Backpack.tf Secret Santa [Now Escrow Free]

Pilobacon

I'm sure I'll get blamed for this for at some point down the line, so I'll post this here now just as a footnote. I was just removed from the event for asking if I could deliver my gift to my person directly (due to the fact that my gift was a Steam game and I wanted the person to know who got them the gift, as I explained to the ringmaster of the event). Different reasons were given to me for my abrupt departure from the event and I am sure these reasons will be reinstated upon request, but I have screenshots to prove that these accusations are not true. I personally do not know how the event will now run with an odd number of people, but in the spirit of Christmas, I have given the gift to the person I was assigned anyways today as an early Christmas present. I don't know where the gift I was supposed to get will end up but I sincerely hope whomever is the recipient will enjoy it, as it seems I was on the naughty list this year. 

Merry Christmas, Blessed Thanksgiving, Happy Holidays, etc. etc.,

HarryG

Ha! This reminds me that I never got my gift last year and its still stuck in the bot. Who was in charge of that one?

Seems like I'm late for this year. Damn, please let me know if you decide to accept late registrations. I'd like to participate if that's ok.

Ha! This reminds me that I never got my gift last year and its still stuck in the bot. Who was in charge of that one?

Seems like I'm late for this year. Damn, please let me know if you decide to accept late registrations. I'd like to participate if that's ok.

I was kicked out for asking questions; I doubt they'll accept late people if they run that tight of a ship.

Since a few newcomers are still trying to sign up I've decided to add them to the event. I'll be pairing them with each other so this won't affect anyone who's already been assigned. If you want to be in this second pool let me know now. After this is done though signups will closed for good.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this is going well! Sorry I couldn't host it this year, I've lost a lot of interest in TF2 and trading in general. College has also been taking up a lot of time as well. Thanks for covering for me!

• Administrators

oh fuck, i forgot about this completely.

edit: i don't have time to do this, sorry, i've been so busy and i completely forgot. unless i can just give my dude keys or something? i dont want him to have nothing but i don't have time to get a proper gift. i suck. :(

My gift was received by BlaqkAudio on 12/14/2016

Sorry man but you were supposed to send it to the alt, I'm not mad but I'd urge you to adhere to this rule in the future.

NEVERMIND DONE AND DELIVERED :)

Good to hear, sorry for the late response.

Sorry man but you were supposed to send it to the alt, I'm not mad but I'd urge you to adhere to this rule in the future.

I gave him his gift and he was very happy and appreciative. I don't want to add some random account nor do I even celebrate christmas. Perhaps the event should be based on trust instead of some stupid 3rd party that makes people wait until some holiday they might not even believe in. If I were to participate in the future, I would do nothing differently

• Like 2

The following users have yet to send in a gift and have not contacted me about their gift yet.

TheMCBros99
N!K
thecityburns2day

If you're one of these users please send your gift in ASAP, thanks!

Edited by Pilobacon
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The following users have yet to send in a gift and have not contacted me about their gift yet.

I replied in this thread over a week ago, did you not read it? Tell me what you want me to do, though won't be able to respond until tomorrow.

I replied in this thread over a week ago, did you not read it? Tell me what you want me to do, though won't be able to respond until tomorrow.

I missed your post entirely, sorry about that. Yeah I'd be fine if you just gave the guy keys or something, thanks for calling that to my attention.

• Like 2

I thought escrow free meant I didn't have to give it to a third party. Now I see that maybe you meant steam escrow... right?

Either way, I already handed the gift to cityburns2day last week on the 14th. This was all just a misunderstanding. 

many of you dont seem to understand what secret santa is.

Straight up. Every secret santa i've participated in you deliver the gifts yourself. I've done them every single year since I was like 10. This includes the NUMEROUS internet secret santas... Reddit has you send gifts yourself. r/tf2trade had me add my person and give them gifts, the csgotrade reddit  was the same when they did it years ago. KoL, RS, etc. all run the exact same way. If you want yourself to be a secret then you have a friend give your gift to the guy on your behalf. This is the only community I have ever seen which uses a horrendous 3rd party system. I'd say the system is outdated but that would imply there was ever a time in which using a 3rd party was the optimal way to run a Secret Santa.

If you think this is the way most secret santas are run, you'd better participate in more holiday exchanges because you're in for a surprise.

• Administrators

secret santa irl is everyone wraps a gift and gives it in with the person it's for written on, and nobody knows who their gift is from. that's why it's called SECRET santa. o_O

• Like 2

My main quarrel with this is the fact that the person with no prior experience or reputation for this sort of event is the same person who expects everybody to give him the items first and doesn't give any sort of leeway/understanding to the fact that that sounds really really sketchy if you think about it for a little bit 

secret santa irl is everyone wraps a gift and gives it in with the person it's for written on, and nobody knows who their gift is from. that's why it's called SECRET santa. o_O

Actually the way most secret santas are done through one of the following ways 

1) You hide your gift somewhere in a place your person will easily find it. (you distribute it yourself)

2) You all gather as a family/friends in the same place and everyone trades gifts, etc.

3) You all gather as friends/family in the same place and then either one person or numerous people call someone up to open their gift and then everyone laughs as they guess who gave them their gift incorrectly.

#3 is impossible on the internet as we aren't all on the same time. As such, every single internet secret santa I've seen... every single secret santa I've participated (well over 10 now as I do them yearly and sometimes numerous at the same time + summer santa events, etc.) has you distribute your own gift. There are a number of steam communities that had it this way and even threatened giving SR scammer/caution tags to individuals who were reported as not having given a gift. 

OTHER obvious Reasons 3rd party sucks for these events

1) Not everyone celebrates christmas, why would I want my gift on christmas, as such.

2) who the heck is OP? I have never heard of him, for all I know he could be a straight up scammer

3) One account has all the items implies everyone can see the gifts and figure out (probably pretty easily) what they are going to be receiving. So much for surprise

I can keep going. This is a pointless conversation that isn't even worth my time because proponents of this 3rd party method are so vastly wrong. It's not even close, lmao.