Skinny 16 y/o tries to Bulk Up! [GONE WRONG]

Flaim

Yo! So I know its very cliche to get all inspired at the beginning of the year to make better fitness choices and start going to the gym and stuff. And I know that probably 98% of people who make that resolution fail and quit after a couple weeks.. but here I am, and I wanna try!

Im pretty sure theres actually a decent amount of guys here who have good fitness tips.

I dont have P.E. this year as a class, and besides small daily activity I really dont get much exercise at all. I feel like I am getting weaker, and that if I continue to live with this habit of not making an effort to stay fit then Ill have health or weight issues in the future.

Me:

- I am 16 years old.

- I am 6 feet tall (1.828meters)

- I weigh 130-135 lbs

My Main Goal:

I would like to fill out so that im not as skinny, as well as just improve my stamina and endurance. I want to gain muscle all over, but I dont know what exercises I need to do specifically to help my chest, arms, back, and calf muscles grow.

Eating Changes:

I want to change my eating habits to support this new lifestyle, so I want to know how to eat. Im not gonna go all out and buy red meat and chicken for every meal of the day, but I am willing to cut back a lot on the sweets and junk I usually eat. I want to know how often I'd be able to eat junk food (like if I were to eat pizza at a friends house), and also how much protein or salt or sugar I should be getting per day.

Working out:

I will be working out from home. I have a few sets of dumbells (7lbs each, 5lbs, 10 lbs, 15lbs, and one with disks), I have a bar with 4x 10lbs disks and 4x 15lbs disks, I have a treadmill, and I also have an older version of this bowflex machine:

5cd58874d8be24e5cccddc2658dc1c8b.png

So I dont have access to a full gym, but I do have some stuff I can work with. So do you guys have any tips on how often I should work out? What days are for what muscle groups?

Any tips would be super appreciated. Ive tried this in the past but have never succeeded beyond 3 weeks, but this time I want to take this seriously and change how I live. Thank you!

You are not going to bulk up just with these 2 machines, you will have to go to a real gym. I can definitely help you since im a gym instructor and make you a nice training programme and a diet plan. I have got 3 years of experience of creating such programmes and I GUARANTEE you that if you follow it strictly, there will be results after the first one to two months, depending on how strict with your meals are. Fitness is all about food. All the bodies you see, it's created all in the gym but don't expect to get ripped when eating burgers or just apples. It's like 80 % food / 20 % training. If you wanna chit chat about it , messege me here or in steam. 

sHLTLzi.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah what Zest said.

I'm no expert, but I'm 6'1 and i managed to go from 65kg to 80kg most of which was muscle. When you're skinny, I found the most important thing is to stuff your face 24/7 with good food. Eggs, meat, oats, i ate a lot of suger free cereals as well. Although it was a bit more calculated than just 'stuffing my face' because I had calculated a calorie quota for each day which I would work to meet.

Personally, I never trained in a gym. I did a lot of calisthenics at a park near my house where there were bars and what not and later on, I also began to use adjustable dumbells at home. Pushups, pullups, and variations of said exercises were my bread and butter of any workout. I did a upper body/lower body split. Training each muscle group twice a week. Anybody who says you cant build muscle through calisthenics is talking trash although you will definitely struggle to have legs like the guy above.

• Like 2

Fructose gets converted to fat faster than fat gets converted to fat. Simple sugars are the worst. I would worry less about things like eating pizza once a week and more about cutting out completely candy / sweets as snacks in the middle of the day.

• Administrators

Im no professional and never followed any premade lessons or programs; the following is just my way of working out and stuff.

I guess it really depends on what you want to achieve. I originally took a gym membership because I started to get a belly which I wanted to work on (my basic build is really skinny, but when I do gain weight it ALL sits in my abdominal area and my thighs and nowhere else), but once I lost that, I only weighed 52kg (can convert if needed; am Dutch so I work in kg rather than lb). Im 1,76m (which is approximately 5'10), so as you can imagine that's lighter than I should be even though Im not that tall.

