[Guide] How to get your shared secret from iOS device (Steam Mobile)

Brad Pitt

1. You need a software that will allow you to browse your backup files. I used iExplorer (Mac & PC)
  2. Open iExplorer, and browse your iTunes backup. You can type "Steam" in the search bar which makes it easier to find. You need to browse it in your backup folder, you won't be able to access app data in the live app. It looks like this: 76ca20858c.png
  3. Once you export it, you can open it up using an app like TextWrangler on OSX (Not sure what to use on PC, don't have a PC right now - if someone with a PC fiddles with it, post here what you're using to open the file)
  4. The file will contain your shared_secret, secret_1, identity_secret, revocation_code, etc. This is the information you will need to use backpack.tf-automatic in combination to Steam Mobile if you wish to use both.

If you cannot open that file using TextWrangler on OSX or can't figure out which line is what, you can use a little script I created using node, which you can find here.

You can also run the built-in plutil command in OSX to extract the contents of the file. Put the file on your desktop and open a terminal window.

Type:

cd ~/Desktop
plutil -p Steamguard-STEAMID

This will display everything you need. This should also work (minus the cd command) on Windows if you have iTunes installed.

How would I go about using these codes once I have them?

Probably Notepad++ can open the files.

Tried it. Gave a bunch of garbage text. There were some legible words like "secret," but it's hard to make anything out.

If you are running Android, you can find your keys stashed in /data/data/com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community. You'll need rooted device or ADB to access the file that stores the keys.

I'm on Windows and I'm having trouble trying to open the file. Notepad++ isn't helping; it gives me a bunch of garbage letters with barely legible text. Could anyone find a Windows software that can properly open the iOS file?

I made an account just to reply to this. Notepad++ doesnt display garbage, it displays it in a different format. If you look at the structure, it kind of displays like columns. 

shared_secret -> steamid -> revocation_code -> serial_number  -> token_gid_identity_secret -> secret_1

?* -> steamid ->  your rev code -> your acc serial number -> your identy_secret -> your secret_1

* not really sure, since sometimes they are out of order, but it should be before the identity secret

I made an account just to reply to this. Notepad++ doesnt display garbage, it displays it in a different format. If you look at the structure, it kind of displays like columns. 

shared_secret -> steamid -> revocation_code -> serial_number  -> token_gid_identity_secret -> secret_1

?* -> steamid ->  your rev code -> your acc serial number -> your identy_secret -> your secret_1

* not really sure, since sometimes they are out of order, but it should be before the identity secret

actually, it does not display the identity_secret thing. i searched the file taken from iphone and opened with notepad++ with the identity key i found in trade.tf's DSA. can't match it, so i'm assuming it's still same how encrypted. the only variable matching both files is revocation_code

actually, it does not display the identity_secret thing. i searched the file taken from iphone and opened with notepad++ with the identity key i found in trade.tf's DSA. can't match it, so i'm assuming it's still same how encrypted. the only variable matching both files is revocation_code

Scrap.tf's DSA you mean? Each "Device" has their own set of keys, so they will never match.

Scrap.tf's DSA you mean? Each "Device" has their own set of keys, so they will never match.

pfff...my bad.

hopefully, this will help

5IDfO85.png

top side is the file retried from iphone's backup - opened with notepad++ and the other one is the same file - textwrangler on osx.

The easiest way to find secret_identity is to locate revocation code and to move backwards from there.

In my case, these are linked and there's only a single letter that does not belong:

_AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXA12345_ - where AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is the secret thing, X is the separator and A12345 is the revocation code

The need to hide all the data from the file makes things a lot harder to explain, but still, i hope this helps.

pfff...my bad.

hopefully, this will help

top side is the file retried from iphone's backup - opened with notepad++ and the other one is the same file - textwrangler on osx.

The easiest way to find secret_identity is to locate revocation code and to move backwards from there.

In my case, these are linked and there's only a single letter that does not belong:

_AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXA12345_ - where AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is the secret thing, X is the separator and A12345 is the revocation code

The need to hide all the data from the file makes things a lot harder to explain, but still, i hope this helps.

Ok so notepad++ doesn't decode the bplist file correctly, each field is seperated properly when you use a viewer that works correctly. 

Maybe this will help: 

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Converting_Binary_Plists

• 3 weeks later...

So guys, I found the solution for the people on Windows. I will briefly cover this since it took a lot of thinking for me as well. So lets start!

