27 members have voted

1. 1. Please don't vote if you have no idea on what this is or on PC's

• GTX 1060 6gb
    • RX 480 8gb
    • Either, both almost the same.

Not sure which one to get.

In (AUD), the 1060 6gb is $360, the 8gb RX is $340

Awesome's argument for the RX

1) As of right now the 480 tends to do better in DX12 (although there was just an announcement that the 1060 will see a performance improvement in DX12, but that's from Nvidia's own mouth, so only time will tell how that plays out).

2) If history is any indication, AMD tends to optimize longer and better than Nvidia whereas Nvidia just stops caring after the new generation launches. 

3) Nvidia cards tend to reach end of life with fairly comparable performance to their launch-day performance, whereas AMDs cards tend to improve over time. Nvidia generally launches with very strong launch-day drivers whereas it usually takes AMD a few months to optimize their drivers and utilize the hardware they have. 

At the end of the day, a 6gb 1060 and the (8gb) 480 are very comparable, but in the long-term, I'd bet on the 480 being the better choice.

Twins argument for the 1060

GTX 1060 or RX 480" is what I initially said but then compared the 1060 to previous cards. Also a buddy of mine who runs AMD said the drivers are pretty crappy lately Rest was in steam chat but yeah, he gave me the speeds and etc and said its faster. Talking with my brother he said they are probably the same, even tho the RX is a bit cheaper, though 1060 will run faster in games (ones sponsored by NVIDIA, e.g. gta 5)

Comparison

a0432f5a0504249bf4ae928d1c03c147.png

It's weird as it shows the 480 much cheaper then the 1060 when i check sites and they are basically only $20 on most. Interesting, If it was really that much cheaper ($60 usd which is like $80-90 AUD).

Has a bit more memory clock and a lot more core clock, better G3D mark obviously but the 480 is better value apparently.

If i can really find the 480 for $80-90 cheaper (which i dont assume is real lmao) i'll definetly get that, but at this point where they are only a $20 difference it remains a debate

1060 outpreforms a rx 480 any day.

They trade blows, but I'd still put my money on the 480 in the long run. 

The 480 also can be crossfired (although it's usually better to upgrade than add a second card), and the 480 also supports freesync, which is nice if you end up getting a new monitor. 

@Boom 

The $165 480 is probably picking up the 4gb variant. Synthetic benchmarks like G3D are also not that relevant. Look up recent game benchmarks. Oh, and comparing core clock speeds between different architectures is completely meaningless. 

They trade blows, but I'd still put my money on the 480 in the long run. 

The 480 also can be crossfired (although it's usually better to upgrade than add a second card), and the 480 also supports freesync, which is nice if you end up getting a new monitor. 

@Boom 

The $165 480 is probably picking up the 4gb variant. Synthetic benchmarks like G3D are also not that relevant. Look up recent game benchmarks. Oh, and comparing core clock speeds between different architectures is completely meaningless. 

It's not, it clearly shows "6144 mb" for gtx and "8192 mb" for rx

It's not, it clearly shows "6144 mb" for gtx and "8192 mb" for rx

It could still be picking up a 4gb variant, the price is, I assume, updated automatically (and daily) while the rest of it is filled in manually at the time of publication.  

• Like 1

Update: The game im (i guess primarily? not entirely tho) buying this for is wildlands.

watching this, ubisoft seems to love nvidida (and like GTA) it preforms better on NVIDIA then other companies. It looks a lot nicer.

So judging by the votes (starting out 7-0, now 8-3) and the benchmarks and etc and opinions, the 1060 seems to be the way to go.

Seems to be more smooth on 2k17 too, even an overkill lmao (for 2k)

Update: The game im (i guess primarily? not entirely tho) buying this for is wildlands.

watching this, ubisoft seems to love nvidida (and like GTA) it preforms better on NVIDIA then other companies. It looks a lot nicer.

So judging by the votes (starting out 7-0, now 8-3) and the benchmarks and etc and opinions, the 1060 seems to be the way to go.

