144hz vs 120hz?

eggbot

17 minutes ago, Beaser said:

Go with 144hz. Has a smoother feel than 120.

I would bet money you can't tell 144hz from 120hz. The difference between the two is pretty subtle. There are far more important factors to consider when comparing two different monitors.

@eggbot what two monitors specifically, what are your specs, and what games are you playing?

imo better is to get the better since you are probably going to use it for a looong time so it better be good

52 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

I would bet money you can't tell 144hz from 120hz. The difference between the two is pretty subtle. There are far more important factors to consider when comparing two different monitors.

@eggbot what two monitors specifically, what are your specs, and what games are you playing?

Mainly FPS like overwatch and tf2, with some games like Terraria sprinkled in there

Specs:

i5 6500

8gb ram

GTX 1060

1tb hard drive and 120gb SSD

B150 motherboard

Not sure which moitor yet 

6 minutes ago, eggbot said:

Mainly FPS like overwatch and tf2, with some games like Terraria sprinkled in there

Specs:

i5 6500

8gb ram

GTX 1060

1tb hard drive and 120gb SSD

B150 motherboard

Not sure which moitor yet 

Well, treat 120hz and 144hz as the same, because they're pretty close. Other factors will likely be far more important:

• IPS vs. TN
  • Panel quality/color accuracy (some IPS/TN panels look better than other IPS/TN panels)
  • Price
  • Variable refresh rate (freesync/no freesync)
    • You don't benefit from freesync since you have an Nvidia gpu, but if it came down to two monitors, one with and one without and all else being equal, I would take the freesync monitor just in case of a future AMD gpu/Nvidia support.
  • Warranty
  • Aesthetics

11 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Well, treat 120hz and 144hz as the same, because they're pretty close. Other factors will likely be far more important:

• IPS vs. TN
  • Panel quality/color accuracy (some IPS/TN panels look better than other IPS/TN panels)
  • Price
    • You don't benefit from freesync since you have an Nvidia gpu, but if it came down to two monitors, one with and one without and all else being equal, I would take the freesync monitor just in case of a future AMD gpu/Nvidia support.
  • Warranty
  • Aesthetics

As you've said, freesync gives no benefits with an Nvidia gpu ; however, there are G-Sync monitors for team green. Hooray for 1060 crew. Love my strix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S T E W said:

As you've said, freesync gives no benefits with an Nvidia gpu ; however, there are G-Sync monitors for team green. Hooray for 1060 crew. Love my strix.

Gsync monitors that cost stupid amounts, especially when paired with a 1060 (and even stupider when the main games are overwatch and tf2, in which a 1060 will push well over 144hz thereby disabling gsync).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

• IPS vs. TN
  • Price
  • Warranty
  • Aesthetics

out of the blue question:

are you a computer technician irl? Ive always know you as the pc builder of this forum, but I always just thought youd just learned over the years. But do you actually work with stuff like this for your job?

5 hours ago, FLAIMBOT_ said:

out of the blue question:

are you a computer technician irl? Ive always know you as the pc builder of this forum, but I always just thought youd just learned over the years. But do you actually work with stuff like this for your job?

No, I've just learned about them over the years.

6 hours ago, Arokhantos™ said:

Gsync is defiantly worth it unless you gonna run uncapped fps and like tearing, gsync is just way smoother.

Gsync is disabled if your fps is above the capable range of the monitor -- which would be the case with a 1060 at 1080p in both overwatch and tf2. 

15 hours ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Gsync is disabled if your fps is above the capable range of the monitor -- which would be the case with a 1060 at 1080p in both overwatch and tf2. 

Exactly but i cannot stand tearing, when i get the chance i will get a 240 hz 1440p monitor next with gsync, right now i have 165 hz 1440p monitor, below 165 fps with gsync its way smoother. 240hz because it will always be in the gsync range that way, not to mention higher refresh rate and fps means less input lag if your very competitive thats a must.

• 2 weeks later...