Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FishtheFish

Application: Fish-Related Crimes [TF2, Pricing]

FishtheFish    213
FishtheFish
  • Your age

17, but I was told I could apply now since many expect this application to be open for a few weeks and I turn 18 in less than a month.

• Your geographical location

California, USA

• How long have you been using backpack.tf

I am not absolutely certain how long I've been using backpack. I know I've been on here for at least 3 years; that's when my very first suggestion went up.

• Time you are able to devote to moderation on a daily/weekly basis

This is where my biggest downfall lies. My schedule is incredibly inconsistent right now, and is always subject to change. This time around, it's subject to change thanks to summer break and college (in August). No matter what happens though, I hope to guarantee at least an hour per day.

• Why you want to be a moderator?

I'll be honest, I've taken and learned a lot from backpack.tf. I have made countless friends (you know who you are, hi) and have learned valuable concepts. Among these concepts are economic concepts and social concepts. Nothing is more satisfying than finishing a collaboration suggestion that you and someone else spent eons on. I believe it's time to give back to backpack.tf, and I'd like to try my hand at price moderation. I'd love to further help pass what I've learned down.

• Are you currently an admin/mod elsewhere?

Yes! I am an admin for all of blackwonder.tf's 100+ servers! I am also a chat moderator for Inediblekirby.

Contact: https://blackwonder.tf/https://www.twitch.tv/inediblekirby http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198065470682/

• Past experiences as an admin/mod

About 4 years ago, I was an admin for a now dead Minecraft server called "Sourcraft."

Feel free to contact the old server owner (if he ever comes online): http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198054797305/

• Have you ever been trade banned or tagged as a scammer on steamrep?

Negative.

• Include any additional information that could help you

I've been a trader and price suggester for quite the while now, and stepping it up would mean a lot to me. I'm a Smissmas 2014 hat collector, and I enjoy collaborating with others. I also love feedback! Please don't be shy and leave your own down below!

• Include a link to your backpack.tf profile.

http://backpack.tf/u/76561198066311459

Happysedits    527
Happysedits

fish deserves it, one of the top quality price sugggestors imo, also from his 100% accuracy price suggestions in last 2 months, no problem from me +1

polar    3441
polar

Thanks for applying! It's amazing how much you have grown in the last 3 years. The change in quality in your suggestions, from spammy non-unusual suggestions to really meticulous, well put-together unusual suggestions should be obvious to everyone. But the biggest change has really been in your maturity / the way you carry yourself around the site and forums. When you got your second ban for being rude in suggestions 2 years ago, I don't think anyone could have imagined how far you'd get. You have definitely earned consideration to be on the mod team. 

The one concern here is the time commitment. Would you mind elaborating a bit more about what you mean with, "it's subject to change thanks to summer break and college (in August)." Mods take vacations all the time and get busy with school and other irl things. All of that comes first, but it's still important to see the big picture here. It's wasted time to train up front, give all the permissions, and to watch you for the first month if you end up only being able to give a month or two of time before school starts. 

Most mods handle 250-500 suggestions a month. You did 106 suggestions last month for reference. Having the time to spend is one thing, but it's also important to be efficient. We will for sure help you become more efficient and handling suggestions takes less time than making them, but please do give this some consideration.

Foamy the Fearsome    609
Foamy the Fearsome

As a Dutch person I like fish and fish-related stuff, or so I have been told.

Joking aside, I have no serious objections here. I think you will be very helpful in the mid-tier unusual section. I definitely agree with Polar; when I first joined the site, I would never have expected you to become as good as you have become at what you do (let alone to become mod material), mainly behavior-related. Though I recall liking you already earlier on, Ive seen some suggestion shenanigans going on in my earlier days that wouldn't have fit a moderator, but the past year, the past few months in particular - after you've last asked me whether or not I would support your application if you were to make one - I've seen some pleasant developments from your end. Where I had expressed some concerns, I have become confident that you will be suited for the job here.

FishtheFish    213
FishtheFish
-snip-

Hi Polar! Thank you for your feedback! Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for not being clearer in my original application. I was tacitly stating that my life in terms of how much free time I get is bumpy. Summer break may free up more time for me, so I can spend upwards of 4-5 hours (excluding a vacation I have planned), but college may send that down to around where I am currently(1-3 hours). I was trying to say that my availability will be inconsistent, but no matter what, I'll try my very best to put in at least one hour per day.

-snip-

My thanks, Alberny!

-snip-

Thank you, Foamy! I agree, it's nice to take a step back and look at my progress from time to time.

-snip-

Thank you, Zeus! It's a shame we never formally met, but if you'd ever like to do a suggestion collab or what have you for funsies, feel free to add me. :^)

Lastly, sorry to everyone if these responses seem impersonal. I want to keep it to one post so that I don't get too spammy and reply to each one individually.

Gent♥    1313
Gent♥

Ah god, another one of the wee babies who's gonna be mod before me, oy vey...

Just skimming through your open suggestions, you look more than competent as a suggester, no doubt. Probably among the most competent. Can't comment on your personal qualities as you're one of like three active users on here I've never butted heads with, but that's probably a good thing ;)

At the end of the day if Foamy and Polar like you I like you. Just take it easy on this poor old man...

Teeny Tiny Cat    1977
Teeny Tiny Cat

I'm not very active in unusual suggestions so can't really comment on your skills there, but never had any problems with you and you definitely have the right temperament to be a mod. Friendly, helpful, and respectful, knows when to ask for help. 

Kevin the Chicken God    1361
Kevin the Chicken God

who would've thought that the OG one link suggestor would become a fantastic candidate to be a mod. You've shown to be very adept at learning and adapting to new suggestions, and time available is a fairly unimportant concern in moderator applications. My only concern with you is that this gets accepted before you turn 18.