Things you need:

iTunes, iExplorer and Windows and of course backpack.tf automatic (if you want to use it for that)

Method:

Follow the method described by Brad Pitt until you come to opening the file. Instead of doing that you copy or move your file to your desktop.

In the mean time you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support               (At least, that is the path for me)

Copy the following files to your desktop as well: asl.dll, CFNetwork.dll, CoreFoundation.dll, Foundation.dll, icudt46.dll, libdispatch.dll, libicuin.dll, libicuuc.dll, libtidy.dll, libxml2.dll, objc.dll, ptheadVC2.dll, SQLite3.dll and zlib.dll along with plutil.exe.  (SOME files, in my case had icudt55.dll instead of icudt.dll, this is possible and it will still work same for zlib1.dll instead of zlib.dll)

When you copied them all to your desktop, hold SHIFT and then right click onto open space on your DESKTOP. Click on Open Command Prompt here. Then run the following command by just copying the following and pasting it in the Command Prompt (In my case by just right-clicking onto the Command Prompt window).

Command:

PLEASE NOTE:

Change the word "STEAMID" to the numbers in the name of the file you exported from your backup. DON'T FORGET to leave the '-' in the command.

Here is where it gets tricky, scroll down until you get a list like thisUKLH1Wg.png

Of course, there aren't white lines but lines of numbers. As you can see, identity_secret is the 3rd (for ME at least) value from the top (DON'T use 4!)

Again, the white lines are NUMBERS and LETTERS. In my case, identity_secret was the 3rd value so I count from the top of the lines with numbers until I get to line 3. In this picture, it is line 16.

That is your identity_secret. If you want to use it for backpack.tf automatic, then launch backpack.tf automatic and when it is loaded type:

identity_secret "THE NUMBER YOU JUST COPIED FROM THE COMMAND LINE"       in the command prompt and then hit enter. It saved your identity_secret and from now on it will automatically confirm all your confirmations. 

PLEASE NOTE:

It confirms ALL your confirmations, even trades NOT made by the bot!

It does take some time before the trade is confirmed, give or take 15 seconds for each confirmation.

I hope I helped a bunch of you! Happy new year c:

So guys, I found the solution for the people on Windows. I will briefly cover this since it took a lot of thinking for me as well. So lets start!

Things you need:

iTunes, iExplorer and Windows and of course backpack.tf automatic (if you want to use it for that)

Method:

Follow the method described by Brad Pitt until you come to opening the file. Instead of doing that you copy or move your file to your desktop.

In the mean time you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support               (At least, that is the path for me)

Copy the following files to your desktop as well: asl.dll, CFNetwork.dll, CoreFoundation.dll, Foundation.dll, icudt46.dll, libdispatch.dll, libicuin.dll, libicuuc.dll, libtidy.dll, libxml2.dll, objc.dll, ptheadVC2.dll, SQLite3.dll and zlib.dll along with plutil.exe.  (SOME files, in my case had icudt55.dll instead of icudt.dll, this is possible and it will still work same for zlib1.dll instead of zlib.dll)

When you copied them all to your desktop, hold SHIFT and then right click onto open space on your DESKTOP. Click on Open Command Prompt here. Then run the following command by just copying the following and pasting it in the Command Prompt (In my case by just right-clicking onto the Command Prompt window).

Command:

PLEASE NOTE:

Change the word "STEAMID" to the numbers in the name of the file you exported from your backup. DON'T FORGET to leave the '-' in the command.

Here is where it gets tricky, scroll down until you get a list like thisUKLH1Wg.png

Of course, there aren't white lines but lines of numbers. As you can see, identity_secret is the 3rd (for ME at least) value from the top (DON'T use 4!)

Again, the white lines are NUMBERS and LETTERS. In my case, identity_secret was the 3rd value so I count from the top of the lines with numbers until I get to line 3. In this picture, it is line 16.

That is your identity_secret. If you want to use it for backpack.tf automatic, then launch backpack.tf automatic and when it is loaded type:

identity_secret "THE NUMBER YOU JUST COPIED FROM THE COMMAND LINE"       in the command prompt and then hit enter. It saved your identity_secret and from now on it will automatically confirm all your confirmations. 

PLEASE NOTE:

It confirms ALL your confirmations, even trades NOT made by the bot!

It does take some time before the trade is confirmed, give or take 15 seconds for each confirmation.

I hoped a bunch of you! Happy new year 

helped me a lot   thanks!

Did you have to un-hide the library folder to do this? If so It might be worth mentioning that in the main post for anyone who has never done it before, mac still hides library by default :/

Archived