Help me find the right dog breed

unstopaBULLY

So after about 10 years of begging for a dog, I finally go the go ahead. I really would like a dog, and have the time and love to care for one. However I don't know much about the different dog breeds and need some help trying to choose what's the best for me.

My conditions for the dog:

Minimal/No shedding

Can't be smaller than a Chihuaha, but can't be bigger than a German Shephard. (Want to have something I can interact with)

Can't be super expensive to care for, I'm willing to cover the needs and necessities as well as toys and treats, but I don't want to have to blow a ton of money every week for grooming etc.

Must be kid and family friendly

Interactive

TL;DR Interactive, family friendly dog with minimal or no shedding and not super expensive. Also plan to adopt so yeah, not buying from a breeder.

TBH when im looking for a pet I dont care about breed. I reccommend you get one from a shelter or that person down the road whose dog gave birth to 10 puppies

Go to the animal shelter and look there. Every dog there is cute and wants some good care. Most of them are mixed breeds tho, but imo that's good thing. Ask the shelter owner for some help and tell him what kind of dog you want. But if you will do this then remember about one thing - by looking at the dogs there you will be wanting to take many of them so choosing one may be very difficult.

2 hours ago, eggbot said:

TBH when im looking for a pet I dont care about breed. I reccommend you get one from a shelter or that person down the road whose dog gave birth to 10 puppies

I care about breed because my mom is allergic to dander, so minimal/no shedding will be the best for her. A lot of my family/friends are too, so I want a family friendly dog that won't cause guests to sneeze the whole time. And yes, as I said i will be adopting from

the shelter

1 hour ago, Tomicide said:

Get a rottweiler. Best dogs ever.

Unfortunately, I had them as an option but they shed a little too much for me. Good dogs otherwise it seems.

1 hour ago, IgnitedSolly said:

Get a labradore. 

The carpet in the living room went from black to blonde with lab hair when my friend brought his over.

1 hour ago, Piterek said:

Go to the animal shelter and look there. Every dog there is cute and wants some good care. Most of them are mixed breeds tho, but imo that's good thing. Ask the shelter owner for some help and tell him what kind of dog you want. But if you will do this then remember about one thing - by looking at the dogs there you will be wanting to take many of them so choosing one may be very difficult.

Yeah was planning on it, idk really about mixed breeds as long as it fits my requirements and has good temperment and is in good shape. But yeah, I defintely plan on going there telling the volunteers what I'm looking for and hopefully find  a good fit for me.

Usually mixed breeds are more resistant to general ails when sided with the yearly shots.

From experience i'd suggest going to said shelter and keep an eye out for rescued dogs, usually they aren't older than 1-2 years when they are healed and sent to the shelter, breed is really a thing to consider only if you plan to use the canine for some sort of labor, in the end, with good education most of the dogs end up being great around children and such.

My last 2 pups were stray, altough it's more work and effort put in to educate a dog that lived on the street to adapt to living on a home, it gives you more experience and joy in having done the job.

I don't think there's any particular breed that meets all those requirements, having everything there is a dog owners dream but there will be trade offs. Your best bet is looking for a mixed breed. I'm not too sure about shedding, but a cocker spaniel or a corgi might work for you as well. Also you could look at terriors like a wheaten or a fox 

3 hours ago, Kevin the Chicken God said:

I don't think there's any particular breed that meets all those requirements, having everything there is a dog owners dream but there will be trade offs. Your best bet is looking for a mixed breed. I'm not too sure about shedding, but a cocker spaniel or a corgi might work for you as well. Also you could look at terriors like a wheaten or a fox 

Agree

3 hours ago, Kevin the Chicken God said:

Yeah, like I said I don't care about breed for bragging rights or ancestry or labor or breeding or whatever, I just want to know in general what the dog will be like (Obviously every dog is different, I'm not that dumb)

I'll just visit a couple shelters when I get the chance, check for the dogs that I think will be a good fit, research them and make sure I can care for it, then take it home. Thanks for the reccomendations, a corgi would be cool if there are any in shelters. I don't particularly like terriers but I have considered them since they don't shed much.

3 hours ago, Carrots said:

Usually mixed breeds are more resistant to general ails when sided with the yearly shots.

From experience i'd suggest going to said shelter and keep an eye out for rescued dogs, usually they aren't older than 1-2 years when they are healed and sent to the shelter, breed is really a thing to consider only if you plan to use the canine for some sort of labor, in the end, with good education most of the dogs end up being great around children and such.

My last 2 pups were stray, altough it's more work and effort put in to educate a dog that lived on the street to adapt to living on a home, it gives you more experience and joy in having done the job.

Thanks for the info. I'll defintely look out for rescued dogs, was actually planning on doing that anyway. I don't think I have the time right now to raise newborn or really young pups, otherwise I'd love to.

The animals at shelters are oftentimes diseased mongrels and the shelter usually tries to pawn them off without informing owners of medical problems that they have;  for instance, a friend adopted a cat and was told immediately after the paperwork was finalized that the cat had a cataract in each eye. Shelters also misrepresent the age of the animal in some cases; I've seen animals at a shelter where my ex volunteered that were obviously at least 10 but were listed as 3 or 4 years old. I don't know how set in stone that decision is, but I would be very careful of/avoid adopting from a shelter. Additionally, rescued animals oftentimes have problems with/are hostile towards people given past abuse and that's not a good thing at all. If you want a friendly dog, make sure you stay away from rescues that have a history of abuse. I have a English bulldog I got from a breeder and he's the sweetest animal in the world and has gotten along with every other animal in the plethora that I have owned/do own. Breed-wise, I would recommend any bulldog. That's probably the dog closest to your requirements that, for me personally, isn't incessantly annoying. The only suggestion you haven't vetoed so far was a Yorkie and this comes down to personal taste, but I can't stand Yorkies. They're yippy, small, and have lots of health issues. Good luck on the upcoming addition to your family.

