Gaming PC build

Wokath

Looking for something that can give me 200+ fps in TF2 and be able to play Overwatch on default settings with high fps.  Something that gives me the "best bang for buck".  Also need new mouse, mousepad, monitor (144hz), and keyboard.  I'm also ok with buying refurbished products to save a few bucks.

The mouse and keyboard does not have to be anything fancy, just usable, so no need for extra buttons and features on them.

I already have this monitor in mind to buy: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00KO4518I/?tag=amazon0606-20

if you want a computer to do 200+ fps that will be pretty hard to keep it consistent in tf2 unless you have a solid cpu and use a graphics config, or you get a i7 with a high clock speed or get and i5 and overclock it which is more complex but doable 

rule of thumb for tf2 performance is high cpu clock speed and strong cpu cores=more fps

spending money on graphics cards for tf2 will do jack shit it only matter up to a certain point

if you want a computer to do 200+ fps that will be pretty hard to keep it consistent in tf2 unless you have a solid cpu and use a graphics config, or you get a i7 with a high clock speed or get and i5 and overclock it which is more complex but doable 

rule of thumb for tf2 performance is high cpu clock speed and strong cpu cores=more fps

spending money on graphics cards for tf2 will do jack shit it only matter up to a certain point

Overclocking is extremely easy. And even a LOCKED Pentium G4400 (which is completely irrelevant with the G4560 out anyway) can push well over 200 fps in TF2 (not overwatch) when paired with a good enough GPU (which also doesn't need to be too good). TF2 is an incredibly easy game to run and doesn't really take advantage of more than one core. A 780 + G3258 @ 4.2ghz can get about 500fps in TF2, go with a CPU that can't be overclocked and an even halfway-decent GPU, and 200 fps is easy as pie. With that said, getting 200fps is (mostly) irrelevant if the monitor is only capable of 60hz.

@Wokath wait for Zen which should be announced within the next month or so. The leaked rumors put it noticeably cheaper than Intel (although, that being the case -- along with some architecture diagrams -- leads me to the assumption that Zen will be lacking in some areas -- including FPU performance. So, it's hard to say how Zen will perform, but I expect it to be good in gaming leading to Intel lowering prices). As of this moment (although, I would still wait for Zen), I'd get this: 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($219.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $900.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 21:41 EST-0500

i just went from an gtx 960 to a rx 480 it has done nothing in source games for me as you could imagine 

Then you're being CPU limited (although as I said, even a 960 would be more than enough to get well over 200fps in TF2). 

@Wokath wait for Zen which should be announced within the next month or so. The leaked rumors put it noticeably cheaper than Intel (although, that being the case -- along with some architecture diagrams -- leads me to the assumption that Zen will be lacking in some areas -- including FPU performance. So, it's hard to say how Zen will perform, but I expect it to be good in gaming leading to Intel lowering prices). As of this moment (although, I would still wait for Zen), I'd get this: 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($219.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $900.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 21:41 EST-0500

What if I buy everything listed here but not the CPU, and wait for zen to come out and buy that?  Would both options get me constant 200+ fps in tf2 and decent fps in overwatch and other new games?  I just don't want to have 200+ fps while in tf2 spawn room and drop down to 50ish when in combat, but instead constant 200+.

What if I buy everything listed here but not the CPU, and wait for zen to come out and buy that?  Would both options get me constant 200+ fps in tf2 and decent fps in overwatch and other new games?  I just don't want to have 200+ fps while in tf2 spawn room and drop down to 50ish when in combat, but instead constant 200+.

You would also have to buy a AM4 Motherboard cuz Intel and AMD aren't compatible. If you want to get some serious power, invest in a 1080 or a 1070 then OC that. Also you want a monitor that is 144hz or greater so there isn't any bottlenecking 

You would also have to buy a AM4 Motherboard cuz Intel and AMD aren't compatible. If you want to get some serious power, invest in a 1080 or a 1070 then OC that. Also you want a monitor that is 144hz or greater so there isn't any bottlenecking 

Already have a monitor in mind to buy that is 144hz.  The rest of what you just said is a blur to me since I have no knowledge in computer parts and stuff.  May I ask kindly for you to link me things to buy that can give me constant 200+ fps in tf2 and good constant fps on other games like overwatch?