Seems to be more smooth on 2k17 too, even an overkill lmao (for 2k)

For what it's worth, most people tend to favor Nvidia (also, technically 8v5v1 now, I didn't vote). Just look at the 960 vs. the 380. The 380 is a better card in basically every single way (faster and cheaper), yet the 960 still sold far more. So I wouldn't necessarily put too much faith in which one wins in a vote. That being said, this is different as the 1060 and 480 are basically on par with each other. The 480 tends to do better in DX12 (although Nvidia just said their DX12 performance should improve....but what Nvidia says and what actually happens are two very different things) while they perform about the same at DX11 -- the 480 pulling ahead in AMD titles and the 1060 in Nvidia titles. Either way, the two will likely sit neck and neck for the foreseeable future (although, I do personally expect the 480 to pull ahead in the long run as AMD continues to optimize drivers and gain performance while Nvidia's drivers are already pretty well optimized). 

I looked up a couple other reviews for Wildlands, and I'm seeing mixed results. I'd wait until the 7th for the full release benchmarks to make any decision (although I still expect the 1060 to be ever so slightly better since it will still be DX11 and since it is an Nvidia game).

From OC3d:

One thing to note in this beta is that we have found a lot of graphical issues in this beta, particularly when it comes to texture streaming on Nvidia hardware at lower graphical settings.  Here are some benchmarks that we have taken from a single player match while driving, though it is worth noting that in this scenario that Nvidia's GTX 1060 suffered from some noteworthy texture streaming issues, resulting in the game using some extremely low-quality environmental textures, which may have given the GPU a performance advantage. On AMD hardware visuals were much better, which could explain how AMD's performance takes a nosedive at low settings when compared to Nvidia.
Of course, that's not high settings, but it is indicative of the game's current state.

And yes, very overkill for 2k17. 

For what it's worth, most people tend to favor Nvidia (also, technically 8v5v1 now, I didn't vote). Just look at the 960 vs. the 380. The 380 is a better card in basically every single way (faster and cheaper), yet the 960 still sold far more. So I wouldn't necessarily put too much faith in which one wins in a vote. That being said, this is different as the 1060 and 480 are basically on par with each other. The 480 tends to do better in DX12 (although Nvidia just said their DX12 performance should improve....but what Nvidia says and what actually happens are two very different things) while they perform about the same at DX11 -- the 480 pulling ahead in AMD titles and the 1060 in Nvidia titles. Either way, the two will likely sit neck and neck for the foreseeable future (although, I do personally expect the 480 to pull ahead in the long run as AMD continues to optimize drivers and gain performance while Nvidia's drivers are already pretty well optimized). 

I looked up a couple other reviews for Wildlands, and I'm seeing mixed results. I'd wait until the 7th for the full release benchmarks to make any decision (although I still expect the 1060 to be ever so slightly better since it will still be DX11 and since it is an Nvidia game).

From OC3d:

Of course, that's not high settings, but it is indicative of the game's current state.

And yes, very overkill for 2k17. 

Eh i pre-ordered gold edition so no rush.. Lel

1060 outpreforms a rx 480 any day.

And yes,

Heres some more things i found when i googled this title post:

In my opinion, RX 480 + FreeSync monitor is easily the better option. I consider adaptive sync technology to be a must in 2017 gaming. 

They're pretty similar to each other in performance, whilst the GTX 1060 6GB takes the lead in some DX11 games but AMD takes a more comfortable lead in DX12/Vulkan based API games. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5mtkqe/please_stop_recommending_the_gtx_1060_instead_of/

IMO no, GTX 1060 is a good card and yes Rx 480 performs better in dx 12 but still there are very few games that supports dx 12..besides dx 12 there are and will be plenty of games to play with dx 11 and at that point gtx 1060 will win every time..so instead of getting Rx 480 save some money and after 6-8 months get GTX 1070 and that will be considered as a proper upgrade, cuz getting Rx 480 is not worth upgrading from GTX 1060 as there will be no noticeable difference.

and who knows Nvidia will release driver for dx 12 in future.

they are basically againsts each other i guess. But different threads. Interesting tho.

RX 480 generally costs less than GTX 1060 and they perform similarly. Driver support for AMD seems spotty going back and forth from stable to buggy every other update. If you buy through newegg you can get Doom for free with most RX 480 cards but not with 1060.

RX 480 generally costs less than GTX 1060 and they perform similarly. Driver support for AMD seems spotty going back and forth from stable to buggy every other update. If you buy through newegg you can get Doom for free with most RX 480 cards but not with 1060.

Spotty? I've owned a 390 since launch and haven't had any issues with their drivers, it's been flawless. I can't say the same about Nvidia for their recent drivers.

Heres some more things i found when i googled this title post:

In my opinion, RX 480 + FreeSync monitor is easily the better option. I consider adaptive sync technology to be a must in 2017 gaming. 