Thats when I started to do more power-focused excercises. I have one single-arm bar-weight (5kg) with discs of 1.25, 2.5 and 5 kg respectively (one for both ends, bringing the total to 20kg). I still want a second one so I can train both arms simultaneously (one of the reasons is that when I stand up I get out of balance easily with some excercises; got used to that for the most part though). Other than that, all I have at home is an abdominal wheel. I try to do daily sets of push- and situps (or a replacement excercise for the situps which is hard to describe). Ive started with 3x10 on pushups and 3x5 on situps; Im now at 3x30 and 3x20 (or I should say was; I dont always have time anymore due to study schedules now so Ive slacked). I also dont have the bar or the wheel in my apartment (I used to live with my parents and am still there every weekend).

Other than that I go to a gym where I do a variety of excercises depending on what I feel like doing. I aim to go twice or thrice a week (last year I quite steadily reached thrice, but since I started studying again my top is twice) for a time varying between 1 and 2 hours. I never really made a schedule of what muscle group to train at what day, as I dont intend to become a bodybuilder (I honestly just dont want to be fat or a twig), and as I know of myself that I dont have the mentality or dedication to return to the gym every day (and dont want to "skip" a certain day etc).

Theres three core/power excercises of which I tried to do one each time I went (that being benchpress, squats and - later on - deadlifts). They're all excercises that require a lot of energy and power from different muscle groups (deadlifting being the most complete one if Im not mistaken). Having them as the base of your training program helps a lot in my eyes. Theres a lot of discussion about whether those excercises are better than isolated excercises (i.e excercises that only focus on one muscle (group)), but I dont care about that and do both :P With those, I've learned not to start too heavy. I generally try to get used to a certain weight and then try to manage 3 sets of that weight x10 or x15, and occasionally attempt to build to a higher level (where I do a higher weight and shorter sets). This'll progress really fast in the start until you hit your basic capacity, from there on it'll be a lot slower. Im currently trying to get back at my original level (that being 80kg bench (or 100 on a 'supported' bench), 100kg squat and 90kg deadlift), but since I go less frequently nowadays, Im lower on those atm (especially deadlifting which i now do at 40 or 50).

Other than those excercises I try to do at least one isolated excercise for abs, biceps, triceps, shoulders and back (the latter two almost always combined with either biceps or triceps) and - when Im not feeling slacky - legs, each time I go. I try to be creative and combine excercises for the same or similar muscle groups in super-sets. I dont always do cardio (I ride a bike to the gym and as a warmup I try to do so at a fast pace; similar to how I go slowly on my way home as a cooldown). Its about a 10 minute ride on average (8 when fast, 12 when slow, approximately). Ive recently picked up additional cardio more since Im currently training with a friend that asked me how I train in the gym, and one of his primary goals is to lose weight. As a cardio replacement I usually just take a bike and ride somewhere. Im lazy on running (but can when I need to; my poor time management makes me have to run every time I need to catch a train or bus, so protip: have terrible time management :D). I dont see that as something you essentially need to do in a gym.

As for food and such:
My diet is simple: I have none. I dont look at calories, I probably eat more unhealthy stuff than I should on a dietary program (which is why my face is/was so messed up), so thats not something I can help you with. my digestive system works pretty fast so I dont gain weight that much because of that, but it makes real bulking up a lot more difficult. But once again, my aspirations are not very specific and I dont even want to be much bulkier than I am now. My daily food is okay-ish in terms of variety and balance I guess; I dont really eat fruit, but I eat enough (probably more than the adviced daily dose) vegetables and meat a day, either with a base of pasta, rice or potatoes (mainly the latter actually). When I cook at my apartment I usually have far more than needed for dinner as its really hard to have single-person portions of food that arent pre-packed (especially with meat). That causes me to be less hungry the rest of the day and automatically makes me cut back on sweets and stuff (which is good I guess). I rarely eat at fastfood restaurants, or eat stuff like pizza and other calory bombs, not because I have an eating schedule preventing me from doing so, but simply because I dont really enjoy them (with a slight exception for KFC, which is kind of a weak spot, and my younger brother works there.) Take that for what you will, if you want a specific eating programyou probably shouldnt listen to me :P

Also kinda food-related: I dont do protein shakes and whatnot. A lot of people adviced me to use them and Im sure they work, but to me it mainly seems expensive and redundant for what I want to achieve.

