Gaming PC build

Wokath

I'm not necessarily saying to buy Zen. It could end up having terrible gaming performance -- right now everything is based on leaks and a few (probably cherry picked) benchmarks by AMD. Intel might still end up being a better choice -- but there is a good chance that Zen will be a good choice and/or that Zen will lead Intel to lower prices. Either way, it's worth waiting a couple weeks to see how it turns out. 

A 144hz monitor will only let you see up to 144fps. You can't see more fps than the refresh rate of the monitor. So, having a frame rate higher than the refresh rate of the monitor is mostly irrelevant.

I say mostly because there are two reasons why you want or could want your fps > refresh rate of the monitor. 

1. You want your minimums >= 144fps, which generally means your average fps will probably be more like 150-170fps. 
  2. You want the most up-to-date frame possible. If you're running the game at 200fps on a 144hz monitor, then you will only see 144fps, HOWEVER, you'll end up getting a slightly more up-to-date frame (albeit with tearing). This reason is basically irrelevant, but it does technically exist. 

So AMD ryzen came out.  Now what?  Keep with the build you suggested before or do something different?  

@Wokath wait for Zen which should be announced within the next month or so. The leaked rumors put it noticeably cheaper than Intel (although, that being the case -- along with some architecture diagrams -- leads me to the assumption that Zen will be lacking in some areas -- including FPU performance. So, it's hard to say how Zen will perform, but I expect it to be good in gaming leading to Intel lowering prices). As of this moment (although, I would still wait for Zen), I'd get this: 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.74 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($219.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $900.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 21:41 EST-0500

So AMD ryzen came out.  Now what?  Keep with the build you suggested before or do something different?  

The R7 loses in gaming to a 7700k (as expected, kind of, it doesn't seem to overclock well at all, so it's about 10% worse than a lot of people were guessing), but Intel hasn't reacted yet. I'm expecting them to drop prices on Broadwell-E (6800, 6850k, 6900k, 6950x) at some point, but I don't know when and I don't know if Intel will drop prices on the consumer platform at this point. 

So, if you can't/don't want to wait any longer, then yes, the previous build is still good. 

The R7 loses in gaming to a 7700k (as expected, kind of, it doesn't seem to overclock well at all, so it's about 10% worse than a lot of people were guessing), but Intel hasn't reacted yet. I'm expecting them to drop prices on Broadwell-E (6800, 6850k, 6900k, 6950x) at some point, but I don't know when and I don't know if Intel will drop prices on the consumer platform at this point. 

So, if you can't/don't want to wait any longer, then yes, the previous build is still good. 

I can wait.  It is my money that I am spending and don't mind saving a few bucks just by waiting.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($219.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $900.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 21:41 EST-0500

I might actually steal this build for myself... Would I be able to get away with a 6600k rather than a 7600k? The performance difference seems minute and it would save a good 50 bucks or more

I might actually steal this build for myself... Would I be able to get away with a 6600k rather than a 7600k? The performance difference seems minute and it would save a good 50 bucks or more

There's no difference. Kaby Lake is identical to Skylake except it has a slightly higher factory clockspeed (irrelevant on a -K SKU, and irrelevant in general since it's such a minuscule difference), support for 4k netflix, and support for a few new features like Intel Optane (which also doesn't really matter to anyone). 

There's no difference. Kaby Lake is identical to Skylake except it has a slightly higher factory clockspeed (irrelevant on a -K SKU, and irrelevant in general since it's such a minuscule difference), support for 4k netflix, and support for a few new features like Intel Optane (which also doesn't really matter to anyone). 

You're extremely helpful lmao

One more question:

I'm torn between getting a locked cpu (more specifically the i5-6500) and the 6600k. Only thing is the difference in pricing for the M- mobos and the Z- mobos are in the hundred(s). Would I be handicapping myself if I got a M110 with an i5-6500 or should I spend the extra 100-200 dollars on a Z170 and the 6600k?

(oh wait this isn't my thread whoops)

I'm torn between getting a locked cpu (more specifically the i5-6500) and the 6600k. Only thing is the difference in pricing for the M- mobos and the Z- mobos are in the hundred(s). Would I be handicapping myself if I got a M110 with an i5-6500 or should I spend the extra 100-200 dollars on a Z170 and the 6600k?

(oh wait this isn't my thread whoops)

I'd say kind of a yes and no thing. Yes you would be handicapping yourself by not getting a K chip because your performance is then limited to what the 6500 can turbo to, but depending on what games you play (BF1 in particular is very CPU intensive) it may not be worth the extra if the difference is seriously over $100.

I'd say kind of a yes and no thing. Yes you would be handicapping yourself by not getting a K chip because your performance is then limited to what the 6500 can turbo to, but depending on what games you play (BF1 in particular is very CPU intensive) it may not be worth the extra if the difference is seriously over $100.

