Forum Rules

polar

My only rule has always been, don't be a dick. I had hoped that would have been straightforward enough....

(1) Don't post any offensive material already mentioned here - https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/63593-rules-for-this-forum/. For a little more detail on, "content that promotes hatred in any kind of society." The use of racial, homophobic, or any kind of discriminatory slur like "faggot" or "nigger" with a negative connotation will not be tolerated in the forums.

(2) Don't insult or harass other users. It doesn't matter if the user is a marked scammer or community admin or even an entire community. It doesn't matter if YOU think it's funny. Think about anything you write from the perspective of a stranger or the person you are harassing. If your comments are offensive to others, don't put it down. This goes for any kind of slander as well - things like xx person is a sharker. Harassing other users without proof is called SLANDER.

This does not mean that we want to restrict freedom of speech. If genuine issues with communities or community members need to be brought to the attention of others, I encourage you to post them. However, you MUST back up your statements with evidence supporting your claims.

(3) Don't use alts.

(4) Don't be a backseat moderator. Instead of contributing to spam or a flame war, use the report function. This includes things like "petition to ban xxx."

(5) If you intend to trade, please follow rules in our trading section - https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/63589-important-trading-forum-rules/. We won't permanently ban you from the forums if you are banned on the main site. HOWEVER, if you are banned on the main site, you cannot post trades here. Doing so will get you permanently banned from the forums as well. 

(6) Don't post phishing links or unknown / undisclosed software, regardless of intent.

(7) Don't advertise raffle groups. You'll notice I didn't say "all" groups. I think it's okay to drum up some interest in a youtube channel or column or another site. Just don't be obnoxious about it and constantly spam it everywhere. 

(8) Don't be a dick. Look, use common sense. No one wants constant spam, slander, and an all-around toxic environment in the forums. Don't be that guy that everyone hates.

(9) Posting messages anywhere in the forums on a banned users behalf is grounds for a ban for both the poster and the banned user. These will be handled at the discretion of the mod team. If you do something benign, no one is going to say anything. Try to flame bait, and both parties will likely get bans / ban extensions.

(10.) For Forum bans use site appeal.

Post your appeal here - http://backpack.tf/issue- and request that a mod move it to the ban appeals section.

(11.) Do not post content that promotes piracy. This includes asking for and giving advice about piracy and posting links to relevant websites.

(12.) Scammers are not welcome here.

Examples of spam - things that are grounds for hidden posts, posts getting moved to the GB, warnings, and bans.

1. Contentless posts

- Any post that is a direct quote of another with 0 added content. If you agree with someone, just "like" their post. That's what that function is there for. Posting a direct quote without content is unneeded spam.

- Posts like "ok" are contentless. If you have nothing useful to say or contribute, don't post at all.

- Repeating what has already been said adds no value to the conversation. Again, use the "like" button if you are agreeing with others and have no new content to contribute. 

- Don't post on ancient threads (necroposting) if you have nothing of value to contribute. 

In status updates / GB - posting the exact same message / content repeatedly. This is entirely at the discretion of the moderator assessing it. Use your common sense. No one wants to see 10 of the exact same status updates or 10 of the exact same reply in the same status update. 

2. Posting content unrelated to the objective of the original post

3. Posting threads with uninformative or intentionally misleading titles. Posts with uninformative titles may be moved to the GB or edited by a moderator to clarify the intent of the post. Posting intentionally misleading titles will be treated similarly but are also fair game for warning points and bans. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After talking with the other mods and spending the day thinking about it, I've decided to expand the rule section here to make it clearer what is and isn't acceptable. There will be a short grace period for people to adjust to the rules. You'll get 2-3 warnings without a ban (depending on what you say, of course).

The forums are intended to promote a friendly, non-stressful environment. Posting "[so and so person] is salty, lmao" really serves no purpose except to rile up other users, which tends to create a toxic environment filled with inane name-calling. We don't want to suppress opinion, but opinion can be presented in an objective, non-confrontational way. Instead of saying "Woifi is cancer" consider saying, "Woifi corrects my mistakes so many times that I find it annoying." It doesn't matter who the target is, whether banned or not. Instead of saying, "Penek is a scumbag," consider saying, "Penek has scammed so many people and stolen the pocket money of so many users, I hope he gets the justice he deserves."

Examples of things that will no longer be overlooked:

"Woifi is cancer"

"Woifi is salty"

"Woifi is [insert non-descriptive, mean word that gives no one an idea about what you actually mean]"

Addressing potential concerns:

(1) "You shouldn't be allowed to ban us for giving an opinion."

We aren't banning people for giving opinions. We are banning people only for inane name-calling. We want to encourage a more mature, thoughtful approach where people can give each other constructive criticism in a friendly, non-toxic environment. You are more than welcome to give constructive criticism about any user in the forums. But if you do so, you need to do so clearly and objectively.

(2) "Will I get banned for an obvious joke like 'Woifi is a nub?'"

No. What constitutes a joke is at the mods discretion. However, if the user you are targeting reports your "joke," it obviously wasn't a joke to them and you will receive a warning. So please take care when it comes to who you joke around with. 

(3) The Great Below remains an "unmoderated" forum. These rules do not apply to that section. These rules DO apply everywhere else.

There is so much name-calling going around and people have highlighted a problem of lack-of-consistency when it comes to moderating. I'm hoping these changes will make the forums a less toxic place.

