Backpack.tf March Madness 2017

A Delicious Cashew

3rd annual Backpack.tf March Madness, let's have more than 14 people join this year

The college basketball tournament is here! Show off your college basketball knowledge by competing in the Backpack.tf March Madness Group

Whoever wants to join a backpack.tf bracket group, go to the link above and press join group and enter the password. Make your name somewhat related to your forum profile so I know who you are.

If you don't know what March Madness is, join anyways. Just fill out your bracket randomly. Brackets can be filled out starting Sunday March 12th at ~4 pm pacific

Last year's thread: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/49346-backpacktf-march-madness-2016/page-1

Starting this year, there will be prizes. First place will get 5 keys and second place will get 1 key, but only if there are more than 10 entries. Entry is free, I'll pay the winners myself.

If you guys can't enter, tell me asap so I can fix it.

• Like 5

I have an account, i did this last year :P

Solution:

Make a bracket first (don't have to fill it out yet) and then join from there

Also, to change your name from like espn1231231 you should go the top right, click on the picture, press manage my account information, and change your espn name

Initial thoughts on bracket?

I hate that some good mid majors are playing each other in the first round. Dayton v Wichita State and Saint Mary's v VCU are both hard to pick.

I don't really see any of the 1 seeds having a tough time reaching the Sweet 16, except for maybe Villanova against Wisconsin. Considering how unpredictable it has been this season, I'd be surprised if 3 #1 seeds are still remaining then though. I also think every #2 seed except Duke could struggle to make it to the Sweet 16, even though I trust Duke the least out of those teams. Duke's half of the bracket is so easy though compared to everyone else's. They could easily make it to the Elite 8 or even Final 4 if Villanova falters. 

It's also really easy to go upset heavy this year, so many good 12 and 13 seeds. Looks like busted brackets are going to be common this year.

Initial thoughts on bracket?

I hate that some good mid majors are playing each other in the first round. Dayton v Wichita State and Saint Mary's v VCU are both hard to pick.

I don't really see any of the 1 seeds having a tough time reaching the Sweet 16, except for maybe Villanova against Wisconsin. Considering how unpredictable it has been this season, I'd be surprised if 3 #1 seeds are still remaining then though. I also think every #2 seed except Duke could struggle to make it to the Sweet 16, even though I trust Duke the least out of those teams. Duke's half of the bracket is so easy though compared to everyone else's. They could easily make it to the Elite 8 or even Final 4 if Villanova falters. 

It's also really easy to go upset heavy this year, so many good 12 and 13 seeds. Looks like busted brackets are going to be common this year.

those four teams are always my go tos for upsets, really too bad that they're all playing each other. I dont really feel that the 12 and 13s are too strong this year, but I do think that so many top seeds are so inconsistent (UVA, UCLA, Duke) that there's a pretty high chance for upsets

those four teams are always my go tos for upsets, really too bad that they're all playing each other. I dont really feel that the 12 and 13s are too strong this year, but I do think that so many top seeds are so inconsistent (UVA, UCLA, Duke) that there's a pretty high chance for upsets

They're not final 4 strong, but they could definitely reach the sweet 16 or even the elite 8

• Administrators

someone make polar do this, it's not fun if i can't at least attempt to crush him.

Well, UVA isn't really rated that high. They're only a 5 seed.

UCLA only lost 4 games. On the road to Oregon (when Oregon still had Boucher), on the road to USC (a tournament team), and twice to Arizona which imo deserved a one-seed. I wouldn't really call UCLA "inconsistent." And Duke has been one of the most consistent teams since Coach K came back. They were, what, 3-4 without him. Just count games in which they were healthy and had Coach K and they were one of the most consistent teams in the country as shown in the ACC tournament where they beat 4 excellent teams in 4 days.

I don't really see any of the 1 seeds having a tough time reaching the Sweet 16, except for maybe Villanova against Wisconsin. 

