An opinion that I think is interesting regarding USA politics.

Erik

I just found this very interesting opinion on Imgur. Picture + description. When reading it through it makes a lot of sense, yet there don't seem to be many people who share the opinion. The main point is questioning the 2 party system and that people always blame things on another.

Why are there only 2 parties anyways? I mean, sure there are more parties but they almost never appear in the Dutch media, I am pretty sure nobody would even know who Gary Johnson and Jill Stein are here and they are not getting a podium either (no TV debates, big articles, commercials). Compared to The Netherlands we have 28 political organizations you can vote on (81 registered if I am correct) of which atleast 8 are quite big parties. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/LzdTQqs

Description below  (copy paste, credits to the OP of imgur image above)

''I don't support Trump, or Hillary for that matter. I despise both the GOP and the DNC and feel both parties have moved to a self-serving model of politics where its about how much money can be made, rather than how they can improve their citizens lives.

And although I give Obama an OK presidential rating, he got a free pass on literally everything bad he did thanks to a great marketing machine and Biden memes. Its so frustrating how a person can get away with constant drone bombing (predominantly civilians) in the middle-east based solely on wild accusations and assumptions, to vastly increase the powers of the NSA to spy on every civilian/politician on the planet illegally, breaking international espionage laws and every constitutional right American citizens have to privacy. Over-time, people seem to have just shrugged these actions off because "Obama is such a lovely guy!"... Just because a person does some good does not mean you should ignore the bad.

And I'm sick to death of this 2 party mentality, where everything a person does is simply blamed on the other party/person before him. If you scrutinise Hillary, you automatically support Trump, and if Trump slips on a banana peal, its Hillary's fault. They were both terrible candidates for the presidency, and as a voter, you should NOT be content with voting for the lesser of 2 evils. Democracy should be about voting for the most POPULAR candidates. So when you are stuck with choosing between 2 of the worst examples from both sides, your democratic system is broken.

TL;DR: Pay attention to what your politicians are DOING, regardless of their party affiliation. Politics affects us all, whether you like it or not.''

----

How do you think about this opinion? Do people indeed let Obama get away with bad things because of a good charisma and marketing? Is the democratic system of the USA indeed broken? Looking forward to hear your opinions on this matter.

We have two parties because groups of very smart old people from back when our country was born felt like dividing the nation and creating a rift by making two main parties the democrats and the republicans each with different ideals, policies and it made voting a more of what can they do for you than, what can they do for your country thingy. I'm not the best at explaining it, but basically the democrats and the republics were the the first two major parties and have dominated the media and political scene ever since which is why smaller organizations and political groups don't get much attention, and when they do it's all negative. (I.E. Gary Johnson news.) Both parties are very strong and very influential and nowadays because of the legacy, history and social/racial ties people just vote for democrat or republican because those are the two parties with candidates that they know the most about. Kinda sucks, I feel like if we had more parties or had no parties at all we'd be better off, it seems like every year people get more and more divided because of politics and the media. I kinda envy the Dutch system. Because of this, I think the system is broken, although I'm sure many will not agree with my views. I hated the candidates this year, both were terrible IMO, if only the two major parties didn't have so much power and influence....

Also I agree with most, if not everything about what you said Erik. That's 100% my views right there.

Wait, a second why did I post in RPS?

Not exactly an unpopular opinion, pretty sure the majority hated both trump and hillary, it's just that they are reasonable people and don't go out of their way to shit on everyone else that doesn't agree with them, so they weren't as noticeable. It's the fact that they were told that "if you don't vote at all, everything that happens afterwards is your fault" mentality made a lot of people vote for one of them, or at least a 3rd party.

Besides that, a lot of people are glad Trump got elected not because of his policies or him as a person, but because it fully showed the double standards and dishonesty of the media by having no choice but to defend their shitty candidate compared to the other shitty one, which her actions in the past were showed that people defended her because she just was in the same party as them, and not because how great she is or anything like that.

I mean even Piers Morgan, the human manifestation of the kidney stone pain, made more sense in that one Bill Maher interview where he was just told to "fuck off" for not believing it was a "muslim ban", rendering any attempts at a reasonable conversation completely null.

'There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution' - John Adams

2 party system is 1 step from tyranny. Which considering America's recent past, makes sense

'There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution' - John Adams

2 party system is 1 step from tyranny. Which considering America's recent past, makes sense

Washington also opposed the parties as well, and he even warned the nation against the creation of parties in his farewell speech, but we haven't been known to be good listeners :^)

I mean even Piers Morgan, the human manifestation of the kidney stone pain, made more sense in that one Bill Maher interview where he was just told to "fuck off" for not believing it was a "muslim ban", rendering any attempts at a reasonable conversation completely null.

Yeah I don't really like Piers Morgan but that made zero sense. Atleast Piers was telling actual arguments. 

----

Also, the part about the media is kind of true. There are also 'non-media' platforms, made for banter, that also envy 1 certain way. For example, UNILAD and The Lad Bible. Last week Donald Trump's earpiece failed and he had to pretend to understand Japanese. Which was quite awkward I can imagine but atleast he made the best out of the situation. Then these 'banter' pages with over 20 million followers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram all their get clickbait articles ready 'Donald Trump failed earpiece, so awkward!!' and 'Never forget this epic moment where he looked like a fool *insert laugh smiley*' 

Meanwhile, if it had been Obama, the clickbait titles would have been 'Obama earpiece fails, handles situation like A BOSS! Absolute savage!' and 'Coolest president in history deals with failing earpiece like a boss!' While these pages claim to be neutral.

That's kind of annoying sometimes. But then again, it goes both ways because obviously Fox News is not 100% neutral either, seeing as their guests who coincidentally always happen to be Trump supporters. Whereas CNN does the quite opposite...