:

CPU Octa-core (4x2.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.6 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPU

Mali-T880MP2

iPhone 6:

CPU Dual-core 1.4 GHz Typhoon (ARM v8-based)
GPU PowerVR GX6450 (quad-core graphics)

Now from the benchmarks I see that the;

iphone 5s comes in at Basemark OS II: 1077 / Basemark X: 14341

The XA1 comes in at Basemark OS II: 1367 / Basemark X: 9714

and the 6 comes in at Basemark OS II: 1252 / Basemark X: 15841

Now I'm assuming the basemark X is the "dual-core score" which would mean that the XA1 is much better with a single core score but not dual, where they get pretty smashed by the iphones.

Both iphones have quad core graphics for their GPU while the XA1 does not

Which one is the best CPU/GPU wise? The XA1 is a lot better then the iphone 5s in everything except i'd say software and possibly GPU/CPU. But the 6 im not so sure

The iphone 5s normally goes for around ~200 (aka $160 USD) (refurb, with no accessories, maybe closer/over 300 brand new with accessories). The XA1 can go as low as ~265 (~210 USD) and the iPhone 6 is still surprisingly ~570 (450 USD).

So basically the 5s and XA1 are more "budget smartphones" in the sense compared to the 6. But which is the best value for money? And if I have an iPhone 5s that kinda has a battery problem, is it worth upgrading to the XA1?

So from what I understand you want a new phone and your budget is around $200 right? Definitely avoid the iPhone 5s, it's outdated and still overpriced. With that budget I'd get an LG G4/5 or a Galaxy S6. I haven't checked the XA1 yet as I have been away from the smartphone scene for too long so I can't give an opinion about it.

1 hour ago, Sal said:

So from what I understand you want a new phone and your budget is around $200 right? Definitely avoid the iPhone 5s, it's outdated and still overpriced. With that budget I'd get an LG G4/5 or a Galaxy S6. I haven't checked the XA1 yet as I have been away from the smartphone scene for too long so I can't give an opinion about it.

The 5s is good for the price its at, but the SE is a few tens of dollars more for a better processor and graphics.

4 hours ago, ticklemitt said:

The 5s is good for the price its at, but the SE is a few tens of dollars more for a better processor and graphics.

Yeah the SE is a good option if he really wants an iPhone. I'd still avoid the 5s though. 1 more year and Apple will no longer support it.

From my experience working with phones, it's pretty obvious of the upgrades between the 5S and the 6. The 6 outperforms the 5s in pretty much every other way (aside from build quality, #bendgate), but if you really do cherish that smaller form factor, the iPhone SE is a 6S internals crammed into the shell of a 5s.

Really, despite my preference for Androids, Apples phones have serious horsepower behind them, probably due to all the R&D funding that Apple pays for each revision. If you do want a cheap phone, right now (or even wait until September-October, as there's rumors Apple's iPhone presentation is around that time and phone prices might drop further), I'd say find a way to get yourself the SE. It's a 6S in a smaller form factor, meant to be the budget-end phone, and has the added feature of being smaller than the other two on the list. If you aren't able to pay a few more dollars for it, then the 6 is a good phone to get. It's not as outdated as the 5S, and you won't have to worry about it becoming obsolete as the new iOS revisions get released, as I'm sure Apple will support it much longer than it will the 5s line. (Mind you, they already dropped the 5 and 5c lines when iOS 10 came out. iOS 11's around the corner)

But honestly, that's still your choice to make. Personally, my daily driver is still a 5S because it does everything I need it to. I don't play games or do very intensive stuff on it, so it's a great cheap choice for me to use, while the parts out there are also very abundant and relatively cheap in case something happens to break. 

EDIT: If you'd also like more benchmarks to determine processing power, I've heard GeekBench is also a good resource.

3 hours ago, ⌠◊Pand♡ra◊⌡ said:

(Mind you, they already dropped the 5 and 5c lines when iOS 10 came out. iOS 11's around the corner)

The 5 and 5c are both still supported in iOS 10 and lost support in iOS 11. The 5s is supported in iOS 11 and will more than likely lose support in iOS 12.

2 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

The 5 and 5c are both still supported in iOS 10 and lost support in iOS 11. The 5s is supported in iOS 11 and will more than likely lose support in iOS 12.

http://bgr.com/2017/04/12/ios-10-update-iphone-5-support/

I was half-wrong about that statement. 5 and 5c were still supported in iOS 10. Just when iOS 10.3.2 came out, it dropped support for the 5 and 5c, meaning that you can't update to 10.3.2 on those systems. The 5s will be supported with iOS 11, but it might be dropped half-way in the next incremental updates for iOS 11 like the 5 and 5c were. Just wanted to help clear that up.

23 minutes ago, ⌠◊Pand♡ra◊⌡ said:

http://bgr.com/2017/04/12/ios-10-update-iphone-5-support/

I was half-wrong about that statement. 5 and 5c were still supported in iOS 10. Just when iOS 10.3.2 came out, it dropped support for the 5 and 5c, meaning that you can't update to 10.3.2 on those systems. The 5s will be supported with iOS 11, but it might be dropped half-way in the next incremental updates for iOS 11 like the 5 and 5c were. Just wanted to help clear that up.

The iPhone 5/5c still support 10.3.3 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207923. That article was mistaken (and its source corrected the mistake a few hours after it was posted: http://gizmodo.com/sorry-but-your-iphone-5-is-about-to-become-obsolete-1794251548).

AFAIK Apple has never cut incremental support. But also, it's worth pointing out that the 5/5c use 32-bit processors and so them losing support (which they haven't) would still be a bit different than a normal case.

20 hours ago, Sal said:

My budget can go up to 400

~sidenote this is all AUD, hence why i including USD for u US readers~

I have an iphone 5s already, I actually have 5..... 

Anyway. If you read the last sentence, i'm wondering whether to upgrade to a XA1, or I could get my family's pre-owned 6 for my bday possibly. 

Guess ill try for the 6 then? Really want a 6S plus dohe.

4 hours ago, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom said:

My budget can go up to 400

~sidenote this is all AUD, hence why i including USD for u US readers~

I have an iphone 5s already, I actually have 5..... 

Anyway. If you read the last sentence, i'm wondering whether to upgrade to a XA1, or I could get my family's pre-owned 6 for my bday possibly. 

Guess ill try for the 6 then? Really want a 6S plus dohe.

You should wait until the iPhone 8 release in September and get yourself a 6S Plus when it drops in price. 

3 minutes ago, Sal said:

You should wait until the iPhone 8 release in September and get yourself a 6S Plus when it drops in price. 

Was thinking that

or just get the 8 lmao

Archived