My brother kind of did the same thing but a bit older age. He pretty much worked out at the gym because as west said you need more equipment. He also did a lot of running, best way would be to join a half marathon or marathon running group. Also from what I can remember his basic routine consisted of 14 hour fasts. Then he would eat lots of protein like chicken and would eat green beans over four hours. And repeated this 5 days a week and he checked his calorie count. So typically the chicken he ate would just be a 1 course meal per day with green beans and eggplant would fulfill his calorie count, he had it easy because went to the same Thai restaurant everyday. I would say to cut out all sugars like candy out from 5 days a week. And on the weekend splurge to shock your body. His idea was eating a small mcflurry to eating the cheese off pizza (not the bread) on the weekends.

I know it seems odd but he did his research. I may have missed a few things but I can ask him if this sounds interesting. He got abs pretty much and it was pretty incredible given the short span of time for change.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 11, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 11, 2017 - No reason given

twerking helps out rite

You forgot to add (GONE SEXUAL)

Edited by Acid Rap
Posted · Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 11, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Teeny Tiny Cat, January 11, 2017 - No reason given

You are not going to bulk up just with these 2 machines, you will have to go to a real gym. I can definitely help you since im a gym instructor and make you a nice training programme and a diet plan. I have got 3 years of experience of creating such programmes and I GUARANTEE you that if you follow it strictly, there will be results after the first one to two months, depending on how strict with your meals are. Fitness is all about food. All the bodies you see, it's created all in the gym but don't expect to get ripped when eating burgers or just apples. It's like 80 % food / 20 % training. If you wanna chit chat about it , messege me here or in steam. 

sHLTLzi.jpg

THICCC ASS TWERKING LEGS FAM

You are not going to bulk up just with these 2 machines

Alright. Well, I do have 2 gyms within walking distance from here, I will definitely look into a membership since a lot of you guys seem to recommend that it would just be best with more machines.

I'm no expert, but I'm 6'1 and i managed to go from 65kg to 80kg most of which was muscle. When you're skinny, I found the most important thing is to stuff your face 24/7 with good food. Eggs, meat, oats, i ate a lot of suger free cereals as well. Although it was a bit more calculated than just 'stuffing my face' because I had calculated a calorie quota for each day which I would work to meet.

Personally, I never trained in a gym. I did a lot of calisthenics at a park near my house where there were bars and what not and later on, I also began to use adjustable dumbells at home. Pushups, pullups, and variations of said exercises were my bread and butter of any workout. I did a upper body/lower body split. Training each muscle group twice a week. Anybody who says you cant build muscle through calisthenics is talking trash although you will definitely struggle to have legs like the guy above.

I definitely am able to change my diet to fit things like this! My family does eat lots of good meat, and I can get the rest of the stuff for other meals. Its also good to know you were able to add some weight just using the workouts you did. If I were to try and just main at home and not go to the gym, Id be doing similar workouts. Ill look up some good calisthenics workouts

Fructose gets converted to fat faster than fat gets converted to fat. Simple sugars are the worst. I would worry less about things like eating pizza once a week and more about cutting out completely candy / sweets as snacks in the middle of the day.

Alright, ill definitely do this. Its gonna be a struggle, because me and my buddies like to walk across the street from school and buy candy and soda and junk a couple times a week, but I guess ill have to remove it or at least cut back on it! :^(

Im no professional and never followed any premade lessons or programs; the following is just my way of working out and stuff.

Also kinda food-related: I dont do protein shakes and whatnot. A lot of people adviced me to use them and Im sure they work, but to me it mainly seems expensive and redundant for what I want to achieve.

