Will I get in trouble for doing this?

HarryG

Issue Closed: The owner of the item agreed to pay me 2 keys instead of .6 as an inconvenience fee for being late, and I will be swapping him the unusual for the keys as soon as possible. Locking.

I don't see why you would want to keep the items, you'd be in a much shakier situation if you did that. It's not like he's asking a couple years later, it's a few days over your 1 week limit, and he had stated he would not be able to access steam for a bit. 

• Like 2

Well, yeah.. "Technically" you have a right to keep it, but...

Think about it, is this the "reputation" or "customer response" you want to have? I mean, such things(being unable to access Steam for an extra week) and all always pop up... As a broker, shouldn't you be a bit more considerate? Especially since your main source of clients is through word of mouth? 

Obviously I'm not an admin,  but...

He gave you warning about being offline before you sold it.

The fact that you're even asking the question is shitty.

• Like 2

I don't see why you would want to keep the items, you'd be in a much shakier situation if you did that. It's not like he's asking a couple years later, it's a few days over your 1 week limit, and he had stated he would not be able to access steam for a bit. 

Obviously I'm not an admin,  but...

He gave you warning about being offline before you sold it (or at least, before you told him you sold it.)

The fact that you're even asking the question is shitty.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do, I don't think it's shitty to ask. He did say he would be offline for a certain period but he did give an amount of time (1 week) and this is far beyond that 1 week point. Cashew, by shaky situation do you mean that backpack.tf would ban for this, or are you just arbitrarily saying it?

i am the guy, i was in vancouver for 10 days, 3 days more than a week

, and im pretty upset, and expected more from a broker, plus where is proof i agreed on that price? i told him i was going to be offline and the fact he would do this is pretty shitty

• Like 1

I'm just trying to figure out what to do, I don't think it's shitty to ask. He did say he would be offline for a certain period but he did give an amount of time (1 week) and this is far beyond that 1 week point.

What to do?? Give him his hat. Charge him a key instead of .6 for the extra time, if you feel him giving you warning that he'd be offline wasn't enough. Because, really. It was 3 extra days, that's not "far beyond" anything. And it cost you zero to let the hat sit in your inventory for that long. The fact that you would even consider trying to keep it based on a technicality, when you weren't inconvenienced at all, makes you my nominee for Scumbag of the Year. And I don't mean that as an insult, just as a fact. Don't be that guy.

• Like 1

While he did technically break your agreement, it's a super mega dick move to keep the item. Even if he didn't follow your brokering guidelines properly, he did give a notice that he'll be gone for a week. You should at least consider his situation.

• Like 2

So let me get this straight. You were brokering a hat, and your client said he'd be out of town for a week on 25 August (implying he'd return on 1 September). Your client didn't respond to you until 5 September, 4 days after the projected return date (1 September) when he said he'd be back. Because the client didn't contact you within a satisfactory timeframe (1 week from sale), but is reaching out to you now that he's back from a prior-documented leave of absence, you want to void the agreement and keep all proceeds from his hat? Do you oversee Comcast's billing department for a living or something?

Generally speaking, if you're brokering something then in order to keep it you'd have to have pretty solid documentation of not only the client's disappearance, but also your attempts to repay them in your defense. You made a prior agreement, saying that his stuff was void if he was gone for a week. Unless I'm missing something, he told you in advance that he was heading out of town, and also to not sell unless for something "sexy". His declaration of absence, to me at least, would qualify as an amendment to your agreement - if you didn't agree with that adjustment, you should have returned his hat right then and there, or if not returning outright, then at least not sell until he returned. None of those "if it sells while you're gone I keep everything" traps, where you try to hurry up and sell while you know he's gone so you can declare your Catch 22. I don't know if I can give a 100% firm answer whether you'd get marked, but I don't think the tagging admin would look favorably on your actions, or even what you're saying here. He certainly has grounds to make a report on SteamRep for it, assuming he has proper documentation.

If he were completely missing in action, unannounced, and you tried to return the hat, that would be a different story. But considering he even told you he was leaving and you proceeded to sell while he was gone, I don't think you can hold that against him. I'll make sure whatever report admin ends up making a decision, if your client makes a report, sees a copy of this thread. You know... since reputation and pending bans are clearly all you care about, and not honest and ethical trading.