[Official Blog] Balance Changes

Brad Pitt

• 2 weeks later...

Some changes are nice while others are not. Yet another situation where no one can actually tell if Valve listened to anyone or not.

They changed the Sandman because long ranged ball hits felt random at times, it's a good change, don't get me wrong,

but at the same time they change the bullet spread of the Ambassador in the opposite direction. Weren't they trying to reward accuracy over luck?

Now players will know for sure that it was random when they get hit in the head across the map as there is no way to actually aim far anymore.

Why not let it's damage (both normal and crit) be affected by falloff? This way both skill and luck are penalized at long range.

About the BASE Jumper... well. The removed ability to open and close it whenever seems to be a good enough nerf. The reduced air control is not necessary.

Either one of the two balances the weapon in my opinion.

The Razorback seems fair, I guess. But 30 seconds is a lot. Valve has no idea how many things can happen in 30 seconds.

Better stats would be 15 or 10 seconds shield respawn and added resistance against Spy's revolvers while holding the no-overheal aspect.

I consider the nerf given to the Dead Ringer a bit harsh, but I don't really know because I am not that much of a Spy player. It sounds fair but I would add a 60% cloak regain on kill,

a risk-reward mechanic. Spy is supposed to be an unknown threat so why not fool the enemies that think they fool you, counting down the time for you to get back with no ammo-based cloak recharges by moving in right back after you're done with some unlucky player's back?

A similar questionable change is the Your Eternal Reward. The changes are good but there are several questions to be answered. What does "a full cloak meter consumed" mean?

1. Invis watch - Disguises are done while visible because if you cloak, the meter already starts draining and so it isn't a full one anymore. Simple here.

2. Cloak & Dagger - Disguises can be done either when visible or otherwise.

While standing still the meter recharges indefinitely. So will disguising blink you for a brief moment if you're invisible? Will it show smoke?

3 Dead Ringer - Does the disguise trigger the Ringer while depleting it? Does it make the loud DR-specific decloak sound?

We can only wait and see it for ourselves in-game.

Moving on.

Darwin's Danger Shield. As much as I agree with everyone complaining about Sniper vs. Sniper duels where the shield is a must if the other one has it too, I kind of dislike the current future stats.

Excluding enemy snipers from the 15% bullet resistance would make the stat pointless.  Heavies and scouts easily shut down a sniper at close range even if the resistance would be higher.

No resistance stat helps a caught Sniper get away from the insane amount of damage any class can put out so why not give him a speed boost every time an attack lowers his HP down to some value? If hit by a flare the Sniper can quickly run back, put out the fire and come back instead of waiting it out with his manly 50% resistance. And let's be honest, taking a Pyro head on with melee is not a bright idea, regardless of class.

With the other changes I am more than satisfied, even with the future Crit-A-Cola and PBPP.

The Mantreads are finally useful, the Atomizer and the Bonk! got fair balances and you are not completely raped running the GRU anymore.

Changes I have no opinion on:

Crusader's Crossbow. The crossbow was the superior medic primary even before the arrows gave Ubercharge back, so tweak it all you want, Valve.

Eviction Notice. It was never a good idea to intentionally fight with melee as Heavy. It will still be one of the least used weapons in the game.

Miniguns. Why is there a 1 second penalty of anything in the first place?

Panic Attack. Surely revamped. I still would stick to a regular, reliable shotgun. But maybe the wide spread will be interesting? Remains to be seen after it's changed.