Add spell prices onto items

Hi5TBone

Except no one pays for spells, like, ever

Except there are multiple threads of people paying extra for spells, like, multiple.

• Like 1

I (sometimes) pay extra for spells (that I want) and have sold spelled items for extra too.

That being said, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Spell prices are inconsistent as hell and multiple applied spells don't exist in a 1:1 relationship with their tools so price of some applied spells can't be tied to a single tool.

• Like 4

No one pays for parts either but they add price

Wrong, I sold a strange Big Earner for 1 key because of parts. If you are trading 1:1 (an item for an item) no one pays for part due to they have to resell the item later, but if you sell items w part, people will pay for them (of course depends on if the parts are good)

Adding spells price will just raise the number of "hey I know this is 1 ref hat but it got 20 keys speelz on it can I have your 20 keys unusual" offer, which in most cases translated as an insult to the other party's intelligence

Applied spells do add price in some instances, but I don't see a realistic way to add an accurate price for them.

The actual problem with this is that applied spells would have to be priced, and that would be a hell of a job, because spells would almost certainly have different values on different items, not to mention multiple spell combos, not to even mention spells + strange part combos, wherein you can't tell what's adding value. It's just too damn complicated.

And no, you couldn't use something based on the value of unapplied spells, because those no longer exist. The prices that currently exist absolutely must be ignored as they are not only for an item that no longer exists, but are also FUBAR because of people hoarding the leftover spells and price-jacking after valve tried to remove them all--an issue that never applied to applied spells, if you'll pardon the pun.

Pumpkin bombs on wrenches tend to sell well for me, sold an aussie wrench with it for 30 in mostly pure while wrenches were 24

people who says no one pay for spells, have you ever even tried?!

i sold many spelled items before, and even recently was selling maxs heads with spells (footprints of course) for 40-50 keys depending on the footprint, and that was while max was still worth 29-30 keys

same to spells on weapons, they sure make some difference, i had a pro ks ausie rocket with pumpkins and exorcism, and yeah i was charging for it ( had a buyer that would pay around 10-15 keys extra comparing to others pro ks ausie rockets in pure but i got an extreme overpay i couldnt refuse)

but it all depend on what you have and which spells you got, certainly you can make some extra on it

unless you paid for the spell, dont expect to profit like that on it...

ITT: People value spells at different prices.

This is why they don't have one on backpack.tf. Better to have no price at all than one people disagree on.

how does one determine price on a spell when they cant be sold nor traded ?? i know some doofus spent 20 keys on a spell last year when they were tradeable but i highly doubt that would be the case now.

I think there should be a little warning on the items like with low levels that says "this item has spells and may be worth more" or something like that. Most of the time people wont pay extra for spells, but I and others have paid a bit extra for spells in the past.

• Like 3

Wrong, I sold a strange Big Earner for 1 key because of parts. If you are trading 1:1 (an item for an item) no one pays for part due to they have to resell the item later, but if you sell items w part, people will pay for them (of course depends on if the parts are good)

Adding spells price will just raise the number of "hey I know this is 1 ref hat but it got 20 keys speelz on it can I have your 20 keys unusual" offer, which in most cases translated as an insult to the other party's intelligence

I never said they had to be priced like that. To be honest the only spells that get sold are footprints and in a range of 1-3 keys. No one's going to pay 20 keys for a cosmetic with a stupid footprint because for that price you get an unusual.

I never said they had to be priced like that. To be honest the only spells that get sold are footprints and in a range of 1-3 keys. No one's going to pay 20 keys for a cosmetic with a stupid footprint because for that price you get an unusual.

thats your opnion and some people do pay more then that..

i sold many bmoc bills hats with decent footprints for 8-15 keys in the past even got unusuals for stuff like that

again, depends on what you have and which spell the item got...

• 1 year later...
On 29/06/2016 at 1:04 PM, Weedoof said:

ITT: People value spells at different prices.

This is why they don't have one on backpack.tf. Better to have no price at all than one people disagree on.

This.

Case closed, this is the solved thing.

15 hours ago, Walter said:

I bought a max's severed head with headless horseshoes footprint for 40 keys. (price was 19 at the time)

I always pay for spells :P

??? What?!

On 6/28/2016 at 5:55 PM, ♥Prof. Sugarcube♥ said:

"no one pays for spells"

I can't begin to tell you how laughable that statement is.

3 hours ago, Alen said:

"no one pays for spells"

I can't begin to tell you how laughable that statement is.

The post you're responding to is really old. To put this into perspective:

Back before spells were discontinued:

They added about as much value as paint/parts did (after being applied) since you could still buy a spell and apply it yourself.

The unapplied dye paints were ~1 key and unapplied footprints 1-10 keys depending on which one. (most were less than 3 keys, but headless horseshoes and rotten orange were usually 5-10)

Unapplied exorcism/voices were ~0.5 keys, and the unapplied gourd grenade/rocket spells were 1-3 keys.

