What does the future hold for Disney?

HarryG

So recently I took a look at some of Disney's upcoming projects, and I was astounded by how horrible some of these ideas are.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films  In "Future Releases")

I know it isn't exactly fair to judge a movie before we know more about it, but it does seem like the quality, or at the very least the originality, is sinking to an all-time low for Disney. Some of the worst in here include Tim Burton's Dumbo, live-action remakes of Winnie the Pooh, Mulan, and Aladdin, a live action Chip 'n Dale movie (Alvin and the Chipmunks, anyone?), another Haunted Mansion movie (anyone who has seen the one with Eddie Murphy knows why this is a bad thing), Jungle Cruise the movie: starring Dwayne Johnson, and quite possibly worst of all, "It's a Small World, the Movie". As for animation we have Toy Story 4 (Toy Story 3 seemed to be the end of the series, especially given the way Disney went about it), Cars 3 (More of Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy in the same movie can never be good), and Frozen 2 (with a rumor of a lesbian subplot for the previous films character, Elsa). Save one or two films (Moana and Coco, based on South Pacific culture and Day of the Dead respectively), there isnt much originality at all here. It just seems like appealing to the masses based on the success of films like the recent Jungle Book remake, as well as the popularity of some of the older animated films. 

While there isn't much in the way of competition for Disney when it comes to animation (especially the way Dreamworks has been going recently), there is obviously heavy competition in the live-action department, meaning that it only takes one large bomb of a live-action film to set a trend for the ones following. Additionally, if Disney's animated sequels start to fail early (Finding Dory this weekend will be a very good way to set the tone), it will only push back the ones already in the works. This also rings true for the original material. What I'm trying to say is, if Disney starts to show that they cannot produce quality animation like they could in the past (Referring specifically to the time period where Disney could rapid-fire great movies year after year, releasing The Little Mermaid, then Beauty and the Beast, then Aladdin, then The Lion King, etc.), then it does mean that they could potentially be overtaken by other studios.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. What do you guys think the future holds for Disney? What do you think of some of these projects currently being worked on? And do you think Disney will eventually be overtaken as the best animation studio?

They could make dark and twisted fairy tales children's movies again.

I think the problem that Disney has with doing this is that the audience they usually try to appeal to objects to this so often. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a prime example of a box office flop with darker aspects. Disney didn't like the huge loss, so immediately recoiled from the concept and released Hercules (obviously a lot more suited for kids with a light-hearted tone) the next year. 

It would be a good idea for Disney to make something like Hunchback again, but market it heavily towards teens/adults so that they don't lose huge at the box office (Hunchback was advertised as a kid's film; no special advertisement revealing the darker undertones was done).

Original movies < movies based on books

There aren't many movies Disney has that aren't based on some other source before it; I believe I saw a source that said around 90 percent of their movies aren't completely original. 

theyre in a lot of trouble. childhood remakes will only last so long before people want new shit. and in this day in age, theyre going to start getting a lot of competition 

Archived