• Like 21

The forums are intended to promote a friendly, non-stressful environment. Posting "[so and so person] is salty, lmao" really serves no purpose except to rile up other users, which tends to create a toxic environment filled with inane name-calling. We don't want to suppress opinion, but opinion can be presented in an objective, non-confrontational way.

those were almost the exact wordings from the people i reported that caused me to get perma'd for "abusing the report system" and you told me yourself that i was petty...

(2) Will I get banned for an obvious joke like "Woifi is a nub?" No. What constitutes a joke is at the mods discretion. However, if the user you are targeting reports your "joke," it obviously wasn't a joke to them and you will receive a warning. So please take care when it comes to who you joke around with. 

Well this can't be abused at all *he says sarcastically, grinding his teeth*

Everything else looks good tho

those were almost the exact wordings from the people i reported that caused me to get perma'd for "abusing the report system" and you told me yourself that i was petty...

No offense but you get angry so easily thou

• Administrators

Does that mean we can insult people all we want in the Great Below?

Yeah what is this about? If the aim is to avoid toxic environments, flame wars, bullying, etc, how does this exception make any sense at all?

Yeah what is this about? If the aim is to avoid toxic environments, flame wars, bullying, etc, how does this exception make any sense at all?

Because that area is meant to be toxic and a joke

• Administrators

Because that area is meant to be toxic and a joke

"Toxic and a joke" is kinda an oxymoron. :P Either it's one or the other. If it's a joke, then it doesn't break rules anyway. If it's toxic then why is it ok there but not elsewhere? Same people reading the same posts...

Does that mean we can insult people all we want in the Great Below?

no. The rules are applied less strictly there but it is not a free for all. There are some things that you just should never do or say, ever. Those also should not be done or said in the great below

• Like 2

We already discussed your ban in your ban appeal. Complaining in public about an issue that has been resolved is not really going to help you.

You are welcome to phrase any complaints in a less confrontational manner, of course.

• Like 2

This new rule never should have been made, modified or adjusted. All it took was common sense to know what you should and shouldn't say.  But, glad the Mods here clarified it for those that don't have common decency and need to have things explained to them 1 word at a time.

no. The rules are applied less strictly there but it is not a free for all. There are some things that you just should never do or say, ever. Those also should not be done or said in the great below

But it literally says, these rules do not apply to great below

This new rule never should have been made, modified or adjusted. All it took was common sense to know what you should and shouldn't say.  But, glad the Mods here clarified it for those that don't have common decency and need to have things explained to them 1 word at a time.

I dont think there's anything wrong with clarifying things, especially when there's been a large discrepancy in the standards of bans being held out.

I dont think there's anything wrong with clarifying things, especially when there's been a large discrepancy in the standards of bans being held out.

I don't find anything wrong with clarification either, but we shouldn't need to clarify a rule that is already a part of common sense. Maybe if we had people who were able to make proper judgement before spilling their beans, then this discussion would never have existed.
  • Like 4

Clarification is good for new users I suppose but common sense is kinda all you need. Not posting racial slurs or slander against other people and you'll have a good forum experience. If you want to do said things than you can just go on 4Chan or on some disturbing sub reddit. These forums are meant to be as friendly, helpful and fun as possible. I for one enjoy this community because A. I can get alot off of my mind because nobody knows me and B. The atmosphere is more inviting compared to a shrink or a counselor. Of course these are just my opinions of course so you can think however you want.

But it literally says, these rules do not apply to great below

The new, stricter rules do not apply to the great below as of yet. The great below already had rules which will stay in place

I would suggest adding a TL;DR at the beginning of the post, I suggest the following:

TD;DR: Anything you wouldn't say if you had a group of thugs around you with guns to your head, don't say it here.

Anything you wouldn't say if you had a group of thugs around you with guns to your head, don't say it here.

Haha, that's pretty funny. I haven't heard that one before. My TL;DR was "don't be a dick."

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I really do not know how to use forum, so I want to know why my items are not being self-bumped, have to enable it somewhere? I need help please.

I really do not know how to use forum, so I want to know why my items are not being self-bumped, have to enable it somewhere? I need help please.

No, there is no autobump feature on the forums

Can I ask, as either I am blind or it is not listed specifically, is there a certain number of warning points that get you a ban? Also is it possible to appeal a warning point?

Can I ask, as either I am blind or it is not listed specifically, is there a certain number of warning points that get you a ban? Also is it possible to appeal a warning point?

I believe 50 is an autoban and yes, you can appeal a warning point (if it was requested) according to polar 

I believe 50 is an autoban and yes, you can appeal a warning point (if it was requested) according to polar

While 50 is the hard cap, you would need a very VERY forgiving Staff to get anywhere near 50. You'll probably be perma-banned before you reach 30 points since you've racked up a great record of bans.

At 5 warning points you'll get your first temporary ban, every following warning will also lead to a temporary ban until you've fucked up too many times and receive a permanent one. Bans are appealable.  

While 50 is the hard cap, you would need a very VERY forgiving Staff to get anywhere near 50. You'll probably be perma-banned before you reach 30 points since you've racked up a great record of bans.

30? Most people that have been permanently banned were in the 12-15 range, and that's with some warnings granting multiple points. 12 individual warnings means you're probably already permanently banned, often quite a few less