Scrap.TF is acquiring backpack.tf

Jessecar

• Administrators

Yes it's true, Geel and I are acquiring backpack.tf.

If you'd like to know why and what we're planning to do you can read Geel's post about it here: https://scrap.tf/blog/posts/16

TeenyTinyCat has also made a nice post from the backpack staff about the move. You can read that here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/meetthestats#announcements/detail/1273803620853157226

We'll also be here answering any questions or concerns you have about the move.

I wonder if you would incorporate your Scrap.tf bots in some weird fashion? As in, if they were to sell an item on Scrap.tf a listing for it could appear on the classies of BP.TF 

Damn, first of all, thanks for the purchase of backpack.tf, brad did do a fantastic job doing this.

Never would I think backpack.tf would be sold, but today the time has come.

I wish the best of luck to backpack.tf and the new staff members.

Anyways, will scrap.tf be visible on the backpack.tf profile anytime soon?

I would love to see that!

It maybe is a stupid question, but will you still be accepting moderators/admins after the purchase?

Thanks,

TheProcave

• Administrators

I wonder if you would incorporate your Scrap.tf bots in some weird fashion? As in, if they were to sell an item on Scrap.tf a listing for it could appear on the classies of BP.TF 

We don't plan on doing this. We feel it would introduce too much spam into classifieds.

Damn, first of all, thanks for the purchase of backpack.tf, brad did do a fantastic job doing this.

Never would I think backpack.tf would be sold, but today the time has come.

I wish the best of luck to backpack.tf and the new staff members.

Anyways, will scrap.tf be visible on the backpack.tf profile anytime soon?

I would love to see that!

It maybe is a stupid question, but will you still be accepting moderators/admins after the purchase?

Thanks,

TheProcave

Scrap.tf profiles on backpack profiles is a possibility, but we don't know yet. We will still be accepting moderators in the same way the current staff does now.

>For example, here at ScrapTF we've been collecting a great amount of data from the Steam Community Market to assist in pricing some of our items. This data can go to good use on backpack.tf, where we can use it to help determine prices of items heuristically. backpack.tf also has a lot of data that can greatly assist ScrapTF and Marketplace.tf in determining accurate prices for items. 

What changes do you wanna do to price suggesting? Can you give more detail on this? Any changes planned for unusuals too? (Personally I would like for unusuals to be priced the same, the SCM thing is great tho)

Edit: HarryG was right! lmao http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/statuses/user/1022-geel/?status_id=430114 and ksolis too http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/statuses/user/23871-ksolis01/?status_id=430175

Edit2: Will you be more active on those forums too as on scrap.tf forums?

• Administrators

Our staff application process will remain the same, with woifi and I deciding on new hires. Geel and Jesse will have power of veto but I don't expect them to use it much, cause we don't hire anyone who isn't pretty great. :P

• Like 1

• Administrators

>For example, here at ScrapTF we've been collecting a great amount of data from the Steam Community Market to assist in pricing some of our items. This data can go to good use on backpack.tf, where we can use it to help determine prices of items heuristically. backpack.tf also has a lot of data that can greatly assist ScrapTF and Marketplace.tf in determining accurate prices for items. 

What changes do you wanna do to price suggesting? Can you give more detail on this? Any changes planned for unusuals too? (Personally I would like for unusuals to be priced the same)

Mainly making more data from scrap, marketplace, and the SCM readily available on backpack for price suggestions. We currently don't have any plans to automatically price items with that data

• Like 1

We don't plan on doing this. We feel it would introduce too much spam into classifieds.

In that case, would the current bots stay on the classies?

Mainly making more data from scrap, marketplace, and the SCM readily available on backpack for price suggestions. We currently don't have any plans to automatically price items with that data

Ah perfect! Will there be buttons like for example the current ''view marketplace.tf sales'', so we can see for how much scrap.tf bots sell it to update the price? Btw currently one STN guy raised a few stuff with sales from STN, will we see something similar with scrap.tf? https://backpack.tf/vote?q=vote/&creator=76561198064804350&state=0,1,2 (btw cheers for the mp.tf button, it helped me with tons of suggestions)

• Administrators

In that case, would the current bots stay on the classies?

We have no plans to ban bots from classifieds.

Ah perfect! Will there be buttons like for example the current ''view marketplace.tf sales'', so we can see for how much scrap.tf bots sell it to update the price? Btw currently one STN guy raised a few stuff with sales from STN, will we see something similar with scrap.tf? https://backpack.tf/vote?q=vote/&creator=76561198064804350&state=0,1,2 (btw cheers for the mp.tf button, it helped me with tons of suggestions)

That's possible. We haven't decided yet exactly how we're going to show it.

• Like 1

Will there be more developers working on the site or still just fiskie? (I hope he gets a helphand)

Edit: e8ea4dab6699498c9f53354e69c8446e.png

Yes it's true, Geel and I are acquiring backpack.tf.

If you'd like to know why and what we're planning to do you can read Geel's post about it here: https://scrap.tf/blog/posts/16

TeenyTinyCat has also made a nice post from the backpack staff about the move. You can read that here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/meetthestats#announcements/detail/1273803620853157226

We'll also be here answering any questions or concerns you have about the move.

Congratulations on this transaction, first of all.

Second, will you guys be focusing on just the TF2 side of Backpack.tf or might you consider giving Dota2, CS:GO and other games like PBG some love through reworks on the site?

• Administrators

Congrats on the purchase, but please don't let what happened to PPM happen here.

• Administrators

Congratulations on this transaction, first of all.

Second, will you guys be focusing on just the TF2 side of Backpack.tf or might you consider giving Dota2, CS:GO and other games like PBG some love through reworks on the site?

It's possible, but we plan to focus on TF2 for now.

• Like 2

Geel has one of the largest Backpacks in the game

Geel buys a website that puts a value on that backpack and that other traders use almost as a bible

Nobody going to bring up the conflict of interest? No?

I'm glad I bailed out of trading when I can this can only go downhill.

Geel buys a website that puts a value on that backpack and that other traders use almost as a bible

My backpack is not very expensive at all.

Any belief in a conflict of interest can only be caused by a lack of understanding of how pricing on backpack.tf works. It could not be more transparent.

This is exclusively a good thing for the community. The site having someone behind it who can actually dedicate time, energy and resources to it could only be a good thing.

Moreover:

https://gyazo.com/5e36d4436aeb03dc0937f85dd79ed7d3

Geel's backpack currently weighs in at less than $1,000. For reference the actual top backpack in the game is nearing $82,000.

Not one of the largest Backpacks in the game by any definition.

• Like 2

Exactly for people like you I made this video