Opinions on "Illegal" Torrenting?

Grimes

Personally, as a poor uni student, I often download movies/games. Often I do it just to see if I like the game, then I actually buy it if I do.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I do the same thing. Torrenting games to see what you are buying should be goddamn common sense. People complain as though ubisoft needs another 50 bucks from one consumer.

wat

Every time I saw it for sale since it came out in like, 2011, I picked up another copy because I kept losing it without watching it.

Eventually I said "enough" this past week and torrented a copy because I already lost my last one.

Until Netflix (or an alternative) allows you to download large volumes of movies/shows (enough for...let say a two week vacation), increases their movie collection, or actually acquires the latest season of a tv show in a timely manner then torrenting has a very important place.

Also, the way I see it... I (well...dad) pays $130/month for TV. So, if it's perfectly legal for me to record anything I want via a DVR, then torrenting is just a much more convenient way of doing so...

I torrented a lot back in high school, but nowadays, I have a job so I can easily get a legit copy of something or just watch it on hulu/netflix/etc., making torrenting rarely worth the hassle.

As for opinions about it, I really don't care much, but I do find it annoying when pirates get all uppity and entitled when their pirated copy doesn't work. I do enjoy reading about the unusual anti-piracy methods that some companies use, like the Crysis's chicken gun, Micheal Jackson's vuvuzelas, or Nintendo's Earthbound save file-fuckery.

Every time I saw it for sale since it came out in like, 2011, I picked up another copy because I kept losing it without watching it.

Eventually I said "enough" this past week and torrented a copy because I already lost my last one.

ah right

If it weren't such a bother to ask my parents to give me their credit card, put it on my account, spend ten minutes just doing that, I would pay for the games.

If I could cram cash into some slot on my computer, I'd do it if it would let me buy shit.

The Dutch government instituted a new tax a few years ago on all file carriers such as CDs, phones mp3 players and laptops. This makes it completely justifies to download the files. I already paid for them through taxes (the money supposedly goes to artists) so I have the right to download any song or movie I like without judges even being able to convict me in Dutch law.

This does not apply to software and I buy all my games except crappy android games that I won't even play for over 2 hours.

Oh and I pirated aoe 1 because its not for sale anywhere.

And our legal people are too busy doing actually useful stuff to go after piraters

piracy.png

With that logic it's okay to steal a car, as you're just stealing a copy of the first car. Because somewhere at their high quarters/factory there is a first car, which they keep. Makes no sense. Grow up.

With that logic it's okay to steal a car, as you're just stealing a copy of the first car. Because somewhere at their high quarters/factory there is a first car, which they keep. Makes no sense. Grow up.

When you steal a car you're physically removing the car from the owner; the owner no longer has it.

When you steal a car you're physically removing the car from the owner; the owner no longer has it.

Doesn't matter if it's digital or physical, the argument is still as chilidish as the owner has spent money and time on creating it. With that logic it's okay to scam in Tf2 as it's just digital stuff! Great!

Doesn't matter if it's digital or physical, the argument is still as chilidish as the owner has spent money and time on creating it. With that logic it's okay to scam in Tf2 as it's just digital stuff! Great!

If you dupe the item and return and leave the original owner with a copy, then it would be the same as piracy.

If you dupe the item and return and leave the original owner with a copy, then it would be the same as piracy.

No, as the owner doesn't lose anything if he gets the hat back, you don't pirate a movie to go buy it after you've watched it. Can you please tell me why it's acceptable to steal a movie online, but not if you go to a store and steal it with your hands? Or maybe you think stealing physical items is right too?

I just, why. No need for ", it's ofcourse illegal. Would it be cool if you inveted something supercool, and thik you could make profit out of it? Yeah, well "pirates" fuck that up, as they basically make a copy out of it. Don't you actaully understand the word copyright, and why it exists?

In addition, just because it is not something holdable and basically infinitely dupeable doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. Pirating is bascially sabotage. I can make a company lose profit without physically stealing anything, like ddossing their website/webstore, but it is still illegal. Why should sabotage be allowed?

No, as the owner doesn't lose anything if he gets the hat back, you don't pirate a movie to go buy it after you've watched it. Can you please tell me why it's acceptable to steal a movie online, but not if you go to a store and steal it with your hands? Or maybe you think stealing physical items is right too?

Firstly, thats actually not true. A lot of people do pirate stuff and then buy it if it is worth the money.

Secondly, pirating doesn't physically remove a copy from the owner. If you pirate something the owner still has a copy. Duping is by definition pirating.

And when you steal a physical disc from a store, that store owner no longer has that disc.

In addition, just because it is not something holdable and basically infinitely dupeable doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. Pirating is bascially sabotage. I can make a company lose profit without physically stealing anything, like ddossing their website/webstore, but it is still illegal. Why should sabotage be allowed?

Because pirating gets products a LOT more exposure then they would otherwise get. I had a friend who would pirate pretty much everything and then tell people what shows/movies/games to watch/play/buy. Now, he would NEVER have bought any of it, but because he downloaded so much he actually got a lot of people playing/watching a lot of shows/games (many of which actually went out and bought them on iTunes/Netflix/etc...).

Plus, then there is the fact that, I pay for TV and a DVR, therefore I can essentially download anything I want with that DVR, it's just more of a nuisance; plus someone who buys a movie should be allowed to give it to his friends to watch, so the only difference between that and torrenting is that when you torrent it turns that one copy into multiple.

Firstly, thats actually not true. A lot of people do pirate stuff and then buy it if it is worth the money.

Secondly, pirating doesn't physically remove a copy from the owner. If you pirate something the owner still has a copy. Duping is by definition pirating.

And when you steal a physical disc from a store, that store owner no longer has that disc.

You clearly missed the point, it's not interesting if it's physical or digital, as the owner still loses incomes. Why is it worse to steal digital items than physical items? I'd also like a source of your numbers on how many people who buy the movie after they've illegaly watched it, it defeats the entire purpose. If you steal a disc from the store the owner can just order more discs. The only difference is that the owner of the store loses revenue instead of the content creator.

I used to torrent a lot when I was like 13-14. Why? Because I had no money at the time. Parents wouldn't ever let me buy anything so this is all I had.

But now that I do have money, I just buy it. So I guess one reason some people pirate things is because they can't afford it at the time.

Archived