My idea for keys prices fixing

Happysedits

So, the issue is that everything is priced in ref, which is unstable and getting worth less and less over time, just like buds, which makes keys worth more and more ref while the $ of the keys being the same. But everytime refined drops in price, every item priced in refined drops in price, that made craft hats go from 1$ to around 0.1$. What if Valve made something as stable like keys, dunno, for example, something like key bits (taking this from Minecraft, basically 1 iron ingot (= key) is craftable with 9 iron nuggets (= could be 10 key nuggets) http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Iron_Ingot#Crafting

I mean, Valve could make key craftable with a ref, but such a sudden change in this would cause hell in the economy as everything would suddenly have ultra unstable prices. Nuggets (or if it's named anyhow else) wouldn't, it could be set as a second currency. 

Isnt this basically what buds maxs and bills used to accomplish? And look at their use now. Making craftable keys would be a disaster for the economy. Idle bots would reign supreme

The inflation is inevitable and can't be fixed. Refined metal is basically free and we should appreciate that it's somehow worth something in a first place.

• Like 1

Making keys craftable would be useless. It could crash the market or end up being forgotten by everyone.

Also stop playing minecraft so much.

rip then

I doubt the "nuggets" would solve the issue. They'd be priced just like any other item on bp.tf.

yeah, when i think about it, ur kinda right

BUT

they will never go under 0.1 of a key when you think about since you can craft a key with it, it couldnt go lower since then keys would loose value? i dunno, also, valve could make it able to open some mini crates. what if that happened

BUT

they will never go under 0.1 of a key when you think about since you can craft a key with it, it couldnt go lower since then keys would loose value? i dunno, also, valve could make it able to open some mini crates. what if that happened

That'll still send the economy into a freefall of worthlessness. The only thing that would accomplish is that those "nuggets" would have a set minimum value in comparison to keys, much like how we currently have strange parts worth a minimum of half the price of a strange transfer tool.

Only "fix" can be possible by Valve. Right now there is no real use for refs, its not worth using them for hat crafting.

First of all Valve should stop adding only cosmetics with grades but also add to game craftable hats so at least at few first days some metal could be use by people trying to craft low #.

But it would be not enough anyway.

Best way i can imagine could be adding new craft recipe that would give you something worth using metal.

Interesting idea would be some kind of missions. Similar to those added in Gun Mettle, Tough Break, Halloween and Invasion updates.

So you for example could use X metal and 1 class token to get 1 mission for that token's class.

And of course after completing mission you would get some kind of drop (new cosmetics? skins? taunts? or someting uniqe for this missions?)

It would make game more interesting. If you are bored you just craft mission for class you like and have fun.

Also it would prevent bots from farming items from this craft, because to get reward you have to complete mission and not just craft item.

Worst idea i never seen from a well known suggestions maker

well that's rude.

If any of you know the VirtualEconomist, he made a series on the problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkF-LQyhMelLPY38cSINEnGa9e6hygQv7

TL;DW

Solution 1: have useful items only be craftable from refined metal

Solution 2: valve adds a new set of untradable items that drop as rewards for playing casual or competitive. 

Solution 3: valve adds a tournament system in which players pay with refined metal, similar to Hearthstone's arena system

Worst idea i never seen from a well known suggestions maker

I dont study economy IRL, I'm studying IT, all my knowledge of the economy is from tf2 lel

I cant believe you used Minecraft for an example, but I like the way you think.

Disconnecting key values from other items in game and making it a loose, fluent currency would probably help stabilize it. Valuing keys on a cash-only basis would leave prices much more up to the supply and demand for them, rather than have another factor (Refined) playing a part in how much they sell for.

I cant believe you used Minecraft for an example, but I like the way you think.

Disconnecting key values from other items in game and making it a loose, fluent currency would probably help stabilize it. Valuing keys on a cash-only basis would leave prices much more up to the supply and demand for them, rather than have another factor (Refined) playing a part in how much they sell for.

Where would you find something thats divided into 10 things that make the same thing, i can't think of anything else

Where would you find something thats divided into 10 things that make the same thing, i can't think of anything else

$1 into 10 dimes

But anyway, I just got a kick out of the Minecraft reference. It's a interesting concept tho

Here's a better idea:

Valve removes all metal from the game, replaces it with a certain amount in skins/cosmetics, depending on how much metal a player had

No more weapon drops, everyone gets one undeletable version of each weapon, i.e. all weapons turn into stock weapons

Make craft hats marketable

Now the lower economy is tied to SCM, while > key economy remains tied to both keys/SCM

Voila, no more complaining about refined!

• Like 1

Voila, no more complaining about refined!

Sure there will be, except the complaint will become "where's all my metal?". Also, think of the unlucky sob who gets their glitched vintage metal transformed into something like a bombing run. Still, I can actually see Valve doing something like that as then it'd mean that every new item in the game henceforth would be because someone paid Valve money for it.

Anyhoo, my idea for a metal sink would be introducing Mann-Up Mode for Quickplay/Competitive.

Basically, introduce 2-4 new lines of skins that can't be obtained via keys/crates. Instead at the start of a match, a player can pay 1 refined. At the end of the match, all players who paid a refined gets a skin, and the more people who pitch in, the better chance each person has to get a better drop. I'd also include the (incredibly rare) chance to get them in unusual or having a 2nd wave of australiums being ultra rare drops to further incentivize people.

What if you gave everyone a set of uncraftable, untradable weapons (not including reskins and bump up bp size for f2p's so they can own all those weapons) and reduce drops per week and tie it in to killing people with a certain weapon on any server. This way you actually have to be doing something in the game and would function similarly to contracts, but not be restricted to Valve only servers.

Then add a crafting recipe to build a chemistry kit for a shit ton amount of metal, add chemistry kits for all weapons so we finally can get stuff like a strange short circuit. Maybe even make it so that you can combine a crap ton of chemistry kits to get some form of collector's chemistry kit. :^)

• Like 1

As many have already said, the issue with the current inflation is not that the key is based off of refined metal but instead that refined metal has no reliable sink within the status quo. It has absolutely no use outside of acting as a currency or buying keys. No one wants to craft with refined metal anymore because it's simply not worth it. All the current system incentivizes is idling for more and more weapons to be turned into scrap, refined metal, and eventually keys.

If they were to give refined metal some use outside of acting as a currency, the price of keys would fall a good bit most likely.

Like some people are saying, just add a use for refined that will stay, lessen the amount of refined. Maybe "lesser" tier of crates that can be unboxed with 6 ref or something like that with a chance of not an unusual but a "high" tier cosmetic, so something worth 8ref-1key.