Erik    404
Erik

+1

Although I do have a few concerns. The main one is that you claim to only have 1-2 hour available on a daily basis to spend on being able to moderate, which seems a little low. As Polar stated, you have about 100 accepted. And you have a lot of 'Requested by Mindacos' (free sugg?), but I am sure that you have enough knowledge about the unusual market (since you still got a nice 1400+ accepted total) and the mods seem to like you, so it's probably fine.

Best of luck, you deserve to be mod!

So yeah, +1 for me.
Also, join the discord channel :)
https://discord.gg/hp7SPsD

Foamy the Fearsome    609
Foamy the Fearsome

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your support. Also, Erik, I don't see how suggs count for less just because Mindacos requested them. :^)

I would assume he is referring to the mindacos copypaste suggestions :P

FishtheFish    213
FishtheFish

I would assume he is referring to the mindacos copypaste suggestions :P

Ah, yes. In that case, fair point. Thank you for clarifying.

TheProcave    287
TheProcave

+1, I would love to see you as moderator.

Hope this gets accepted, join the discord, it's pretty lonely there.

You're a great suggestor, even tho I don't browse through that many suggestions anymore, I am pretty suprised when I open your suggestions I see every now and then.

Also, an hour a day? It is a pretty tiny amount of time, but when I see your suggestions I'm sure you can accept 10 to 15 suggestions in an hour minimum.

Eazy Peazy Squeezy Lemons    19
Eazy Peazy Squeezy Lemons

Apparently (According to Sin) People car about my Opinion so here goes:

Fish has been around for a long time and although slightly under age when he published this application I think he is a very mature suggester and commenter. He never loses his shit for any reason which shows Mod like qualities. He is always a friendly face around the backpack.tf site. There's no doubt he can suggest with high accuracy. He's certainly not afraid to dish out credit where it's due which boosts other suggesters when they collab and he's on of the only collabs I've done.

I'd love for Fish to become a Mod, I believe he has the right attitude and persona to become a half decent mod and I reckon he'll blend in with the other mods as Fish get's on with all of them (as far as I know) (Especially Mindacos)

However, Whenever you see his name there's a strange Fishy smell which he needs to sort out! (Just close your legs - manspreading)

ѕιи    137
ѕιи

I’ve looked through other moderators’ past accepted applications and some promising ones that have been rejected in the past. Came up with this list of the most important things.

I tried to make this as unbiased as possible. If something sounds biased then tell me. I’ll try to rephrase it/explain better. Thanks.

>Experience and knowledge about the market/trading activity

About 2 years ago when Kevin was applying for moderator, Polar made a comment about every moderator who has been accepted has been an extremely prolific trader. Still to this day, most of our current moderators are still prolific traders and contain a significant amount of trading experience and knowledge about the market. Fish is someone I can consider a prolific trader. Wealth may not be a direct quality a moderator must have in order to be considered knowledgeable, but it is however a good indicator. Fish has made remarkable trading progress from the month of November until now and I’ve asked Fish for a lot of trading advice in the present and even just now. I don’t doubt his experience in the market and it will help with determining if a range is right or wrong without looking at the proof in the suggestion.

>Dedication and time constraints

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this one since it’s kind of obvious. Fish has been a price suggester on this site for at least 2-3 years so that shows obvious dedication. As for your time constraints, I’m not really worried about them. You’ve guaranteed at least an hour a day and I’ve seen you get a good amount of suggestions done in that time. The mods will help you more with efficiency along the way. Moderation should be a flexible job anyways.

>Temperament

In all of my 8 months of being on this site, not once have I seen Fish lose his temper on a price suggestion (if he has while I was here tell me :)). From looking at the other moderators’ comments on your application, it seems that your behavior was the #1 thing that was most concerning when they considered your application. They’ve made it seem like you’ve had such a big improvement in your behavior (which I don’t doubt). I think know your behavior will not be an issue.

>Forum and site activity

At the time I’m writing this, you’ve got 10 open suggestions and 1,470 accepted price suggestions (547 unusual). I’m not at all concerned with your site activity or the time you can devote to moderation on the main site. Summer is coming up so an hour a day is going to be a super low ball in terms of your activity. What I am concerned about, however, is your forums activity. I made a general comment about your application telling people to comment on it and it seems like the reason not many have yet is because no one really knows you (which is weird for having a forums account for nearly 2 years). Forums activity isn’t THAT important and I don’t know how much of your time you plan to spend on the forums, but I’d like to see it go up.

>Suggestion and voting accuracy

Right now you have an overall suggestion accuracy of 95.08% and an overall vote accuracy of 96.50%. Anything under 95% I think is considered poor. I know for the past like 2 months (?) Mindacos has been giving out a lot of free suggestions to you, but I think you’re still a competent enough suggester to where this shouldn’t matter.
eabcf4131d1f453baa81a92402a4d051.png

We’ve been friends for almost the entirety of my time on this site and I’d be more than happy to see you as a moderator. Good luck on your application.

+1, in case you couldn’t tell

FishtheFish    213
FishtheFish
-snip-

Thanks for having faith in me! I'll try my very best should I get the position.

-snip-

Thanks for your input, lem! Quite heartwarming, it was.

-snip-

Thanks a ton sin for digging and addressing pretty much everything! Your post helped me reflect upon myself quite a bit.

Eazy Peazy Squeezy Lemons    19
Eazy Peazy Squeezy Lemons

Thanks for having faith in me! I'll try my very best should I get the position.

Thanks for your input, lem! Quite heartwarming, it was.

Thanks a ton sin for digging and addressing pretty much everything! Your post helped me reflect upon myself quite a bit.

Np bro! I like the nickname lem XD Reminds me of the Lemmings XD