Hypothetical

ksolis01

I want opinions on a hypothetical situation set in tf2. If the dev introduced a new crate that was free to open as a drop which you had to grind ranks for and had a chance to new unusual effects, what would happen to the price of said unusual over time? The drop system would work in a way were the first crate requires one level but subsequent crates require an extra rank ontop of the previous amount to earn and the weekly limit is 5. The fifth crates requires 5 ranks.

I think that is too many chances for an unusual, also would there be multiple hats/effects like we currently have or only one specific hat/effect. Also if it's free it should have an even lower chance of being unusual than a normal crate.

I think it would be nice if you got like a free key or "free crate opening," as a reward for prestiging  in casual at rank 150. Or maybe the crate could be opened every like 5-10 levels.

I think hats obtained from this would probably have a similar life cycle to the 2016 Hween effects, just because there would be a stigma about "How easy they are to get"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThePickleCat said:

I think that is too many chances for an unusual, also would there be multiple hats/effects like we currently have or only one specific hat/effect. Also if it's free it should have an even lower chance of being unusual than a normal crate.

I think it would be nice if you got like a free key or "free crate opening," as a reward for prestiging  in casual at rank 150. Or maybe the crate could be opened every like 5-10 levels.

I think hats obtained from this would probably have a similar life cycle to the 2016 Hween effects, just because there would be a stigma about "How easy they are to get"

Lets throw a number out, lets say four effects, and pretty much any

hat in the steam workshop that isn't crate specific. Halve the unusual effect by half. Also, lets say the mercenary grade tier items are unique weapons while the commando grade weapons are strange weapons. 

It would just drop in value fairly quickly like refined metal does. If it was actually valuable people would just make alts to farm it. Unless you define the drops as specific numbers (like those golden wrench events) then I can't see these having any kind of value over time.

I think they should just make an achievement for level 50, 100, and 150, and give some untradable cosmetic (a cosmetic that was made specifically for this, and would be otherwise unattainable) per achievement.

Then, possibly, add unusualifiers for the 3 hats to the drop pool, but make them rarer than how rare the collector's cosmetic chemistry set drops were. (or, add  a crate that has the 3 unusualifiers, and needs to be unlocked with a Normal key, still same rarity.)

The unusualifiers would give only 1 specific predetermined effect to each of the 3 hats. (New effects, that are different per hat, with each one getting one predetermined effect: meh effect[50], okay efect[100], and decent or good effect[150])

Edit: and once X amount of the unusualifiers/crates dropped, they'd stop dropping.