Any recommendations for Dungeon Crawler, Rogue-Like, Rogue-Lite, Adventure-Survival games?

Faegem

Ooh boy, this is just my kind of thread.

Pixel Dungeon is a traditional top down dungeon-crawler roguelike that is so good it's pretty much the only game I play on my phone.

Spelunky is another personal favorite, it's a brutally difficult platformer with a lot of depth and endless replayability.

Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon are top-down shooters with roguelike elements. NT was the first of its kind and is more simple twitch action, while Enter the Gungeon has hundreds of weapons and items, like the Binding of Isaac.

FTL: Faster than Light is a space-themed strategy game, where you control the crew of a single spaceship and try to survive while being pursued by an enemy fleet and facing random encounters.

Lastly, Downwell is a vertical platformer where you jump and shoot your way down a well. Pretty simple but incredibly addictive. The controls make it suitable for both PC and mobile platforms.

Ooh boy, this is just my kind of thread.

Pixel Dungeon is a traditional top down dungeon-crawler roguelike that is so good it's pretty much the only game I play on my phone.

Spelunky is another personal favorite, it's a brutally difficult platformer with a lot of depth and endless replayability.

Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon are top-down shooters with roguelike elements. NT was the first of its kind and is more simple twitch action, while Enter the Gungeon has hundreds of weapons and items, like the Binding of Isaac.

FTL: Faster than Light is a space-themed strategy game, where you control the crew of a single spaceship and try to survive while being pursued by an enemy fleet and facing random encounters.

Lastly, Downwell is a vertical platformer where you jump and shoot your way down a well. Pretty simple but incredibly addictive. The controls make it suitable for both PC and mobile platforms.

Thanks! Going to buy Downwell, Nuclear Throne, and Enter the Gungeon.

• Like 1

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth: http://store.steampowered.com/app/250900/

Dungeon Crawler / Rogue-like

NeuroVoider: http://store.steampowered.com/app/400450/

Dungeon Crawler / Rogue-like / Good soundtrack

Titan Souls: http://store.steampowered.com/app/400450/

Rogue-like / Difficult

Risk of Rain: http://store.steampowered.com/app/248820/

Rogue-like/lite

BoIR: I have

NeuroVoider: I guess I'll put that on my wishlist, thanks!

Titan Souls: I have

Risk of Rain: I have

Thanks for recommending though.

Oh boy, this is also definitely my kind of thread, roguelike is probably my favorite genre.

Now first of all i'm glad you have played Binding of Isaac so i can use that as a point of reference from other games.

Nuclear Throne: It has a similar top down perspective like binding of isaac, but the game is very hectic and fast paced, not to mention harder. You also can play a selection of characters with different abilities and unlock others along the way. The game has weapons that you can use to shoot and drop to change with other weapons. You have an XP bar, meaning you get xp for every enemy killed, each level up makes you a choice of 4 mutations (either higher hp, faster movement, ability improvements and the sorts).

Enter the Gungeon: The game is very much a hybrid of isaac and nuclear throne. It has a similar zelda style room clearing concept like isaac, with the same weapon management and pace like nuclear throne, although its slightly slower paced than nuclear throne. Its arguably the harder of the 3 games due to very high skill gaps from new players to veteran ones. The trick is to learn patterns and room layouts and you will have an easier time. It has bosses at the end of the room and also has chest rooms and item shops on each floor. Unlike isaac however, you will be more dependent by what really good weapon you get, since the game doesn't have that many synergies with items, rather than how good a weapon you can get as a drop, which can dictate if a weapon is so good that can win you a run or not. 

FTL (Faster Than Light): A slightly different rogue like game. You basically command a space cruiser in a top down perspective and command a crew of 2-3 people (more will join along the way) and you basically assign them to various rooms on the ship (for example one can manage the weapons to shoot other ships, another can manage the cruiser's shield, and of course, one will manage the control room to keep the ship moving and pilot it etc.). If you like this sort of genre, you will love FTL, you basically are moving along star systems and can randomly encounter either friendly ships, enemies, shops, various pods that can contain aliens in them or stuff like that. Note that the game is pretty hard, you can encounter more advanced cruisers than you and at times you must escape or else you will get damaged beyond repair and will be destroyed by anything if you won't encounter stations to pay and repair your ship and refuel it. You die once, you start over. You will unlock other ships as you do tasks or advance throughout the game, its very addictive and very fun and i very much recommend it.