I also think every #2 seed except Duke could struggle to make it to the Sweet 16, even though I trust Duke the least out of those teams. Duke's half of the bracket is so easy though compared to everyone else's. They could easily make it to the Elite 8 or even Final 4 if Villanova falters. 

Kansas probably won't have an easy time vs the winner of Miami and Michigan State.

Arizona is worthy of a one seed. I don't see them having any trouble in their region. Florida St is not really worthy of a 3-seed and Maryland is not really worthy of a 6-seed.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence in any of the 12 or 13 seeds but I like several of the 10 and 11 seeds.

someone make polar do this, it's not fun if i can't at least attempt to crush him.

GL

Kansas probably won't have an easy time vs the winner of Miami and Michigan State.

Arizona is worthy of a one seed. I don't see them having any trouble in their region. Florida St is not really worthy of a 3-seed and Maryland is not really worthy of a 6-seed.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence in any of the 12 or 13 seeds but I like several of the 10 and 11 seeds.

I do think Miami is underrated, and if Kansas is going to lose before the elite 8, it will be to them. 

I feel like VCU or Saint Mary's will give them trouble, but yeah, the other good seeds definitely suck. Even though I'm choosing Arizona to go far in most of my brackets, I do feel like they will not make it to the final 4. They should beat whoever they play in the sweet 16 though.

10 and 11 seeds are definitely nice. For 12 seeds, I think Middle Tennessee could go to the sweet 16, UNC Wilmington could beat Virginia, and Princeton and Nevada definitely have sweet 16 potential. Changed my mind on 13 seeds, don't really like any of them after doing more research, although Vermont could get lucky and reach the sweet 16.

RIP villanova, somehow still tied for first even though I had them winning it all

As long as I dont lose to polar

RIP villanova, somehow still tied for first even though I had them winning it all

As long as I dont lose to polar

Yeah how are we so high up, how is that percentage calculated

Yeah how are we so high up, how is that percentage calculated

It's based off what your results are so far. As of now, you got 27/32 in the first round and 5/8 in the second round. However, as your winner is out, the max you can get is 1050 points. It will all even out as the tournament goes on, since you won't be getting points from that region in the final 4 or championship game

Feels bad, I predicted Wisconsin in the first bracket I made, but I kept Villanova in this because I didn't think Duke, Gonzaga, or Arizona would be emerging from this side of the bracket. I do think Wisconsin will make the elite 8 and Duke has a really solid chance at reaching the final now

I do think Wisconsin will make the elite 8 and Duke has a really solid chance at reaching the final now

Even though I'm choosing Arizona to go far in most of my brackets, I do feel like they will not make it to the final 4. They should beat whoever they play in the sweet 16 though.

I think Middle Tennessee could go to the sweet 16, UNC Wilmington could beat Virginia, and Princeton and Nevada definitely have sweet 16 potential. 

lol

Looks like there's 4 people that have a shot at winning the group now

If Oregon reaches the championship game - Shuffle Spy

If UNC wins it all - me

If Kentucky reaches the championship game - Sniper Noob

If Gonzaga/SC/Florida wins it all - HarryG if UNC beats Kentucky, Sniper Noob if Kentucky beats UNC 

edit: Final 4 now set

Oregon reaching the championship game would put Shuffle Spy in 1st and HarryG in 2nd

UNC winning it all would put me in 1st and Polar in 2nd

Gonzaga/SC winning it all against UNC would put HarryG in 1st and me in 2nd

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The tournament is now over. Good job to everyone who entered! Here are the results. Prizes will be awarded accordingly

In first place, with a score of 1180: A Delicious Cashew how do i pay myself

In second place, with a score of 1120: Polar

I hope you guys had fun making brackets and watching all of the basketball games. I hope this tradition can continue next year, bigger and better than before. 

Who do you guys think will end up winning next year? No idea who the good freshman are, but I think its time for Kentucky or Louisville to return to the championship game.