Wowza Foamy youve really outdone yourself! Besides our age difference, we seem to have very similar builds! I eat lots of junk I probably shouldnt eat and I never have put on weight from it (YET.. fear that I would in the future is part of whats inspiring me to start this.) Huge thanks for all the tips. I like that your schedule is sort of laid back, but still gets what you want done. Hopefully I am able to achieve something similar!

I know it seems odd but he did his research. I may have missed a few things but I can ask him if this sounds interesting. He got abs pretty much and it was pretty incredible given the short span of time for change.

Whew. Seems intense! A little more then what Id like to achieve, but Im glad he found what worked out :) I am not seeking instant results, just wanting to learn how to earn more of a body, then how to maintain that as I get into my 20s. Thank you though Apollo!

I have baby abs from going to gym so go to gym and eat lots of grapes

My school gives grapes every day, but they taste so sugary I doubt theyre too beneficial.. But thank you angel! x)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5dqu7oSq9z4hp7YXbQZ1Ew

This Channel has LOTS of work outs etc.

There is some type of Gym vs home thingys and home workouts, should help.. a bit? not sure.

Woah. This guys "2014 footage" body looks very similar to how I look right now. Ill definitely watch some of his videos! Thank you! Edit: just realized, I have watched this guy a few times. Thank you for reminding me about him!

Thank you to everyone who replied! I didnt think this would get so much attention, but im glad theres so many of you guys out there that are fit, and are willing to help out. Ive started planning more on my diet and have replaced school lunches and a lot of stuff with better foods from home. I think this time ill be able to accomplish this. Thank you guys!

My school gives grapes every day, but they taste so sugary I doubt theyre too beneficial.. But thank you angel! x)

Really?

http://www.sun-world.com/grapes-nutrition/health-benefits

I read something similar to this when I was 14,when I started exercising and eating healthy.I always bring grapes and cold water whenever I go out to the gym,I was a stick before and now I have a nice body >:3

Actually grapes have too much of a sugar content.

And yeah his routine was for like 3 months intenseness haha.

As a sweets fanatic cutting out the candy and other sugar contented stuff was hard. But that doesn't mean you can't cheat sometimes. It's just to be careful in proportion.

Really?

http://www.sun-world.com/grapes-nutrition/health-benefits

I read something similar to this when I was 14,when I started exercising and eating healthy.I always bring grapes and cold water whenever I go out to the gym,I was a stick before and now I have a nice body >:3

Depends if it's raw grapes vs. dried/juice, since the latter two sometimes have added sugar and dried grapes (like raisins) are more concentrated.

Depends if it's raw grapes vs. dried/juice, since the latter two sometimes have added sugar and dried grapes (like raisins) are more concentrated.

Well yeah theres that to account for too,(I eat raw).Also for the record im not saying just to eat grapes,just was a big thing I ate during my workout regime.

tjqpO.jpg

Inb4 this turns into a workout selfie page,but maybe showing you some results it will motivate you to work out.

In terms of working out, just do a healthy mix of regular lifts. You will need to go to a real gym, you won't get anywhere at home. Usually what I do is alternate between front and back squat for every other day. Then 3 or 4 of the following lifts (amount depends on how much you set as your max, try printing out a program) or something similar each day: Hang Clean, Snatch, Flat/Incline Bench, Goodmorning, Clean Pull, RDL, hexbar pull. I'm your age and I can tell you this works for me at least, however, from your height and weight you do have a below average BMI for someone your size so you might have a ways to go. But trust me, doing a program after establishing a max for each of the main lifts (This can take a month or two) is important, especially if you play intense sports such as football.

-HG

- snip - 

I agree with you Angelcake, grapes can be added to a diet plan BUT there's a really important thing to mention here.

