help me pick an mp3 player

trikster

So my iPod 2nd gen that I have bought over 10 years ago is slowly dying and as a dying wish it has asked me to replace it with something good. Since I had it for just about a decade, I have never looked onto the portable player market and have not a single clue was is happening there. So I was hoping you guys could help me with some advice. 

I need something thats similair size and shape as iPod 2nd gen - has a colour screen, but also buttons, is light and small. With decent battery charge. And the most important - does not need any software to transfer music (simple drag-and-drop) as iTunes made me want to rip my hair out sometimes. My budget is around 100£, so nothing fancy-shmancy. 

Any info is appreciated! Thanks a lot :)

iPod 5th gen? :P

Wont go for another iPod due to iTunes.

Sony - Walkman NW-E393?

Looks interesting! Do you have it? Some reviews online suggest its not the best model.

Why not just use your phone?

Many reasons - i dont have enough space on my phone to keep all of my music, i need my phone alive most of the time, but constant music will just kill the battery and the simple reason that I can listen to music as much as I want, without the risk of being without a phone dying (eg. I listen to music constantly for like 20 hours when I travel and I store my tickets in my phone - if my phone dies Im screwed and equally I dont want to keep it on the power bank all the time)

Many reasons - i dont have enough space on my phone to keep all of my music, i need my phone alive most of the time, but constant music will just kill the battery and the simple reason that I can listen to music as much as I want, without the risk of being without a phone dying (eg. I listen to music constantly for like 20 hours when I travel and I store my tickets in my phone - if my phone dies Im screwed and equally I dont want to keep it on the power bank all the time)

SD card?

128GB sd cards are like $50. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W056F1313 Buy one of those, and just use an external battery. (  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875790022). Have this one, its great.

If you just want it to play music just buy a basic mp3 player for like 20 euro. You can get one with like 8 gig of storage for that, and 8 gig is a lot for just music. Yeah you'll look like you live in 2005 but who cares? 

• Like 2

Check out the Fiio X1. It's a little on the expensive side, but it should fit all your requirements. You will need a micro sd card to use it though.

(Just to clarify, you should be able to get this and a 64GB card for less that 100 pounds.)

Well download your music in another way then. If you know what I mean. (forum rules) :P

I think the issue is more of a matter of the itunes interface, seeing how you don't have to buy music from itunes to have it in your itunes library. Like if you want to listen to Mr. Scruff's Kalimba without using windows media player.

I think the issue is more of a matter of the itunes interface, seeing how you don't have to buy music from itunes to have it in your itunes library. Like if you want to listen to Mr. Scruff's Kalimba without using windows media player.

I have a bunch of music on my iPhone/iPad that's in my Apple Music program. I don't have any 3rd party media player apps. When I transfer the music from Mac -> iPhone it automatically places the music in iTunes/Apple Music. (I don't have any Apple Music subscriptions)

Playing music really does not use that much battery. Obviously it helps to not play music, but it doesn't help so much that you need to worry about it.

If you're willing to spend 100 pounds on a MP3, I'd use that money for a phone upgrade. 

Check out the Fiio X1. It's a little on the expensive side, but it should fit all your requirements. You will need a micro sd card to use it though.

Thanks for this one, ill check it out :)

Edit: Checked it out - seems good and comments are nice as well, although the size is a bit too big. Do you have any comments on their Fiio M3 model? That thing is a bit smaller haha

If you just want it to play music just buy a basic mp3 player for like 20 euro. You can get one with like 8 gig of storage for that, and 8 gig is a lot for just music. Yeah you'll look like you live in 2005 but who cares? 

I'll take it into consideration haha although its hard to find reliable cheap mp3 - so id rather go for something more expensive, that wont die when im away from home for months leaving me without music :P

My hatred for iTunes stems from long ago, when perfectly installed iTunes refused to gain access to any device, forums were useless and I was left without it for several moths until I finally decided to reinstall my windows. After that, they made it that newest version of iTunes that I need to connect my phone doesnt support this ancient iPod anymore, which I find amazingly stupid and just hate the idea of it :) again official advises were useless so I have entered a cycle, where I was deleting and reinstalling iTunes depending on what device I had to connect :D

Playing music really does not use that much battery. Obviously it helps to not play music, but it doesn't help so much that you need to worry about it.

If you're willing to spend 100 pounds on a MP3, I'd use that money for a phone upgrade. 

It's more of a space issue and again iTunes - and Im completely satisfied with my phone, so see no reason to upgrade it :)