They're pretty similar to each other in performance, whilst the GTX 1060 6GB takes the lead in some DX11 games but AMD takes a more comfortable lead in DX12/Vulkan based API games. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5mtkqe/please_stop_recommending_the_gtx_1060_instead_of/

IMO no, GTX 1060 is a good card and yes Rx 480 performs better in dx 12 but still there are very few games that supports dx 12..besides dx 12 there are and will be plenty of games to play with dx 11 and at that point gtx 1060 will win every time..so instead of getting Rx 480 save some money and after 6-8 months get GTX 1070 and that will be considered as a proper upgrade, cuz getting Rx 480 is not worth upgrading from GTX 1060 as there will be no noticeable difference.

and who knows Nvidia will release driver for dx 12 in future.

they are basically againsts each other i guess. But different threads. Interesting tho.

And they're both kind of right. Any game that has a DX12 implementation also has a DX11 variant. And no games are really built from the ground up with DX12, they're basically all DX11 with DX12 bolted on. Also, depending on when that thread was made (or what benchmarks he looked at) would affect the performance he's talking about. The 480 has gotten driver updates that have improved upon its performance since it was originally released. At launch a 1060 was about 10% ahead of a 480, but now the two perform more or less the same in DX11. 

Nvidia hasn't exactly had a particular strong showing in the driver department as of late. 

And they're both kind of right. Any game that has a DX12 implementation also has a DX11 variant. And no games are really built from the ground up with DX12, they're basically all DX11 with DX12 bolted on. Also, depending on when that thread was made (or what benchmarks he looked at) would affect the performance he's talking about. The 480 has gotten driver updates that have improved upon its performance since it was originally released. At launch a 1060 was about 10% ahead of a 480, but now the two perform more or less the same in DX11. 

Nvidia hasn't exactly had a particular strong showing in the driver department as of late. 

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-windforce-6gb-video-card-ab86123?gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp0o_s0ZCMJG9U6u47QPLM6KZs6ogJJ8xpC6iGHS4ppeBoCb9_w_wcB

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36257?gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp01QpCn49yWCmilKSL-H9JkjXw48RYr2uVobG-2yUAxxoC-fPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What is the difference between these? The asus pc case gear and the normal geforce gigabyte 1060

The asus card has a blower cooler, which should be avoided. 

Whats wrong with this? (tbh i thought asus would be good lmao)

tbh there was one i found on a selling website and he almost took $280 (6gb), so like for $100 less or so (mabe $80 if im lucky) is the cooler that bad

Whats wrong with this? (tbh i thought asus would be good lmao)

tbh there was one i found on a selling website and he almost took $280 (6gb), so like for $100 less or so (mabe $80 if im lucky) is the cooler that bad

blower coolers are loud and not particularly good. It has nothing to do with it being an Asus card -- blower coolers in general are mediocre. 

blower coolers are loud and not particularly good. It has nothing to do with it being an Asus card -- blower coolers in general are mediocre. 

But is it worth saving that much or ?

(2nd hand)

grab the ASUS one.

It's my personal preference, but I've never had an asus product die or have any problem, and I've been running one of their motherboards in a server for 8+ years without a problem. Multiple GPUs too, never had a problem, and their coolers are superb.

grab the ASUS one.

It's my personal preference, but I've never had an asus product die or have any problem, and I've been running one of their motherboards in a server for 8+ years without a problem. Multiple GPUs too, never had a problem, and their coolers are superb.

I just told u about the ASUS, he only wanted pickup cause he hates australia post for some reason, hes 55 mins away so thats 2 hours

Coolers basically, but at the end of the day, 1060s are generally not limited by their coolers in regards to overclocking.  

I just told u about the ASUS, he only wanted pickup cause he hates australia post for some reason, hes 55 mins away so thats 2 hours

He meant the Asus card you just linked (for $400). I'd get the XFX card, they're basically all the same and XFX customer support is pretty good from what I've heard (while Asus' support is basically garbage).

Coolers basically, but at the end of the day, 1060s are generally not limited by their coolers in regards to overclocking.  

He meant the Asus card you just linked (for $400). I'd get the XFX card, they're basically all the same and XFX customer support is pretty good from what I've heard (while Asus' support is basically garbage).

http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/gigabyte-geforce-gtx1060-mini-itx-oc-6g-video-card/GV-N1060IXOC-6GD

Are mini's worse performance or?