Rogue Legacy: Easy game to get into yet the game's difficulty is pretty hard. A side scroller where you control a knight and adventure inside a castle. Its very very similar to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, with a very similar metroidvania map style. You start very simple, you kill stuff and get money, each castle floor has a boss somewhere in them. You will die a lot of times by the time you get to the boss.

Each time you die, your kids will continue your legacy and you will start as them and their kids will start as them if they die and so on. Sometimes they have various quirks (like one can only be colorblind and the game will only be black and white, others jump very high, others are super small or super giant, while others can have actual alzheimers where the map is not even present anymore). Each descendant will continue to keep their money from the previous knight and permanently upgrade them as you can advance further and further into the game. Its incredibly fun and its absolutely worth a try.

Risk of Rain: Another side scroller. The game is set on various planets where you fight monsters as time goes on. Eventually after killing a number of monsters, the boss will spawn and a teleporter will open and you can advance to the next level after you kill it. A level can contain various items, money containers, secret entrances and you can upgrade your character with said items. The game's music is very atmospheric, don't know what the correct word is when a game has such a good music that it just sucks you in and has that euphoric feeling to it. Game is also not that long, you eventually stack up items and upgrades and advance to the final boss and finish the game. Again, its very fun if you like this specific type of gameplay. Also has online coop.

Spelunky: VERY fun game. It's another side scroller where you advance further and further down the mines as you play. Each level has shops and other various encounters that can randomly happen. You kill enemies and advance through the level as you keep descending. After a few levels the theme changes from ice levels to jungles and other even more dangerous areas as you go down. It has fall damage, so you fall too high you get damaged, it also has pits and spikes where you just die instantly if you fall. It's pretty fast paced and very addictive. It has a lot of secrets on levels and a lot of progression as you keep dying and discover various stuff to use it to your advantage on your next life as you start over. Not sure if it has online coop, don't think it had last time i played, but like a lot of games in here, it has local coop.

Crypt of the Necrodancer: The game's music is top tier triple A quality. You basically play with a chick and go through a dungeon and kill stuff. Levels also have similar setups like binding of isaac, with shops, secret item locations and the sorts. You kill enemies and you advance through the next level (they are set up as mario style like 1-2, 1-3 with each last floor of a level will contain a boss).

The main catch to the game, is that you can only move to the beats of the music. You and the enemies will always move as the music's beats goes on, and at times your score multiplier and will go down if you don't time the beat correctly. If your multiplier is high, you get more money from dead enemies. Various levels have faster paced music with faster beats to move, therefore the enemies and yourself will go faster. There are various characters that can have different abilities in conjunction with the beat movement mechanic, including a character than can move freely without any beat movement to do. Game is fun but not for everyone if they don't like the mechanic. The music on the other hand is arguably one of the best aspects of the game, very well done.

Darkest Dungeon: Oh boy.. this game is arguably the hardest of them, the RNG can fuck you up really hard at times. This is more of a rogue like than most rogue like games mentioned (where they are mostly referred as rogue-lites).

The game is a turn based dungeon crawler where you control a group of 4 people in a linear dungeon where you traverse in hallways and you can encounter enemies, treasure, other good or bad items and each end of hallway has a room in it. The rooms will mostly contain treasures and enemies to fight for it or the room will be empty. You have an inventory system to collect your treasure on each level and bring them to the town to upgrade it and your characters.

The characters consist of different skill sets and abilities, either of a knight, plague doctor, highwayman with a gun and the sorts. Each character will always heal 100% at the end of each dungeon adventure, however what will persist even in the town is a stress bar that will rise up from various stuff (such as going on traps, getting critical hits from enemies, special stress attacks from enemies etc.). The stress bar has 0/200 and the threshold is 100/200 where you character will start to panic and can do stuff without your command, even panicking other members. If the stress goes to 200/200 your character will have a heart attack and die. You can heal your stress level by assigning your characters to various building for stress relieving (like drinking, brothels, praying etc.) and it will heal their stress a bit, but they will be unavailable for the current mission.

This game is VERY grim, it has Lovecraft style eldrich monsters with a Tim Burton style animation. It will leave you a lot of times hopeless and with no mood to play it as you get annihilated by the enemies and OH GOD THE BOSSES JESUS FUCK. However when you succeed, then its very satisfying as you will further have items to equip on your characters and good amount of money to buy various stuff and skills for them.

