New classified is not good UI

(13).

IMO the new design for classified is not as good as the previous one, making it much harder to use. In addition to the searching problems brought up by another poster, I'd like to point out the following:

1. Each entry takes up much more height on the screen, meaning fewer entries can be displayed at once. The majority of the space is taken up by the large item image, which is unnecessary as most of the search results are going to be for a single item, and that image is just repeated over and over again.

2. The price, which is the most important aspect of the listing, now has tiny font and is overlayed inside the item's image. It's best if the price is listed clearly in normal text in its own column, not as an overlay on the image. When I first saw the new classified page, it took me a good minute to figure out where the price is. Such important things should be made extremely obvious Fixed now.

3. Clicking "Search Classified" on an item brings up a new pop up window. First, with almost all browsers supporting tabbed browsing, use of pop up windows should be minimized. Second, when this window first appeared, it was automatically blocked by Chrome, and probably would be by other browsers as well. Not a good design choice IMHO. The link should be normal link that opens a new tab (target="_blank"), and user can hold shift to open a new window if he/she chooses.

Thanks for consideration.

#3 is fixed too, it was due to the new window action coming in via ajax and not tied to a click event - not as simple html tags like "_blank". I changed the logic so that it will work as originally intended.

#1 - while I agree listings take more room, if you're searching for a specific item it won't make much of a difference to you since you'll be looking at the top few results anyway since you'll be looking for the cheapest price. The bigger image and information boxes come in handy when looking at all unusual hats or all soldier hats, etc.

I fixed #2 as you noted earlier, I was quite surprised at the people having trouble finding the price since everywhere on the site the price is listed in the same exact manner, you'd think people would be used to it by now :)

Thanks for the quick reply Brad.

There is a huge portion of the space in the middle of each listing that usually goes unused. I think it would be better to put the price in its own column, instead of sharing the column with the report/delete/repost buttons. It would make it easier to scan down and look at the prices.

I see your point regarding #1. For me, I check the Tossle Cap trades often, and I would like to see all the listings, not just the top few, because many of them are painted. However, I wouldn't be searching for a particular paint, because I'm just browsing through all of them and looking for the good deals. I think would also be a problem for Strange weapons with parts. It would require much more scrolling to find one with the parts you want, since they will end up near the bottom of the list.

Thanks for the quick reply Brad.

There is a huge portion of the space in the middle of each listing that usually goes unused. I think it would be better to put the price in its own column, instead of sharing the column with the report/delete/repost buttons. It would make it easier to scan down and look at the prices.

I see your point regarding #1. For me, I check the Tossle Cap trades often, and I would like to see all the listings, not just the top few, because many of them are painted. However, I wouldn't be searching for a particular paint, because I'm just browsing through all of them and looking for the good deals. I think would also be a problem for Strange weapons with parts. It would require much more scrolling to find one with the parts you want, since they will end up near the bottom of the list.

You can search for painted tossle (any paint) though.

Okay thanks for that tip. I still like the compact version better. I guess I'll get over it with time.

Also, my suggestion for price in its own column got accepted! :D :D TY Brad!

Archived