The update to Invision Community 4.2 Beta

Jessecar

• Administrators

As you can see the forum software has been upgraded to the latest version of Invision Community, formerly called IP.Board. I know some of you don't like change, but this was a necessary update to preserve the security of backpack.tf and its users. IP.Board 3.4, which the forums used to be running, has not been updated since June 1st, 2016. There are active security exploits publicly available for that forum software, and there is no way we can run unpatched software. That's just inviting everyone to hack the forums and insert malware.

We also found adware inside the previous version of the forums. This caused some users to be redirected to websites full of advertisements instead of the forums. There is evidence that this has been present in the forums since early 2015: https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/30923-backpacktf-forums-google-link-led-me-to-a-virus/. Even though there is little to no chance of a user receiving a virus or malware from just visiting a website I still recommend you periodically run virus and malware scans on your computer.

We are currently running the default theme for Invision Community 4.2, but we will be tweaking and improving the design to come closer to the design of backpack.tf. However, the site will not look like the previous version of the forums.

This version of the forum software is also in beta. I opted to use the newer 4.2 beta version as opposed to the 4.1 stable version. This is because the change from 4.1 to 4.2 is pretty significant in design changes, and to drastically change designs twice in a short period of time doesn't really make sense. There may be bugs currently, but this will improve in the coming weeks as version 4.2 reaches stable status.

I'd like for you to provide some constructive feedback in this thread, but please don't just post "change it back", "i hate it", etc. Let me know what you want to see improved in the forum in design and functionality, and we will try to do everything we can.

Known Issues:

• During the conversion to UTF-8 all special characters were messed up. I fixed usernames manually with a script, but for other types of content you can edit it yourself to fix it.
  • Steam login may take a few tries before you're logged in.
  • When logging in you're redirected to https://forums.backpack.tf/?&_fromLogin=1 which doesn't exist. Just click the logo or the forums button for now. Fixed
  • When logging out you're sent into a redirect loop. Fixed

5 minutes ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Can we get a dark theme, pretty please. 

this

also can we please open replies to status updates without opening a new page

please enable raw (bbcode) editing of messages, like we had on the old forums.   If I'm just not seeing the option, please direct me.  Thanks!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Status updates, and a lot of things are still on and off since data is still being processed from the old version. It will probably be a few hours until it's stable.

You can now view status update replies on the homepage too.

While we're on the topic of the new, can you make it so the club owner can change club privacy settings? Or guide me into how to?

Also why can't you comment in clubs? They're pretty useless right now.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Angelcake said:

Would gifs work as a profile pic just like in the main scrap.tf website?

Would scrap.tf emotes work here?

Yep, animated gifs works as avatars.

Scrap.tf emotes don't work here, but I can start an emote suggestion thread like scrap has.

13 minutes ago, Tomicide said:

While we're on the topic of the new, can you make it so the club owner can change club privacy settings? Or guide me into how to?

Also why can't you comment in clubs? They're pretty useless right now.

Clubs are pretty much private forums. You can create forums/"topics" or blogs inside them:

cr2uosk2vc.png

Then it works like this: https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/60786-woah/

2 minutes ago, Jessecar said:

Yep, animated gifs works as avatars.

That's awesome!  Can we also get an option to hide all avatars?

How do you like the new changes?

Do you think they'll be good or bad for the longevity of the site?

Share your opinions.

• Administrators

Permissions on the donator group are currently screwed up. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with that.

Alright how do I post a status? I've been going over every option in the area for ages but I can't figure it out.

Plus the "X replies" to status doesn't seem to be clickable so I can't even see what those are.

16 minutes ago, Bobsplosion said:

Alright how do I post a status? I've been going over every option in the area for ages but I can't figure it out.

Plus the "X replies" to status doesn't seem to be clickable so I can't even see what those are.

how to statue.png

We had clubs for like an hour and I already miss them. That was like the best part for God's sake, they'd better be brought back. 

4 minutes ago, HarryG said:

We had clubs for like an hour and I already miss them. That was like the best part for God's sake, they'd better be brought back. 

+1

3 hours ago, Bobsplosion said:

You have to turn them on in your profile, or what Jacob suggested.