2 hours ago, HarryG said:

The animals at shelters are oftentimes diseased mongrels and the shelter usually tries to pawn them off without informing owners of medical problems that they have;  for instance, a friend adopted a cat and was told immediately after the paperwork was finalized that the cat had a cataract in each eye. Shelters also misrepresent the age of the animal in some cases; I've seen animals at a shelter where my ex volunteered that were obviously at least 10 but were listed as 3 or 4 years old. I don't know how set in stone that decision is, but I would be very careful of/avoid adopting from a shelter. Additionally, rescued animals oftentimes have problems with/are hostile towards people given past abuse and that's not a good thing at all. If you want a friendly dog, make sure you stay away from rescues that have a history of abuse. I have a English bulldog I got from a breeder and he's the sweetest animal in the world and has gotten along with every other animal in the plethora that I have owned/do own. Breed-wise, I would recommend any bulldog. That's probably the dog closest to your requirements that, for me personally, isn't incessantly annoying. The only suggestion you haven't vetoed so far was a Yorkie and this comes down to personal taste, but I can't stand Yorkies. They're yippy, small, and have lots of health issues. Good luck on the upcoming addition to your family.

Defintely don't want a yorkie, or poodle for that matter or anything like that. Some of my friends have adopted from local shelters and they've been fine, but I will take your advice into consideration. I don't like bulldogs much, but thanks for the reccomendation.

1 hour ago, HarryG said:

Cutty cut cut

That sounds more like a flea market directly out of a zoonosis control center than a shelter to me, amigo.

Well, different places have different laws and as far as greed can lead us I don;t cross out the possibility of some shelter being in that state, but it's always up to the good will of the person to judge the teeth of the horse.

The one I volunteered for last year was pretty organized, having the constant eyes of about 3 different vets, and worked under heavy pressure of the local government, displaying for adoption only the specimens guaranteed to be free of infeccious diseases; pretty much because it worked with a vet hospital-school where we have classes and practition from time to time.

And as far as abuses can go, a dog that would be turned violent because of such actions shouldn't be even near other dogs, however, most cases I've seen resulted in the pup just developing extreme cases of depression due to the break of trust of such owner.

Just as shelters can lie, breeders can sell pretty nasty stuff aswell, such as products of incest that can have developing problems in the future or perpetuating genetic problems trough unsupervised breeding.

In the end, there are good and bad shelters and good and bad breeders, just be wary in your choosing, pal.

I personally like Labradors and Golden Retrievers

vsTKZ6d.jpg

I mean, just look at how cure they are?

Also fulfills most of your requirements. 

2 hours ago, Erik said:

I personally like Labradors and Golden Retrievers

vsTKZ6d.jpg

I mean, just look at how cure they are?

Also fulfills most of your requirements. 

I would assume that shedding is the most important requirement since he physically cannot own a dog that sheds a lot, I've had a lab and my friend had a golden and both breeds shed a ton

Get a Belgian Malinois, very short coat.

Also Belgian, so that's a plus. (Don't feed it Waffles and Strawberries tho)

Check this out, pretty nice youtube channel about dogs and very nice information.

image.png

On 7/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, TheProcave said:

Get a Belgian Malinois, very short coat.

Also Belgian, so that's a plus. (Don't feed it Waffles and Strawberries tho)

Check this out, pretty nice youtube channel about dogs and very nice information.

image.png

Cool dog, fits the requirements too, hopefully there is one at the local shelters.

UPDATE: Going to the shelter today hopefully and going to ask the volunteers there about dogs that would be good for me (And that I would be a good fit for)

P.S. It's not that I myself am allergic to dogs (I'm not allergic to anything) but my mom and several other family members are (to dander from dog hair or soemthing like that).

I have a cavoodle. On the smaller side but doesn't shed, most of the time a smart dog and friendly. Would recommend. However can be on the more expensive side.

Hi. I didn't realize this thread was up but here I am.

Do you have any other details besides shedding and allergies?

Poodle mixes are probably your best bet. You can find possibilities at a shelter. But I would look more into a foundation that run by someone who loves and cares for those animals. Not a typical shelter or pound. 

Add me to talk. I'd love to give you more ideas.

I know how you feel. Over 10 years to get my beloved Apollo.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to an animal shelter, you'll know when you have met the right dog...

I got a cat back when I was 9 years old we had originally gone to get a ginger cat... there were many, came back with a brown tortoise shell cat instead, she was 1 and she was a great part of my life until she passed away :P

2 hours ago, unstopaBULLY said:

UPDATE: (For all of those who care)

Found a couple decent dogs at the shelter/foundation all get snatched up before I can get there. However at one rescue I think I found a dog I like, gonna try to interact with it and if things go well adopt on Friday: 

http://www.petrescuebyjudy.com/animals/detail?AnimalID=11199776

Ah awesome, I wish you much luck.

Archived