Need help knowing if graphics card is compatible

Big Fat Penguin

Hey guys, im really dumb regarding pc building and all, i currently have a pc with a Nvidia GT 710. Was wondering if a GTX 1050 would be compatible with my motherboard? ( All i know about the motherboard is that it accepts a GT 710 and Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 )

If not, what are other options? I also dont mind substitutes to the GTX 1050 that could be possibly cheaper/better :)

also my processor is Intel Xeon 5660 if that helps

Thanks all

If your system already supported a gt 710 then I don't see why a 1050 wouldn't work. But if you can leave your whole systems specs in here it would be a lot easier to tell. 

use pc partspicker select ur motherboard and the graphics card you want to replace It with and it should let you know. Also figure out if ur power supply will work with the graphics card by selecting it as well. 

Thanks guys, but the problem is I didn't buy this PC and my dad just bought this thing as a whole and now i want to upgrade it, so i don't really know the specs of this thing.

What's the name of your motherboard? It would help us a lot. If you don't know, use Speccy to check.

To be fair every modern (PCI-E) card will work with any modern PCI-E motherboard, but if it supports only up to PCI-E 2.0 you won't be able to achieve the card's full potential (where 1050 is a PCI-E 3.0 card).

thank you so much adam! never knew you could check your motherboard and what not

uploaded a photo, don't really know which info you want.

Need anything else? :)

Capture.PNG

Okay I see. You have PCI-E 2.0 slots, a lot of them actually.

A 1050 will surely work though, maybe not as well as on a 3.0, but it should still be able to play most games smoothly on medium settings.

If you'd be unsatisfied, you could always upgrade the rest anyway.

6 hours ago, AdamWTS said:

What's the name of your motherboard? It would help us a lot. If you don't know, use Speccy to check.

To be fair every modern (PCI-E) card will work with any modern PCI-E motherboard, but if it supports only up to PCI-E 2.0 you won't be able to achieve the card's full potential (where 1050 is a PCI-E 3.0 card).

3 hours ago, AdamWTS said:

Okay I see. You have PCI-E 2.0 slots, a lot of them actually.

A 1050 will surely work though, maybe not as well as on a 3.0, but it should still be able to play most games smoothly on medium settings.

If you'd be unsatisfied, you could always upgrade the rest anyway.

Pcie 2.0x16/3.0x8 barely impacts a 1080ti's performance. So a 1050 will work perfectly with the board. The question is how much the cpu will bottleneck the gpu and how shitty of PSU is in the system. The 1050 draws very little power, so the PSU will probably be fine. To what extent the cpu will bottlenecks depends on the specific games in question and the resolution.

Thanks a lot guys!

so my option is now 1050, unless you guys have any other recommendations ?