First of all, grapes contain a huge amount of sugars (Glucose and fructose). The only time of the day I recommend you shall add grapes to your meal is A FEW MINUTES AFTER your workout. Your body lacks glycogen (a carb that forms in the liver and the muscles that is used as an energy source in the beginning of a workout that makes your muscles look bigger and bulky. When there is a lack of it, the body then turns to the energy and resolving of bodyfats.) after a solid workout. Now, depending on what your goals you can either cut weight or try to bulk up. Now, if u are bulking up, it's extremely important to recover the levels of glycogen in your muscles. this happens by eating food that straight up contains glucose (like grapes, raisins BUT without added sugars, bananas or straight up liquid glucose, I suppose in America you must have this in foodmarkets) Of course if you are cutting weight, now you'd better not have any carbs in your post-workout meals since this might recover the glycogen back and thus make reducing the levels of body fat a harder task. (You want to go straight up for the fatties on your belly, right?) That's like extremely simplified by me and Flaimbot, remember that I usually charge 20 bucks for such routine in the gym where I work and I'm willing to do it for free for you, since Im not able to coach you straight up during workouts. 

• 4 weeks later...

Improving your physique in the long run can require quite a bit of tuning and refining of your fitness regime. As a beginner it'll be much easier and simpler to focus on getting the "main points" of fitness right first.

In terms of nutrition:

-Stay away from junk foods, can’t stress this enough. Sure you can start off by cutting out the majority​ of junk foods you usually consume, but if you want to get serious and make great gains you'll have to cut them out of your life completely. Sounds hard, especially when starting out, but it's worth it, trust me

-Drink plenty of water throughout the day; your piss is a good indicator of how hydrated you are

-Try to prepare your own food; this way, you know exactly what is in your food

-Pick roasted, baked, grilled, broiled, and steamed foods over fried/stir-fried foods; you can easily avoid unwanted calories from cooking oil, fats, etc...

-Don't fall for bullshit supplements, and don't rely on good supplements to fix your nutrition either; not all supplements are created equal, i.e. different sources of protein, proprietary blends, etc..., and you should definitely watch out for the ones with flashy advertising as "ULTRA-MEGA-GETBIGGERTHANARNOLD-MASSGAINERS" because they're usually just normal proteins. If you want to use supplements I recommend going for bulk-bought, plain packaging supplements because these are usually the best (myprotein is a good place for this). You shouldn't rely on these supplements, however, because theyre just supplements​ at the end of the day. Theyre not meant to make up for a crappy diet or poor effort in the gym

-Have a balanced diet; don’t overdo one part of your diet, otherwise you could be lacking in certain nutrients. A good rule of thumb is to shoot for about 40% of your plate being protein. Another 40% should be fibrous carbs (which are basically veggies and fruits!). The remaining 20% can be the carb of your choosing

In terms of actually working out;
it really depends on what works for you. There are some programs that are targeted at beginners such as yourself, like StartingStrength. They are particularly good for building up all-round strength and making the best use of your beginner gains, and also getting you familiarized with and better in the fundamental lifts like squats and benchpress. Try pick a program that uses compound​ exercises instead of isolation exercises, i.e. exercises that use several muscles as opposed to one, e.g. Chinups (back + biceps) vs barbell curls (biceps). This way you recruit more muscles to make more gains :) also try to stay away from machines. Most of them are isolation exercises anyway, and they often neglect stabilizer muscle​s, ​like those in the core.

In terms of improving your knowledge in fitness outside of the gym:

This is probably one of the only legit, completely bro-science free channels on youtube that provides GREAT videos on form fixes, nutrition advice, free workouts etc... Although some of his titles can be click-baity, they definitely do deliver on the content they promise- I can't recommend it enough, especially for a beginner ; https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24
There are quite a few other good channels on youtube as well, like VitruvianPhysique, Omarisuf, but youll need to develop a bullshit filter to... filter out the bullshit :)

Good luck bro, I just turned 17 myself but over the last 1.5 years of on and off working out + some injuries and periods of extended sickness, exams, I've gained somewhere between 10kg-15kg of pure muscle, so I now weigh 70kg at 180cm or 5'11"(?). You'll definitely get better results if you work hard, stay on the motivation train and ​find out what works for you.