Laptop Suggestions

funkle

What's up everyone

While I'm around for a bit, I figured I'd ask people who have a good amount of knowledge on this. I want to buy a new laptop before the semester starts in August, so I've been shopping around on Newegg and shit. I'll just list everything I'm looking for and see what people say.

- I want something not too small so that it's hard to see or awkward to use. As a comparison, I never buy regular sized handheld consoles because my hands are too big for them. So I need space to work with. But at the same time, I don't want a behemoth of a laptop that's a hassle to bring in a normal sized backpack. 

- It'll be used for school and gaming. Pretty even mix of both.

- I would like it to be able to run the newest games at a decent pace. For example, I have Mafia III and I can't really play it since I only run it at 30 FPS and it feels too slow. Fallout 4 needs to be at low settings right now to get it to work properly. I want a laptop that can work with both of these and easily do at least 60 FPS.

- The sound system is pretty important since I almost always have music playing. But most things these days come with something that's pretty good so I'm not too worried about it. Same with Bluetooth stuff, it should absolutely have that.

- I'm looking to spend above or below $1000 I think. Nothing above $1500 or so though. I wont be buying it until August so I have time to weigh options or wait for sales and whatnot too.

If you guys need any other information, just ask. I'll try to give my best answer.

Thanks again :)

I would highly consider buying a cheap laptop and build a desktop for gaming. Any gaming-capable laptop will be quite bulky and will have pretty poor battery life. 

I would highly consider buying a cheap laptop and build a desktop for gaming. Any gaming-capable laptop will be quite bulky and will have pretty poor battery life. 

The thing is that I travel 6 hours for school. When I travel back and forth for breaks and stuff bringing a bulky desktop with me sucks since I have to stuff everything in my coupe. I dont think I would mind dropping $1000 on a laptop now and having it last a few years then buying a good desktop later on when I actually settle down and live in one place for more than 4 months at a time, ya know. 

The thing is that I travel 6 hours for school. When I travel back and forth for breaks and stuff bringing a bulky desktop with me sucks since I have to stuff everything in my coupe. I dont think I would mind dropping $1000 on a laptop now and having it last a few years then buying a good desktop later on when I actually settle down and live in one place for more than 4 months at a time, ya know. 

You can build a relatively small desktop. Gaming laptops just don't offer a great laptop experience and if you're going to be using it for school then you'll probably want something that's portable and with good battery life. 

You can build a relatively small desktop. Gaming laptops just don't offer a great laptop experience and if you're going to be using it for school then you'll probably want something that's portable and with good battery life. 

I do most of my work from my apartment, and if Im out Im usually around an outlet anyway to charge if I have to. So it wouldnt be a huge problem. Being portable is something that would be convenient, but like I said, if it fits in a backpack just fine it wont be a big problem.

Believe me, I definitely want a laptop. Even a small desktop would be a hassle. Once I'm settled in somewhere I would consider a desktop, but right now I'm moving around too much to make a desktop worthwhile. 

Go for one of asus' many rog series laptops. Friend has one with a 960m in it , and it works pretty good for gaming. Might not do much better than what you have, but they are thin for sure

I was going to say the Razer Blade, but its way over budget.

Far too expensive and I can easily get something much cheaper that does the same job I'd think. Thanks for the suggestion tho

I was going to say the Razer Blade, but its way over budget.

The Blade is also junk, terrible quality control, thermal throttles like crazy, shitty keyboard/trackpad, and awful customer support.

I was looking over a few today and found this and I think it's pretty good for what it is. I also found this and think I still prefer the Acer over the HP. But let me get some second opinions on them. I'm also not sure of the difference between SSD and HDD. Because it looks like one has an SSD and the other has an HDD, just cant remember which is which. 

I'm also not sure of the difference between SSD and HDD. Because it looks like one has an SSD and the other has an HDD, just cant remember which is which. 

SSDs are the fast ones, but you can always replace the HDD with a SATA SSD (or potentially add an additional PCIE SSD if the laptop supports it).

I don't know much about the laptop market though, so I can't really comment much in regards to a specific laptop.