GG Polar

Toughsox

Wishing you the best Brother in all your future endeavors. 

It truly has been a pleasure and a blessing having you around to confer with, and to joke around with as well. 

Bp.tf and the rest of the TF2 Community will sorely miss you....whether they want to admit it or not. 

Thanks for being a friend and teacher to me when I 1st started out. 

Be well my friend.

toast-hands-beer-mugs.jpg

Teeny was gonna make a post this weekend, but... she can merge it here :P. I WILL find the time to give some personal thanks then. For now, I just want to give three big thanks. 

First of all, I want to thank Brad, Michael, and Woifi for giving me the opportunity to be a leader in the community. Without even one of those three people, I would not be here and I would have left the forums before ever becoming a mod.

Second of all, I want to thank the community as a whole. I've told multiple people this, but it has given me immense joy watching people grow up in the forums. Wave after wave of people have come in as middle or high schoolers and have gone off to college. Every year, there's the same refrain of, "the TF2 economy is dying," and every year new people find the game and pour a huge amount of money into something they fall in love with. The whole while my only goals have been (1) to genuinely try my best to make this a better place and (2) to try to carry myself in a manner / set an example for the young men and women who grow up here. Nothing, absolutely nothing, gives me more happiness than seeing people with 15 warning points come back a year later as grown ups. Or seeing people suffering from depression and anxiety and a whole host of other social problems come back healed and revealing their true selves. A lot of us have grown together and while we do our best to get rid of all the assholes that pop up now and then, for the most part this is a community of young people still trying to find themselves. We help each other find ourselves and that's when it's time to move on. 

Third, I want to thank the moderating team. I solemnly swear that I have never witnessed any form of deliberate manipulation or corruption on the part of any mod while I have been here. All the rules and guidelines we have made we make not to give people a hard time. All the bans we hand out aren't for personal pleasure. We have always done things we believe to be in the best interests of the communities. Our rules and guidelines are far from perfect, but this group of smart, humble, caring, dedicated people have done their very best to make this community a better place. I couldn't ask for a better team. I leave not because I want to but because I have no time to give. 

Thanks for the post, TS. I WILL give you the thanks you deserve when I am able to put it into words.

• Like 44

Wouldn't even accept my parting gift :( what a guy, we had our differences but I'm glad I was able to be a part of the community when you were here. I'll miss you polar00e9ee0989a675d8fd06b3147a681d39.png

• Like 2

Though the time I spent working with Polar was ephemeral, it was also one of the most pleasant, warm experiences I have ever had the privilege of undergoing.

GG indeed, Polar. GG indeed.

• Like 3

Thank you, Polar. We had our differences, but I can't take away from how cool of a person you are. Hope to see ya around sometime or whatever. Peace out and good luck  :)

It's genuinely a difficult sentiment to put into words. I'm a lot more moved and actually upset by this than I thought perhaps I might be.

Backpack.tf has been an, outlet, for me, the last three or so years (that's how long it's been? fuck...) and Polar, you and the other mods genuinely helped me through some difficult times in my life. The 15 warning point guy who disappears for a year, the guy with anxiety coming back better, both of those deeply apply to me; and the community here, the legitimate camaraderie (I'm not gonna use some emotive shit like "family," but it's close to that) are directly responsible for me being a better person than I ever have been.

It may sound like I'm trying to tug on heartstrings, but Polar, you know I mean it. I could go on but I'm gonna start blathering and I might honestly well up.

It's been an honour and a pleasure, Polar. I'm sure the mod team have everything in hand, but if there's anything I can do, you always know I'm all ears.

Goodbye polar, you were good to me in the start :D

And then idk u were polar thing

Ill miss you and your weird seriousness that was kinda serious but not

(and banning google 

UjWMjo2.gif]\

)

Oh wow, I was gone for about 9 months, and this is what happens?! I know that this is inevitable, but I didn't expect it to be this soon. I wish I would've come back sooner so I could've at least had the time to prepare. But it's better late than never. 

You were a HUGE part of the community, polar. Though you may be at odds with some of us, I honestly can't imagine it without you. But I, as well as the other users, mods and admins, respect and understand your decision to leave. While our interactions have been limited to just suggester and mod, it's been a pleasure. 

