Guide to Paypal Trading

AwesomeMcCoolName

Guide to Paypal Trading, and how to NEVER get scammed.

1) Things to Look For

• A Rep Thread
    • Rep threads show a glimpse into a trader's past and can be helpful in determining the likelihood of a chargeback occurring. 
    • Valid forms of Rep: TF2-Trader, ManncoTrading, SteamTrades, Dota2Traders, Skial, BPTF-Trust, etc... 
    • Profile Rep means nothing, ignore it. 
  • Account Value 
    • Number of games, hours in TF2/D2/CSGO, age of the account
      • Someone with a large number of games and an old account with a lot of hours in-game is less likely to be a scammer.
    • BP value history -- is there a sudden spike? or a gradual increase over months time? or little change at all? (Keep in mind, a lot of key buyers are game flippers -- so their bp's worth comes from steam games).

2) Things to Look Out For

• Deals that are too good to be true
    • If a deal is too good then the buyer is probably trying to take advantage of your greed.
  • Someone in a rush
    • Someone trying to rush things is looking to catch you off guard, so just walk away.
  • Someone who refuses to use a middleman
    • Someone who isn't willing to use a SteamRep mm (no matter the excuse) isn't worth the trouble. 
  • ​Chargebacks 
    • ​Usually occur within one week, however they can occur for up to six months after the trade. 
    • It's advisable to NOT spend the money until after the chargeback window has passed. 
    • If a chargeback does occur there is VERY little chance you'll be able to successfully dispute it -- so you want to take every possible precaution to prevent one from occurring in the first place. 
    • You can be chargedback no matter how the payment was sent (moneypak is the ONLY way to be 100% sure -- see below)
  • Alt Accounts
    • No Reputable trader will ask you to do the trade via an alt, so if they ask you to go through their alt, just say no, and move along. (Note: they might store items on that account, and give the items through it)
  • False Links
    • Make sure the link they sent you is actually them and not someone else. 
    • Get their profile URL YOURSELF, and use it to get their SteamRep profile yourself.
    • Make sure any identifiers in a rep-thread match his profile
  • Phishing Links
    • Read over the link CAREFULLY. Make sure there aren't any misplaced/added/missing characters. 
    • Make sure the links are real. A good way to check, find the website via Google and login; if you're still logged in when you click the link provided, it's real.
    • NEVER download or open any link that ends in .Rar 
    • Be wary of any shortened links (i.e. anything like: goo.gl/etEfsadgsfd)
  • Hijacked Items
    • Check the history of an item you buy to make sure it hasn't been hijacked. It will likely be removed from your backpack and you may get trade banned. Hijacked items are usually quick sold very cheap--so be wary of "deals that are too good to be true".
    • Check the backpack.tf value graph and look for any dramatic changes within the past few days, it could just be someone cashing out/buying items, but theres also a possibility its a scammer, just be cautious. 
  • Fake/Untrustworthy Middlemen
    • Middleman interjection
      • A fake middleman invites you to trade and pretends to be the real middleman you were just talking to. 
      • Always do the trade through steams "invite to trade" since it forces the person to be on your friends list. 
      • Verify with the middleman that you're in a trade with him.
    • Random middleman
      • ONLY use people you can trust. (SR middleman/Community Admins/etc..)
    • Impersonation
      • Use of a secondary account to impersonate a trusted trader.
      • Double-check the profile and SR of BOTH the middleman in chat, AND the place you found the middleman (ex: SR Middleman list)
    • A side note about middlemen, most request that you trade them, they usually don't trade you. 

3) Going through with the trade 

• Be explicit
    • ​Clearly state the items and cash involved as well as clearly detailed terms of the trade. (e.g. "$21 USD sent as friends and family, you pay any fees, and your pp account must be verified for my 1 Earbud." 
  • Take things slow 
    • Don't let him rush you along. Make sure have everything you need -- if you're the seller, then make sure you have the money in your paypal account and can see the transaction details before completing the trade. 
  • Take (and SAVE) screenshots of everything 
    • It's very important that you take screenshots of everything as well as take down all of the other person's important information. (SteamRep identifiers, rep-thread/s, details of the trade, transaction ID of the paypal trade, etc...) 
    • Also make sure to screenshot the ENTIRE chat log as well as your trade history after each trade (uncropped). 
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help -- if you're unsure, bring in someone with more experience than you to help out. 

4) Setting up/Using Paypal

• Creating account--Fill in the form. Make sure to select personal use. Other than that its pretty straightforward
    • Note: If you plan on dealing with moneypak you WILL need to link your Social Security Number. 
  • Sending money--Go to "Send Money">Put in the email, put in the amount>Select "Friends and Family", check to see if the seller wants any notes and if he does then put them in, if not just click send.
  • Receiving Money--Provide the buyer with your email. Make sure he sends it as friends and family (or at least covers the fees if he sends it another way), and then wait until you get the transaction details (to verify that he paid any fees/that he sent it the way you wanted him to). 

