Reversed unusual overpayment calculation?

∞Ramses

I've got kind of a problem with the unusual overpayment calculation.

Suppose, I want to update Unusual A.

It got sold for Unusual B (on the trade with unusual A listed), with a price range of 3-4 buds.

To calculate the overpayment, it's (3+4)/2*0.9 = 3.1 buds.

This is no problem.

The real problem is, what do you calculate if unusual B is sold for unusual A. In other words, if a trade with unusual B is up, and it got sold for unusual A (which got offered). Would it be (3+4)/2/9 = 3.9 buds?

Because, if you think logically, the offer unusual A is supposed to be an unusual overpayment...

How do you think about this?

I've asked this question on a previous thread with no response. Just in talking to people it seems like everyone does things differently, but I would say more people just take hats at equal value instead of factoring reverse overpay. I know a few people who choose to take the high value of a range. And even fewer who do the reverse .9 overpay. But it seems odd to add value to a hat that way, so I just take them at equal value.

I've asked this question on a previous thread with no response. Just in talking to people it seems like everyone does things differently, but I would say more people just take hats at equal value instead of factoring reverse overpay. I know a few people who choose to take the high value of a range. And even fewer who do the reverse .9 overpay. But it seems odd to add value to a hat that way, so I just take them at equal value.

So the middle value of that one hat?

Just assume 1:1

But there are multiple sales, and this one will become the upper price.

So I should make it the middle price of Unusual B as upper?

I have a long time ago noticed that when the equivalent exchange , and if you use unusual over pay, happen reducing the price on the hat . And it will always occur . Exit : use more pure sells (sold for buds -keys) and use best hight offers on upper price range , for that to pull up average price . I try make that the average price is was slightly greater or about equal to middle sales of : if most sold for~ 2 bud  -average price~2+a little buds.

A good example here   http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51f826614bd7b8df10000004  - unfortunately suggestion accepted , but price not the right .

Sold/ offer in pure : sold for 4.2 buds in promos , offer 3 buds+20 keys 

Sold for unusual hat : ~ 2.5  2.6 2.8 

Is the difference ?

I have a long time ago noticed that when the equivalent exchange , and if you use unusual over pay, happen reducing the price on the hat . And it will always occur . Exit : use more pure sells (sold for buds -keys) and use best hight offers on upper price range , for that to pull up average price . I try make that the average price is was slightly greater or about equal to middle sales of : if most sold for~ 2 bud  -average price~2+a little buds.

A good example here   http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51f826614bd7b8df10000004  - unfortunately suggestion accepted , but price not the right .

Sold/ offer in pure : sold for 4.2 buds in promos , offer 3 buds+20 keys 

Sold for unusual hat : ~ 2.5  2.6 2.8 

Is the difference ?

I only accepted it because there were 2 sales at around 2.5-2.6 and only one at 4.2. I admit that that range is a bit low as it is now

I only accepted it because there were 2 sales at around 2.5-2.6 and only one at 4.2. I admit that that range is a bit low as it is now

+sold for ~3.8 and 3.1

No problem. My post was made too late to change something here he had a high percentage of votes . We move away from the topic.

Since I take low end on unusuals offered

Pricing the unusual offered I take high end

my tip : dont price unusuals

What a superbly constructive statement.

I think it is not needed and too confusing sometimes. Also you don't know if it was offered or not always. Just take the average value.~

I think it is not needed and too confusing sometimes. Also you don't know if it was offered or not always. Just take the average value.~

>too confusing

It's basic math babe :)

>too confusing

It's basic math babe :)

It's not too confusing for me but for others sometimes. Some still don't get what overpay is though. :S

It's not too confusing for me but for others sometimes. Some still don't get what overpay is though. :S

We shouldn't let nubs get in the way of making accurate prices should we?

Unusual A is listed as 10 buds, Unusual B is listed as 9.

A trader with unusual A offers unusual A on unusual B, and the owner of B accepts. The trade is done and both parties go their separate ways. 

Someone wishes to make a suggestion to update the price of A, and use this trade as an example. 

There are two paths the individual could go down with the use of overpay.

1. Since the trade involved unusuals, overpay needs to be calculated and since A was bought with B, overpay calculates the price at the price of B * .9, which evaluates to 8.1 buds. The suggester opens a suggestion to drop the price of A to 8.1 buds.

2. Since A was offered on B, the suggester believes that the overpay is with A. The calculation means that A is valued at 9 buds with overpay, which matches the price of B. The suggester concludes that no price update is required.

Which is the correct scenario?

Thanks in advance. 

Unusual A is listed as 10 buds, Unusual B is listed as 9.

A trader with unusual A offers unusual A on unusual B, and the owner of B accepts. The trade is done and both parties go their separate ways. 

Someone wishes to make a suggestion to update the price of A, and use this trade as an example. 

There are two paths the individual could go down with the use of overpay.

1. Since the trade involved unusuals, overpay needs to be calculated and since A was bought with B, overpay calculates the price at the price of B * .9, which evaluates to 8.1 buds. The suggester opens a suggestion to drop the price of A to 8.1 buds.

2. Since A was offered on B, the suggester believes that the overpay is with A. The calculation means that A is valued at 9 buds with overpay, which matches the price of B. The suggester concludes that no price update is required.

Which is the correct scenario?

Thanks in advance. 

The overpay is applied to whoever is offering. I.e. the one paying, not the one selling. (Hence, overpaying)

The overpay is applied to whoever is offering. I.e. the one paying, not the one selling. (Hence, overpaying)

This^

Also adding on, if the offer is a mix of pure and items only take overpay for the items. Seems like some traders are accidentally including the pure in overpay lolol

This question has been addressed several times. Please look here - http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/3040-reversed-unusual-overpayment-calculation/?hl=overpay&do=findComment&comment=31719 - for a more in depth discussion.

Generally, I (and most suggestors) stay away from actually calculating a reverse overpay. But it's not an unreasonable thing to do.

Mods, please merge.

Archived