*cue the cheesy, emotional music

I don't think I've ever really directly interacted with you (excluding suggestions), but you were a great leader. You took initiative, worked incredibly hard, did the work of 3 mods, and did it humbly. I wish you the best of luck, let me know if you ever need anything

• Like 3

Thanks for the post, TS. I WILL give you the thanks you deserve when I am able to put it into words.

Words never need be spoken among friends. I nod and a high five is all one ever needs.  ^5   B)

• Administrators

I'd planned for this post to be in an announcement or in it's own thread, but seeing as we have one already I will post it here. Some of the staff have put together their thoughts, feelings and comments for polar as he departs his duties on the site. 

Woifilicious:

“Thank you for all your services in the past few years polar! Without you, this site wouldn't be what it is today. You put so many hours in it, probably more than anyone else. And especially your consistency over the years was more than impressive. But not only do I want to thank you from a staffs perspective, you also have been a great friend for many years. We could talk about anything, non-trading related as well, and as you were helpful with the site you were always helpful with personal advice as well. You are one of the most friendliest Bears out there, it was very rare that you got mad at someone (and they really deserved it), there should be more people like you. I wish you the very best on your way.”

Delicious Cashew:

"I would like to thank you Polar for always being willing to help and for being a role model for the members of our community. I have always been impressed by your demeanor and attitude towards others. You were always willing to give your opinion about suggestions, site features, or even sports. You’re one of the few people who knows American sports, as evident by your 2nd place in March Madness this year. I would definitely not be the same person I am today if I had never gotten to know you or had the opportunity to work with the mod team.  I knew I could always go to you if I needed help with anything, and that I could trust you.  You have been a major influence for all of us over these last few years. I will miss your kindness, your eagerness to teach others, and your willingness to deal with the tough suggestions at the end of the backlog. Most importantly, I will miss your friendship. You are one of the few people in this community that I wish I knew in real life, as you are truly a cool person. Good luck with your adventures in life!"

Absenotvolts:

“From the moment I joined community till now, I have noticed nothing but Polar constantly being helpful and friendly to anyone and everyone. He and I did not talk a lot but he did help me as well when I needed it, he has been a remarkable person to work along side with, I have nothing but respect for him. I want to wish you the very best for your future endeavors. You will surely be missed by me, hope to see you around in steam once in a while”

Foamy

"When I started out suggesting, Polar has always been there to help me around. He has taught me many things, from rules to rationales, as well as the use of some useful tools to figure out complex sales.

Even after becoming a moderator, he has always been my main go-to guy when I wanted a second opinion on a suggestion, or simply did not now how to handle a specific situation. I am sure I won't be the only one that is going to miss his expertise here.

He was also one of the two people that ultimately inspired me to become a moderator; leading to comment sections such as these:

Whether he is far or whether he is near,

He will always be "The Butt kind of Bear".

Good luck on your future endeavors; I'm sure you will change wherever you're going for the better!"

Mindacos:

“Well i'm just going to say this, without polar the site is not going to be the same. He has brought alot to the table for the site, and despite some of his IRL struggles he still managed to be the most knowledgeable and proactive price mod out of them all.

Polar was also my initial inspiration for even attempting to apply for mod. His commitment to making backpack.tf both an accurate pricing guide for tf2 items and a better place for the community overall was really remarkable

And even though I didn't work with polar as much as any of you guys, it was still a really, really good experience to be able to work together with him.

It's gonna suck to not have him be around anymore, but everything that he has done for the site is always going to be remembered by everyone. With whatever polar has leading through the rest of his life, I wish him good luck on his future endeavours.”

Randy:  

"Polar you were the best mod/admin anyone would ever want to have on their team. Couldn't ask for a better leader, always patient. Willing to help me when it was needed but pushed me to learn and make decisions on my own. Taught me to use my own judgement on suggestions and  which helped me learn much more than I could have by always just asking.  The couple random chats were always the best part of the time we spent, not talking about backpack.tf stuff, but just talking about life in general, felt nice to talk about irl stuff for a change. With that Polar I hope you that you excell and mainly enjoy everything you do going forward!"

Jacobmeister:

“I'd just want to thank polar for helping me stay motivated while applying, helping me get to where I'm at now, really. He's done a lot for the site, I'm sure everyone agrees - he'll be missed.”