5) Other

• Moneypak--An alternative to Paypal, its a pre-paid card you buy that gets dumped directly into your PP account (can NOT be charged back). Keep in mind, most buyers don't like this option since it puts them at extra risk (extra cost, and they can't charge back even if you don't give them the items) [Moneypak is only available in USA].
    • Your SSN MUST be linked to accept moneypak.
    • This is the ONLY way to guarantee you will not be chargedback (when doing a pp trade)
  • Notes--Worthless, they're only good for your records.
  • Risk Management--Rather than selling ten buds to one person, sell one bud to ten people
  • Like 31

you should, I earned 5 buds in profit just by selling buds and keys on last sat and Sunday alone. I am a legit cash trader but I hate middleman because they take time and money. Dealing in different currency can make you lose money as PayPal have different converting rate. Gift have fee if two accounts are in different country.

That fee is the currency conversion fee, other than that there usually isn't one.

Fees depend on the country and how it's sent.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

And there are currency conversion fees.

Those are non gift fees..... The majority of gift transactions outside of the us only have a .5% conversion fee.

Although, tbh, there really Shouldn't be a conversion fee since its all virtual money anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Few further questions

-Can you explain the idea behind people saying 'send as gift'

-Why do people write  "Payment for Team Fortress 2 virtual items. This is a non-refundable transaction, and I will not charge back under any circumstances." I understand this is to stop charge backs, but does it really work?

- Whats the difference between steamrep and sourcerep, and any preferred in trading?

- How do you make all extra payments on the buyer?

- I am yet to see a non-donator money trader? All on outpost have donated, I have not. Will people trust me more if I do this?

Few further questions

-Why do people write  "Payment for Team Fortress 2 virtual items. This is a non-refundable transaction, and I will not charge back under any circumstances." I understand this is to stop charge backs, but does it really work?

- Whats the difference between steamrep and sourcerep, and any preferred in trading?

- I am yet to see a non-donator money trader? All on outpost have donated, I have not. Will people trust me more if I do this?

-Gift has fewer fews.

-Notes mean absolutley nothing--think about it, if you're pp account was hijacked and you could send a false payment, then couldnt you also put a false note? (send/receive)

-Steamrep keeps track of a users status--scammer/caution. SOP is a trading site (like OP)

-When you send as gift there is an option to let the buyer pay fees (just check/uncheck a box)

-Yes, a premium OP account looks more trustworthy (also, you should upgrade anyway--much better trading)

EDIT: forgot, PP changed things up. there is no more gift option. its now goods/services or family/friends. Family/friends you pay fees (this is what you want to use). goods/services--not really sure as i havent used it yet.

• Like 1

you should, I earned 5 buds in profit just by selling buds and keys on last sat and Sunday alone. I am a legit cash trader but I hate middleman because they take time and money. Dealing in different currency can make you lose money as PayPal have different converting rate. Gift have fee if two accounts are in different country.

Long do you live in U.S? I live in

England does this mean I will be paying extra for every year five to the u.s?

• 2 months later...

Few further questions

RIP

26 March - 24 June 

Pixelated

Pro tip, remeber your fake ID. And don't go over £1,900 if you are U18

• Like 1

--Their service sucks.

--Your fault for dealing with shady people.

--Your fault for not making sure you had all the correct information to begin with. 

--Paypal is perfectly safe as long as you're of legal age (18), and not retarded....i've been dealing with paypal for almost two years now and i have only been chargedback once....One chargeback out of a couple thousand transactions isn't bad....it all depends on who you deal with. 

Conclusion: Don't be stupid.

A middleman even said it would be fine if I traded with them. I had him confirm them first. I don't just trade with everyone. Heck most of them has over 2000 Hours.

>Service sucks. Stupidy has nothing to do with this.

Im 18. Still not safe, as I still live with my parents, so I can't hand out bills n shit.

When I called the lady she said that ALL of them did not have to be filled.

Filled 3 of the options> " Not enough proof , your account has now been perma limited "

>Paypal is perfectly safe as long as you're of legal age (18)

--Their service sucks.

Paypal is never safe. Just google how many people that are over 30+ that keeps having issues with paypal and gets their money frozen. Age does not matter.

Their service sucks. End. k

amazonpayments all the pay, more people should start using it.

Your parents bills are valid. Plus you can have your own bank account. And if you suddenly made an account and made over a thousand dollars instantly, than you're just asking for trouble.

And most mm don't check the other people past making sure there not marked.