I wouldn't buy anything until you're ready to buy everything as GPU prices could fall by then. Yes, my 780 easily gets 300fps almost everywhere and much higher in other places (and a 480/1060 are noticeably faster than a 780).

don't get your hopes up because your gonna have a hard time keeping a consistent 200 fps+ in tf2 let alone 144 frames with that build 

also there is an rx 480 for 184$ on amazon it is 4gb though and it will be enough for 1080p 

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-RX-480-ARMOR/dp/B01M368YOU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487113132&sr=1-1&keywords=rx+480

No, that build will easily get over 200fps -- it's significantly better than my system and I easily get well over 200fps. And 4gb is enough for 1080p right now, but it won't be long before you're going to NEED more for 1080p in AAA titles, and you're talking an extra $40~ on a near $1000~ build. 

Already have a monitor in mind to buy that is 144hz.  The rest of what you just said is a blur to me since I have no knowledge in computer parts and stuff.  May I ask kindly for you to link me things to buy that can give me constant 200+ fps in tf2 and good constant fps on other games like overwatch?

Again, you don't need 200fps if your monitor can only do 144hz. There's no real benefit to >144fps~ (assuming you have minimums above that as well). And anything above a 970/390 will do the job just fine (and a 480/1060 are around a 980).1080p.png

actually for tf2 your build is better you get good frane rates because you have an i5 running at 4.5 ghz not because you have a gtx 780

A 7600k is all around better than a 4690k, and again, TF2 only really needs one strong core (and it doesn't even need to be that strong to get >=144fps), and GPU power still does play a role -- so long as it's not being bottlenecked by the CPU. 

I wouldn't buy anything until you're ready to buy everything as GPU prices could fall by then. Yes, my 780 easily gets 300fps almost everywhere and much higher in other places (and a 480/1060 are noticeably faster than a 780).

Ok got ya.  I'll just wait until the zen comes out and buy that.  When that time comes can you recommend me what to buy?

Again, you don't need 200fps if your monitor can only do 144hz. There's no real benefit to >144fps~ (assuming you have minimums above that as well). And anything above a 970/390 will do the job just fine (and a 480/1060 are around a 980).

What does this mean?  I thought I needed a 144hz monitor or else I won't be able to get 200+ fps because lower hz monitors won't be able to keep up with changes going onscreen?

Ok got ya.  I'll just wait until the zen comes out and buy that.  When that time comes can you recommend me what to buy?

What does this mean?  I thought I needed a 144hz monitor or else I won't be able to get 200+ fps because lower hz monitors won't be able to keep up with changes going onscreen?

I'm not necessarily saying to buy Zen. It could end up having terrible gaming performance -- right now everything is based on leaks and a few (probably cherry picked) benchmarks by AMD. Intel might still end up being a better choice -- but there is a good chance that Zen will be a good choice and/or that Zen will lead Intel to lower prices. Either way, it's worth waiting a couple weeks to see how it turns out. 

A 144hz monitor will only let you see up to 144fps. You can't see more fps than the refresh rate of the monitor. So, having a frame rate higher than the refresh rate of the monitor is mostly irrelevant.

I say mostly because there are two reasons why you want or could want your fps > refresh rate of the monitor. 

1. You want your minimums >= 144fps, which generally means your average fps will probably be more like 150-170fps. 
  2. You want the most up-to-date frame possible. If you're running the game at 200fps on a 144hz monitor, then you will only see 144fps, HOWEVER, you'll end up getting a slightly more up-to-date frame (albeit with tearing). This reason is basically irrelevant, but it does technically exist. 
  • Like 2