Puddingkip:

“From one of the few mad or brave enough to start out with unusual suggestions to one of the only three people I ever blind voted (others being Hugh and Woifi), to a moderator and eventually the project lead you did it all. And through it all you remained calm, patient and a perfect example even while dealing with infuriating idiots like myself. When you got promoted to admin I finally saw how much work and passion you put into keeping this place running smoothly, and now that you are leaving I know that your countless hours of perfect work will be missed a lot by those of us that remain, although I am confident that in these times of change others will take up the work that you stepped away from. I hope you find happiness and meaning in rest of your life, and that you will still occasionally visit this place to hang out with us. And when you are ever in the Netherlands we should definitely get a drink. Good bye and good luck Polar.”

Carnage:

“I want to say thanks for allowing me to be part of the team and all of the advice he's given. Helped give me confidence at times. And good luck and hopefully this isn't goodbye forever.”

Fish:

"Danke schoen! Thank you so much for everything. Be it accepting my suggestions, helping me improve, and even being the one to train me. It's been a real treat working with you and  I thank you for that. When I read your message on the "GG Polar" thread about you seeing joy in watching people change, I was really able to reflect upon that and apply that to myself. I won't forget you! If you ever need me, shoot me a message on Steam/Discord."

Marty birdman:

“Thank you for the time and effort you put into building this community up, because like many others I was swept up in it and now find myself somewhere that I am very happy. There were several times when I came to doubt myself over the course of the time I spent commenting on suggestions, and the positive feedback I kept getting from you helped me not to give up. You are someone that I chose to look up to early on when I joined bp.tf because of how much I learned from the unusual suggestion guide that you authored, and I will always appreciate that you paid attention to what I was doing and recognized me for it. The medical world will benefit from your professionalism and eye for detail even more than we have. Thank you again, and good luck on your journey.”

K1ng:

“I didn't know polar very well, but he seems like the kind of guy you would love to work with. I don't think I have ever seen him lose his temper, or not know something related to his mod job. 

I applied for mod because of the encouragement I received from him, so that's something I have to personally thank him for. Backpack.tf is what it is in great part because of his work, so it's a huge loss for everyone here, but real life always comes first.”

From me, well, where do I start? I wasn’t around when the site began and as it grew. When I joined, you were basically juggling the work of multiple people, keeping the suggestion backlog down as much as you could, acting as advisor and trainer to the price mods and a mentor to mods and users alike. Struggling to manage the increasing demand for backpack.tf to handle an enormous number of suggestions and daily reports, developing the rules and doing it mostly by yourself. You guided me through learning the functions of the site and the way to handle complex reports and appeals, and you were always available for questions. You gave me the freedom to have input and make changes that would benefit the site, and you always encouraged active participation from me and every other mod who was willing. As we’ve worked together, I’ve always found you a reliable person to go to for honest feedback; we haven’t always agreed on every point, but I have always respected and valued your view, and taken something out of each conversation we have had. I made a joke about it before, but I believe it to be true – we have made a team here that could manage fine without us, and that is a wonderful thing that you should be proud of. You have been the role model you wanted to be for many in this community, and I hope you are proud of that too. 

Your presence will be missed by staff and users alike. 

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication over the years. Glad that you were able to see newcomers and veterans alike grow and become a better part of the TF2 family. Best of luck with all your future endeavors!

• Like 2

Everyone knows I haven't been active in the community for the past 3ish years. My first son was born 3 years ago and things shifted around in my life. Just did not have time, and after a few months life decided I should get another son. Now I really had no more time. :D I had to put a lot on the staff's shoulder, and basically let them run it all on their own. I had my entire trust in Polar and the staff, they made all the decisions and maintained the site probably better than I ever did. I am very thankful that you stuck around for so long, you made a difference around here and I am sure many will miss you. :)

I wish you the best of luck! Keep in touch :)

• Like 27

Will miss you polar, have a good life.

And I wish you the best of luck in the following years.

You dedicated yourself to the forums, you are such a friendly person, this may not mean much coming from me, but you certainly were one hell of a person and admin.

Will miss you sincerely.

• Like 3

Everyone knows I haven't been active in the community for the past 3ish years. My first son was born 3 years ago and things shifted around in my life. Just did not have time, and after a few months life decided I should get another son. Now I really had no more time. :D I had to put a lot on the staff's shoulder, and basically let them run it all on their own. I had my entire trust in Polar and the staff, they made all the decisions and maintained the site probably better than I ever did. I am very thankful that you stuck around for so long, you made a difference around here and I am sure many will miss you. :)

I wish you the best of luck! Keep in touch :)

Good luck in real life! 

