*New* Making SFM Artwork!!!

Dragon Axon

WELCOME, READER, TO MY SFM ARTWORK COMMISSION POST!!!

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

SFM POSTERS WILL COST AROUND TEN REFINED.

NOTE: I do not do NSFW SFM art. If you want that then go to another site. <_<

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Requests/Commissions will require this information for me to make them:

( █ = TF2 ONLY)

Character:

Pose/Action:

Cosmetics:

Weapons (TF2 Weapons only):

Team:

Unusual Effects/Particles:

Map:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do sometimes retexture models so that they have a certain color scheme.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mate, do you realize how much does your poster are gonna cost with your prices, like SFM already takes 5 to 10 mins to open and then a very basic poster takes at least 20 mins to be made so your poster will cost at least 5 ref, which is an insane price for what your offering.

This is almost a scam

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2017 at 3:46 PM, Dat NuB [SFM] said:

Mate, do you realize how much does your poster are gonna cost with your prices, like SFM already takes 5 to 10 mins to open and then a very basic poster takes at least 20 mins to be made so your poster will cost at least 5 ref, which is an insane price for what your offering.

This is almost a scam

I would like to say that I mean actually WORKING on it, not the time of going into SFM and loading everything up. Also, I used to charge like 8-4 refined for posters and people say that I under-price them. Also, note that I will not waste time while making them, and I hoped people would understand that. Please, before you claim that this is almost scam take in the fact that some people pay around a key or two for posters USUALLY. Thank you, though, for allowing me to elaborate.

Charging per minute is iffy. It's sometimes difficult to keep track of time spent on posters, it encourages the creator to take their time when they don't really need to or even outright lie, taking breaks and then charging for it, and it can get pricey. One of the posters I made for a commission took 8 hours, counting time in photoshop and getting all the models working properly and paintable, not counting any downtime where I was just like sitting around doing nothing. If I charged one ref for every 5 minutes, that poster would've cost 96 ref; nearly 4 keys, which is more expensive than I could reasonably ask for my work. And that's what it comes down to; you need to ask yourself what your work and your time is worth. Personally I went with nothing.

Although I will say, you mentioned people usually paying a key or two for posters. Can you direct me towards those people, or those people towards me? I've made around a dozen posters in the past month and gotten 1 key and 1 ref, if anyone out there is looking for a poster and is putting keys out there, I'd love to get in contact with them.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:19 PM, RNG_Wizard said:

Charging per minute is iffy. It's sometimes difficult to keep track of time spent on posters, it encourages the creator to take their time when they don't really need to or even outright lie, taking breaks and then charging for it, and it can get pricey. One of the posters I made for a commission took 8 hours, counting time in photoshop and getting all the models working properly and paintable, not counting any downtime where I was just like sitting around doing nothing. If I charged one ref for every 5 minutes, that poster would've cost 96 ref; nearly 4 keys, which is more expensive than I could reasonably ask for my work. And that's what it comes down to; you need to ask yourself what your work and your time is worth. Personally I went with nothing.

Although I will say, you mentioned people usually paying a key or two for posters. Can you direct me towards those people, or those people towards me? I've made around a dozen posters in the past month and gotten 1 key and 1 ref, if anyone out there is looking for a poster and is putting keys out there, I'd love to get in contact with them.

Thank you for your input. I am still trying to figure out a good price, so that's why I made a straw poll. Also, I'll send you the person inside of your comment feed if that is fine. Anyhoo, it's up to everyone of how much refined it will cost.

I will officially change my prices to 5 ref per unless enough people say that I should increase my price, in which I will announce another strawpoll. Thank you everyone who have submitted their opinion on the price!!!

On 9/28/2017 at 7:19 PM, RNG_Wizard said:

If I charged one ref for every 5 minutes, that poster would've cost 96 ref; nearly 4 keys, which is more expensive than I could reasonably ask for my work. And that's what it comes down to; you need to ask yourself what your work and your time is worth. 

I think everyone that makes SFMs and actually does a decent job needs to evaluate how much their time is worth. I believe it is absurd that you think your time, effort, and skill is not even worth $1 an hour.

22 hours ago, DrDavid52 said:

I think everyone that makes SFMs and actually does a decent job needs to evaluate how much their time is worth. I believe it is absurd that you think your time, effort, and skill is not even worth $1 an hour.

I would absolutely love to agree with that, but when I started charging two keys for a poster, I went for weeks without a request. I mean, I got more people going to my art on steam and talking about how my posters weren't worth a single cent, more people doing that than I did people asking for posters to be made. Even now with my posters being payment optional, I still haven't gotten a request for weeks. Having enforced payment would be even worse. Having people like you tell me that my SFM stuff is worth it is nice, it really is heartwarming, but then I go for weeks on end without requests, and whenever I do get requests, which are few and far between, they're either for free, or I assume the person I'm making the poster for will follow through with paying, and then they don't when they get the poster. I've even had people go so far as to start a trade with me to make me think they were paying, and then cancel their email verification after they got the poster so they could keep their money. And that was with me lowering the price from 2 keys to closer to 1 just because the guy said he couldn't afford it.

Also, enforcing payment is iffy. With steam trade delays and all, I've lost more money through people lying about being willing to pay than I've actually earned through my posters. It's a mess, really. It's the internet, where most people don't have the money to pay, and the ones that do don't want to pay it.

• 1 month later...

Thank you both for your support. I do honestly feel like having my prices increased to where it's worth while is better. 5 ref is not much, and honestly I would rather start with 10 refined and go up from there. Even if people complain about prices, then I'll try to figure out why, but I do thank you two for showing a bit of concern about the low price, and honestly, I do thank you two. I do kind-of find it hard to get people to cooperate at times with artwork, especially with me not being known as much through the community. Thank you.

Archived