This thread was created just a few months after spells became fully untradable. Nobody knew the future of spells, or if Valve was going to reintroduce them as a halloween drop or not.

At the time many people didn't pay extra for applied spells.

Nowadays, if you want a spelled item, yes: you'll have to pay extra for it (except with unusuals, a lot of the time people won't pay extra for spells, it just makes it easier to sell,) since you can't apply the spells yourself anymore.

Edit: clarified applied/unapplied more clearly

----

On topic:

I don't believe applied spells should give any value to an item on backpack.tf because that value would be impossible to calculate.

We can't do X% of spell price, because unapplied spells can no longer be traded and have an extremely outdated price. (I think unapplied spell prices may have been wiped as well)

Another factor is rarity. On some items (jacket/shoe miscs for example) these with spells are extremely rare, and may provide more value than the same spell on, lets say, a vintage hat. (You can wear your spelled jacket with your unspelled unusual and still get footprints, whereas with the spell on a vintage hat, you can't swap it for an unusual)

Adding an artificial value to items with applied spells would be inaccurate, which would defeat the purpose of having them apply value.

The only alternative that I could see maybe working is: Individually priced "spelled items" per item/effect, similar to unusual pricing.

Ex:

g83pME.png

However, this would be extremely messy, and I predict that prices would become insanely outdated due to low amounts of supply and sales. Plus you'd have the issue of multiple spell combinations. (You'd price a rotten footprints bill differently than a rotten footprint + voices from below bills. You'd price a Rotten orange + die job bills differently from a rotten footprint + spectral spectrum bills)

Never mind the fact the premium search STILL doesn't include spells, which would make suggesting for these items very hard.

I'm also assuming this would require a lot of backend work that the devs would not be willing to do. (I've been asking for a h'ween spell filter on premium search for over a year, no response.)

1 hour ago, Apo said:

Buying the dye paints were ~1 key and footprints 1-10 keys depending on which one.

So what you're saying is they had an actual price back then. That's just proving my point.

55 minutes ago, Alen said:

So what you're saying is they had an actual price back then. That's just proving my point.

2 hours ago, Apo said:

At the time many people didn't pay extra for spells.

How did you get this from what I said? Let me clarify: Those were the prices for unapplied spells. At the time many people didn't pay extra for applied spells.

Yes, the unapplied spells had value themselves (much like unapplied strange parts/paint) but would not add much value at all when applied. (much like applied strange parts/paint.)

The value of an applied spell back then was miniscule compared to the value of applied spells today.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong, in fact spells DID add value, even if it was miniscule.

I'm just providing you the context in which the comment was made. An age where spells added little to no value to an item.

If, now, with the current situation of applied spells, the same comment were to be made "Except no one pays for spells, like, ever" It would be completely ridiculous.

But the time when this comment was made, an applied spell usually added slim-to-0 value to an item it was applied to. (plus trying to get more just from the spell was very hard) When this comment was made, the statement was not "laughable." It was basically true. (Back then applied spells added little value, and was very hard to get value from the applied spell when reselling)

Again, I'm not telling you that you're wrong or anything of the sort. I'm providing you the context in which this comment was made.

Yes, nowadays applied spells add a good chunk of value (plus way more people are interested in buying spelled items now.)

If he were to make that statement today, you're right, it would definitely be laughable. Back then? Not so much.

8 hours ago, Apo said:

How did you get this from what I said? Let me clarify: Those were the prices for unapplied spells. At the time many people didn't pay extra for applied spells.

Yes, the unapplied spells had value themselves (much like unapplied strange parts/paint) but would not add much value at all when applied. (much like applied strange parts/paint.)

The value of an applied spell back then was miniscule compared to the value of applied spells today.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong, in fact spells DID add value, even if it was miniscule.

I'm just providing you the context in which the comment was made. An age where spells added little to no value to an item.

If, now, with the current situation of applied spells, the same comment were to be made "Except no one pays for spells, like, ever" It would be completely ridiculous.

But the time when this comment was made, an applied spell usually added slim-to-0 value to an item it was applied to. (plus trying to get more just from the spell was very hard) When this comment was made, the statement was not "laughable." It was basically true. (Back then applied spells added little value, and was very hard to get value from the applied spell when reselling)

Again, I'm not telling you that you're wrong or anything of the sort. I'm providing you the context in which this comment was made.

Yes, nowadays applied spells add a good chunk of value (plus way more people are interested in buying spelled items now.)

If he were to make that statement today, you're right, it would definitely be laughable. Back then? Not so much.

Eh, you got a point there. The thing that bothers me is that he says nobody pays for spells, and that's definitely a very stupid claim in my eyes.