Well from a ton of research I can conclude that the framerate difference is about 10fps max, in most games anyway. The GFX card seems to be what carries most of the load, and a 6500 wouldn't be able to bottleneck a 1070/480. I think for the money I'd be saving just not getting the Z-type mobo alone would be worth sticking with no overclocking

Well from a ton of research I can conclude that the framerate difference is about 10fps max, in most games anyway. The GFX card seems to be what carries most of the load, and a 6500 wouldn't be able to bottleneck a 1070/480. I think for the money I'd be saving just not getting the Z-type mobo alone would be worth sticking with no overclocking

Yeah you're probably right although I did bring up BF1 because recently a friend had some trouble with it having pretty bad frame drops, but he was using an older i5 4440 which only goes up to 3.3GHz.

Yeah you're probably right although I did bring up BF1 because recently a friend had some trouble with it having pretty bad frame drops, but he was using an older i5 4440 which only goes up to 3.3GHz.

The i5 6500 is locked at 3.2 so that's slightly worrying... from what I hear though BF1 is very CPU intensive so that's on one extreme of the spectrum

A 6500 definitely can bottleneck a 1070. Whether or not it's worth spending the money depends on how big of a difference there is in the specific games you play (don't forget to keep an eye on 1% and .1% framerates -- minimums -- as those are VERY important as well).

A 4440 isn't that much slower than a 6500. A 6500 only turbos to 3.3ghz on all four cores (and has a 10%~ IPC advantage over Haswell).

A 6500 definitely can bottleneck a 1070. Whether or not it's worth spending the money depends on how big of a difference there is in the specific games you play (don't forget to keep an eye on 1% and .1% framerates -- minimums -- as those are VERY important as well).

A 4440 isn't that much slower than a 6500. A 6500 only turbos to 3.3ghz on all four cores (and has a 10%~ IPC advantage over Haswell).

This is the build I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($258.34 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.95 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($88.98 @ DirectCanada)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($142.00 @ Vuugo)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.75 @ Vuugo)

Total: $788.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-08 16:33 EST-0500

I would probably use my existing R9 270 until I have saved up enough for either a RX 480 or a GTX 1060

This is the build I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($258.34 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.95 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($88.98 @ DirectCanada)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($142.00 @ Vuugo)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.75 @ Vuugo)

Total: $788.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-08 16:33 EST-0500

I would probably use my existing R9 270 until I have saved up enough for either a RX 480 or a GTX 1060

You can knock another $100~ off: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DHsTD8

The PSU I chose is better, the stock cooler is fine (albeit it can be annoying under loud), and the motherboard/RAM is just as good. You could also go with a cheaper 250gb~ SSD, and save another $20 (or go with a 120gb~ SSD and save $60~).

You can knock another $100~ off: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DHsTD8

The PSU I chose is better, the stock cooler is fine (albeit it can be annoying under loud), and the motherboard/RAM is just as good. You could also go with a cheaper 250gb~ SSD, and save another $20 (or go with a 120gb~ SSD and save $60~).

Hey thanks for the revision. I do already have a Rocketfish 500w and it's served me well over the years, but from all that I've seen it doesn't handle large loads (lol) well. As for the i5-7500 I didn't know that was so cheap

Also, it's very new, would there be some compatibility issues with certain motherboards? I've read that some 7th Gen chips won't flash on some boards without first flashing with a 6th (pardon my ineptitude)

Hey thanks for the revision. I do already have a Rocketfish 500w and it's served me well over the years, but from all that I've seen it doesn't handle large loads (lol) well. As for the i5-7500 I didn't know that was so cheap

Also, it's very new, would there be some compatibility issues with certain motherboards? I've read that some 7th Gen chips won't flash on some boards without first flashing with a 6th (pardon my ineptitude)

Motherboard compatibility will depends on what BIOS version the board happens to ship with. If you're unlucky you get an old revision and have to put in a 6th gen to work.

But my god rocketfish? That's one of those obscure names I never thought I'd hear someone own. Not to knock your experience but that junk's on the fire hazard list.

That PSU is probably crap, so....

There is a chance it will ship with an incompatible bios, however, you could call whoever you buy it from and see if you can find out what revision board it is and/or what bios is installed on it (and/or how old the stock is) -- depending on who you buy from, you can often just return it for a full refund if you get unlucky. At this point, Kaby Lake compatible bioses have been out since around November/December. But if you don't want to risk in, then you can just switch it to a 6500 at basically no loss. 

Motherboard compatibility will depends on what BIOS version the board happens to ship with. If you're unlucky you get an old revision and have to put in a 6th gen to work.

But my god rocketfish? That's one of those obscure names I never thought I'd hear someone own. Not to knock your experience but that junk's on the fire hazard list.

Rocketfish is Bestbuy's in-house brand. 

Lol picked it up at best buy almost ten years ago. It's served me well over the years and the fan inside of it is still going strong, but like I said I'm not really pushing my system at the moment ;p

But yeah from what I can gather as long as I can find a cheap old Skylake CPU I can still update if need be