The turn based mechanic consist of each of your character having a turn to attack the enemies, and each of the enemy having then a turn to attack you. If your speed is high enough, your characters go first, or whichever character has the highest speed compared to the enemeis. It has a moderate tactical approach where you must use the appropriate skills and prioritize which enemy is the most dangerous.

These are the most successful and top tier roguelike games that i can think of and i played. If you need others i think i have a few more to recommend, otherwise i hope you like at least some of them.

Also i'm not sure if it fits in this category, but the XCOM series are also tactical turn based games that you manage your squads with each member having level ups and abilities in order to combat the aliens.

I've played ever since the old xcom called Terror From The Deep. I love the modern ones better and XCOM 2 is arguably my favorite games of last year.

It similarly has a permadeath feature where if one of your guy dies, they die for good. It also has an ironman mode where it autosaves the game and you cannot manually save it. Also has a TON of mod support via workshop, and thus tons of replayabilty.

I was gonna recommended you some great games but seems like The Squirrel(AFFIRMATIVE) beat me to it to recommend you great edgy games 

I was gonna recommended you some great games but seems like The Squirrel(AFFIRMATIVE) beat me to it to recommend you great edgy games 

Well I actually have most of them except for 2, lol. I need moar recommendations.

Well I actually have most of them except for 2, lol. I need moar recommendations.

I mean you don't own like half the games i listed above, but if it includes the ones you are going to buy then sure i guess. Here are a few more.

Dungeon Souls: is another roguelike dungeon crawler that is mostly inspired by some of the games i listed above.

Don't Starve: Is more fit in the survival genre, but it has roguelike features like permadeath in it and randomly generated area. It's more similar to terraria or other games where you start with mostly nothing and you scavenge for stuff throughout the game to advanced towards various tiers of technologies and weapons in order to access harder areas or defeat bigger enemies. Don't Starve Together is the coop version in it. It has most of the content that the original has besides the Shipwrecked DLC.

Vagante: Is likewise a permadeath featured platformer with randomly generated levels. Its like a more slow paced spelunky where there are equal number of stuff that can kill you in one hit.

There's also another game made by the Don't Starve devs called Invisible Inc. Its more or less like a turn based tactical game like XCOM but its heavy on doing them stealthily. You choose various characters to suit best on doing the objectives given on the mission. It also has higher difficulties where the game becomes really unforgiving.

I would also suggest looking forward for EITR. While its not really a roguelike, the game is an isometric RPG heavily inspired by the Dark Souls series, i assume that by association with roguelikes, you will like similar games that are very difficult. The game was supposed to be released in 2016 but it got delayed and will be released sometime this year.

You can also check out games that i haven't played so far but i heard they are promising enough, which are Dungeons of Dremor, Magicite and Delver.

You have a healthy amount of games to choose from, i would suggest to actually play them now, since i see the only roguelike game you played the most is 50h on binding of isaac.

I mean you don't own like half the games i listed above, but if it includes the ones you are going to buy then sure i guess. Here are a few more.

Dungeon Souls: is another roguelike dungeon crawler that is mostly inspired by some of the games i listed above.

Don't Starve: Is more fit in the survival genre, but it has roguelike features like permadeath in it and randomly generated area. It's more similar to terraria or other games where you start with mostly nothing and you scavenge for stuff throughout the game to advanced towards various tiers of technologies and weapons in order to access harder areas or defeat bigger enemies. Don't Starve Together is the coop version in it. It has most of the content that the original has besides the Shipwrecked DLC.

Vagante: Is likewise a permadeath featured platformer with randomly generated levels. Its like a more slow paced spelunky where there are equal number of stuff that can kill you in one hit.

There's also another game made by the Don't Starve devs called Invisible Inc. Its more or less like a turn based tactical game like XCOM but its heavy on doing them stealthily. You choose various characters to suit best on doing the objectives given on the mission. It also has higher difficulties where the game becomes really unforgiving.

I would also suggest looking forward for EITR. While its not really a roguelike, the game is an isometric RPG heavily inspired by the Dark Souls series, i assume that by association with roguelikes, you will like similar games that are very difficult. The game was supposed to be released in 2016 but it got delayed and will be released sometime this year.

You can also check out games that i haven't played so far but i heard they are promising enough, which are Dungeons of Dremor, Magicite and Delver.

You have a healthy amount of games to choose from, i would suggest to actually play them now, since i see the only roguelike game you played the most is 50h on binding of isaac.

Yeah, when I meant "have" I meant in my steam library or on my wishlist.txt lol.

So much for checking my game list to invalidate my last comment.

• 2 weeks later...