This guide was the most helpful guide before i started PP trades and chats with awesome and woifi helped too. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I have never done any real world cash trading before.

I got a really good offer for my bill's and I'm quite interested in selling it off. Problem is, how do I even start paypal trading? 

Am I supposed to send him my item first? How does the trade proceed? I already have a paypal account, so I can receive the funds. 

Hi guys,

I have never done any real world cash trading before.

I got a really good offer for my bill's and I'm quite interested in selling it off. Problem is, how do I even start paypal trading? 

Am I supposed to send him my item first? How does the trade proceed? I already have a paypal account, so I can receive the funds. 

1) Grab a middle from here: http://steamrep.com/list/M

2) Link the mm the buyers profile (ask if hes sketchy at all--you could like his profile here if you want and myself or someone else could tell you). 

3) Invite both parties to chat. 

4) make it clear what the trade is for. 

5) Give the bill to the middleman 

6) he'll send you the money, you confirm it, and then the mm sends the bill to him.

• 2 weeks later...

How much startup money is recommended to begin paypal trading?

It depends what you're planning on doing. My advice, always make sure you have enough money to cover any potential chargebacks. (i.e. assume that anything you've sold within the last 3 months could be chargedback, and make sure you have enough to cover that). 

But i'd say at least $100. Much less and you can't really buy much. 

It depends what you're planning on doing. My advice, always make sure you have enough money to cover any potential chargebacks. (i.e. assume that anything you've sold within the last 3 months could be chargedback, and make sure you have enough to cover that). 

But i'd say at least $100. Much less and you can't really buy much. 

What is your purchase threshhold in terms of a % discount that you buy unusuals for? and do you use backpack.tf USD values for pricing unusual or SOP bud cash value when pricing an unusual?

What is your purchase threshhold in terms of a % discount that you buy unusuals for? and do you use backpack.tf USD values for pricing unusual or SOP bud cash value when pricing an unusual?

do not use current listed bp.tf value. always mouse over the graph and see what the suggested value was. Then take ~30-40% off if you buy unusuals with $$$

I actually covert everything to keys and use keys USD value, but thats just because i prefer to sell keys for cash rather than buds (i.e. i'm more familiar with keys). And i value keys at $1.75. Even though right now there more like $1.80-$1.85, by the time i sell the unusual they will probably have dropped back down to the $1.75 where they've been stable. And somewhere between 30-50% discount of what i realistically expect to get. Most of my buys are around the 40-50% mark, but thats because i have a lot of rep and a lot of sellers are willing to take a bit less if it means they won't get scammed. 

do not use current listed bp.tf value. always mouse over the graph and see what the suggested value was. Then take ~30-40% off if you buy unusuals with $$$

I actually covert everything to keys and use keys USD value, but thats just because i prefer to sell keys for cash rather than buds (i.e. i'm more familiar with keys). And i value keys at $1.75. Even though right now there more like $1.80-$1.85, by the time i sell the unusual they will probably have dropped back down to the $1.75 where they've been stable. And somewhere between 30-50% discount of what i realistically expect to get. Most of my buys are around the 40-50% mark, but thats because i have a lot of rep and a lot of sellers are willing to take a bit less if it means they won't get scammed. 

Any tips for building rep for someone starting out soon?

Any tips for building rep for someone starting out soon?

not really. just get a thread and deal with some highly trusted guys first. you might earn a bit less, but if you got no rep there's a chance you attract scammers

• 3 months later...

My primary PP currency is €. If I receive payments in $, are there any extra fees?

No, well none from a currency conversion. There may still be a fee to send money (but that doesn't have anything to do with the conversion). 

• 1 month later...

So this is my first time doing paypal trading, and I haven't even set up an account yet so I need some advice.

I looked over this and Awesome said paypal trading is fine as long as you are over 18, but i'm not 18, and so I'm wondering are you allowed to make a paypal account if you are under 18?

So this is my first time doing paypal trading, and I haven't even set up an account yet so I need some advice.

I looked over this and Awesome said paypal trading is fine as long as you are over 18, but i'm not 18, and so I'm wondering are you allowed to make a paypal account if you are under 18?

technically no, but you can just lie about your age. 

Ok well now that that is out of the way time to fire at you some questions

So http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198070670065/ wants to buy my NnB YWN, and as I stated, I've never done paypal trading, so he is offering 35$ and is paying the fees, and that doesn't seem like a unbelievable trade. I took your advice and I checked his profile, only 715  hours in tf2 and only 8 games, but he has outpost premium, lots of outpost trades, lots of backpack views and cashed out his whole backpack and his backpack value before was over 1000$, but when I asked for rep he just said check my profile, and he linked me to his backpack.tf trust page and someone said they bought 21 buds from him. He seems like a trustworthy guy, what do you think?