• Like 1

"You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text" - yikes. Can't quote everyone. Have to do it in two posts.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

He's not here ;_;

Welp, Thank you Polar, you was probably the best mod for me.

I already PM'ed you earlier with pretty much all you need to know. You are one of the people I was talking about when I said I've really enjoyed watching people grow and mature. Don't ever stop being "Happy." 

Thanks Polar - see ya 'round ^^

Cheers!

Wouldn't even accept my parting gift what a guy, we had our differences but I'm glad I was able to be a part of the community when you were here. I'll miss you polar

Let it be known that Harry actually can not actually act like an asshole. "Team name was my idea, I apologize on behalf of any effect on the reputation of these three fine contributors it may have had. I'm the only problem here. Additionally, I have sent you something. Good luck to you. -HarryG" 

I've forgotten everything else in the past. THIS is how I will remember you. Best of luck to you as well. 

Though the time I spent working with Polar was ephemeral, it was also one of the most pleasant, warm experiences I have ever had the privilege of undergoing.

GG indeed, Polar. GG indeed.

Maybe, truly the nicest person I have ever met on Steam. All of steam. Gaming communities, forums, whatever. From someone who has been on Steam for 9 years, that means something. Fish, I told you how I felt about you in the context of this website / suggestions etc in your application. I absolutely feel the same way now. Get a little more confidence in yourself, and I honestly feel you will be one of the best mods we've ever had. 

Thank you, Polar. We had our differences, but I can't take away from how cool of a person you are. Hope to see ya around sometime or whatever. Peace out and good luck  

I'm not sure if people realize, but I (and I know several of the other mods) actually do keep track of what EVERYONE says about us and the site. "We had our differences" would be an understatement at times, haha. But let's just say that unlike some people who complained irrationally about things without giving any ways to improve / change things, I always respected your position and could count on you to play devil's advocate instead of a "yes man." Yes-men may certainly make mods / admins feel good, but they don't make the place a better one.

The 15 warning point guy who disappears for a year, the guy with anxiety coming back better, both of those deeply apply to me; and the community here, the legitimate camaraderie (I'm not gonna use some emotive shit like "family," but it's close to that) are directly responsible for me being a better person than I ever have been.

Ah, gent. We've really been through a lot together, haven't we. You were quite the firecracker. Let's just say how happy it makes me to hear this. I could see this when you came back, but it feels even better to get confirmation of this directly from you. I wish you nothing but the best. 

Goodbye polar, you were good to me in the start 

And then idk u were polar thing

Cheers, Boom. I've known you for a long time. Best of luck to you.

Oh wow, I was gone for about 9 months, and this is what happens?! I know that this is inevitable, but I didn't expect it to be this soon. I wish I would've come back sooner so I could've at least had the time to prepare. But it's better late than never. 

Glad to see you back! A lot of times mods discuss whether we'll ever see one of our regular suggesters back after they disappear. It's always a joy to see when they come back. Wreak havoc upon the new mods with your suggestions!

I don't think I've ever really directly interacted with you (excluding suggestions), but you were a great leader. You took initiative, worked incredibly hard, did the work of 3 mods, and did it humbly. I wish you the best of luck, let me know if you ever need anything

Thanks man. I really appreciate it. As I've said elsewhere, for better or for worse, I remember just about everything I see people write in the forums or talk about the mod team and the site in general. It's been really, really cool having people who constantly bashed the site for rules / guidelines I put in place come back and thank me for the work I put in. I really never expected that. 

But you, Maximus? Trust me when I say that I really appreciate how much you have gone out of your way to try to help people on the site and forums. I think one of the things we never did enough as mods was thank people in the community. I did so every now and then (not too much - had to make the thanks count for something). Let me take this opportunity to thank you one final time. :)

Words never need be spoken among friends. I nod and a high five is all one ever needs.  ^5   

Thanks, brother :) 

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication over the years. Glad that you were able to see newcomers and veterans alike grow and become a better part of the TF2 family. Best of luck with all your future endeavors!

Thanks man. Super neat to have people who don't normally hang out much here stop by. Best of luck to you as well. Hope you find another worthy hat for your collection. 

Everyone knows I haven't been active in the community for the past 3ish years. My first son was born 3 years ago and things shifted around in my life. Just did not have time, and after a few months life decided I should get another son. Now I really had no more time.  I had to put a lot on the staff's shoulder, and basically let them run it all on their own. I had my entire trust in Polar and the staff, they made all the decisions and maintained the site probably better than I ever did. I am very thankful that you stuck around for so long, you made a difference around here and I am sure many will miss you. 

I wish you the best of luck! Keep in touch 

Brad, you haven't been properly thanked for what you've created here probably because most of the people who knew you outside of a select few people in the admin community have long since left. But just consider for a second what a place it is you have made here when a person like me can enjoy coming in here to watch and help young men and women grow and mature. You've made this community where countless people strive to make this place a better one for old and newer people alike. I mean how ridiculous is it that people pay money for premium services to do suggestions that support the site. The fact that you have countless people like this shows you the kind of community you have built - a community that lasts and sometimes in a small way and sometimes in a very large way changes the lives of the people in it. That means something, and I hope you are proud of that. 

Most of the mods or community members don't realize this but most of the judgments / guidelines / rules I made in my time here have always been with a mind towards what I think Brad would feel about this or that. We might not have always done what you wanted :P, but you definitely left a lasting imprint in just about every aspect of this community whether you know it or not. 

I'll leave one last little anecdote here. Brad is an awesome web-developer. You all should check out - https://statsroyale.com/- if you have a chance. I remember vividly when you put together trust ratings for the first time. I can't remember having so many mods and community members so... baffled?.. at how you thought a trust rating system would actually work. Boy were we wrong. It has gone on to be by far the most common tool to track risky trades. I've had people from the CSGO community - big time CSGO traders who complete thousands of cash trades a week - come to me to talk about trust ratings on the site. I've always appreciated how you have always wanted to make this place a better one, even when you didn't have the time to do it. With that in mind, I think everyone will appreciate you passing on your legacy to Geel and Jesse but not before we appreciate what you have done to get us to this point. 

Congrats on having another little one come your way. I wish you and your family the very best, Brad. Thanks again for the opportunity to be a leader here. 

You dedicated yourself to the forums, you are such a friendly person, this may not mean much coming from me, but you certainly were one hell of a person and admin.

You are one of those people I was talking about when I said it has been a joy to watch people grow here. The change I saw from several years ago to the work you put in with your team for the pricing event... I was floored. It takes a lot to really surprise me as long as I've been around, but you certainly surprised me there. Was an absolute joy watching you work with your team. K1ng may have helped with all the pieces / technicalities, but it really felt like you were the glue. Hope to see you at the next event, and I hope to be there to help out when it happens. Best of luck to you. 

Good luck in your future and take care dude!  

Mate, I'm not sure if you'll ever read this, but it was an absolute pleasure to meet you. Super cool, grounded individual. Thanks for helping me cash out half my backpack, haha. I wish you the very best!

@Teeny: Only gonna thank all the community members for now. I'll still be somewhat around and may do a backlog suggestion or two :P. When I head out for real from Steam in general when I start residency, then I'll definitely say my real goodbyes to ya'll. 

Really sad to see you leave Polar. You're one of the most experienced and kindest staff members I've met and also one of the few I've looked up to when I started suggesting. I really wish you best of luck in the future!

• Like 1

How did you even last this long polar, haha. Have no idea what happened, just decided to randomly stop by. You definitely cared the most about the site more than anyone else, and it's quite obvious that you made quite the deep impact. Good luck with your future endeavors, I've come to terms with mine at least heh.

If one thing's for certain: whatever you put your mind into, you'll most definitely make a huge impact.

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Polar, for all the contribution to this economy that you have given. Really can't put my current emotions into words, but I'll see how well I can do.

I can't believe it's been this long already since I've started suggesting, and since the start, your suggestions are really the best that I've ever seen. I really have enjoyed working with you on unusual suggestions! 

Wish you good luck, and hope you'll come back like the old forumers to have a shout sometimes.  ;)  

• Like 1

I've been using this site for almost as long as you have, and I've barely even gotten to know you.

I do not think you can be thanked enough for the amount of work you put into managing the site, and I hope you find something else that you will love to put as much work into. 

And also, I never really thanked you enough for saying this, but your comment on this status was one of the best, and only compliments I got when I still did posters. Thanks.

DhUXYWc.png

• Like 2

See you around, endless thanks for all your help. You were always there when I needed help with a suggestion. 

• Like 2