[Guide] How to find item histories on SCM

cares

I discovered a method to look up item histories (and the owner) on sites providing item histories on backpack.tf. TF2, CS:GO, and Dota 2 are supported (although the two latter aren't very useful since I haven't found any good item history sites). Keep in mind it is commonly inaccurate because nearly none of the backpacks on the third party sites are properly updated. Generally, the higher the price of the item, the higher the chance of success.

First off, you want either Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey.

This is what adds the links to the item history sites.

That's pretty much all. Visit the listing pages you want and it'll add the links to the item histories. Demo / screenshots:

If there's any bugs, let me know.

Again, from what I've seen, few items have item histories attached. Keep this in mind before trying to find someone.

• Like 9

Still not going to use it. I wanna be able to buy scammed hats without worrying :P

This is mostly just to find dupes for those who care and be able to offer on some items privately, SR would never demand that users of SCM use this kind of technique. In fact, most scammed hats don't even show up in the history.

thanks cares, gonna test it soon

Still not going to use it. I wanna be able to buy scammed hats without worrying :P

reported

---

How to prevent from being found by that method:

1. Put your hat on SCM

2. Remove it (the item will have now new ID)

3. Put it again (do it fast to prevent scanners from scan it again and therefore update item history)

4. iunno

As soon as valve catches wind of this, it'll probably be patched.  Without looking at the script, the exploit it is using is probably something to do with looking up people's profile pictures through steam community.  From that point it would be a simple matter to just open up their backpack through backpack.tf

This is mostly just to find dupes for those who care and be able to offer on some items privately, SR would never demand that users of SCM use this kind of technique. In fact, most scammed hats don't even show up in the history.

Just wanted to say something here. Someone will appreciate being able to check the SCM for duplicates. http://backpack.tf/vote/id/53cc191f4dd7b8487f8b4569Thank you.

As soon as valve catches wind of this, it'll probably be patched.  Without looking at the script, the exploit it is using is probably something to do with looking up people's profile pictures through steam community.  From that point it would be a simple matter to just open up their backpack through backpack.tf

No. It looks for the item's id in the buy button's click handler.

• Like 1

No. It looks for the item's id in the buy button's click handler.

oooh.  okay.  how likely do you think it is that valve can/will patch this out?

oooh.  okay.  how likely do you think it is that valve can/will patch this out?

By changing the godawful javascript on the Steam site, will break extensions like Enhanced Steam.

• Like 1

No thx. I don't want to deal with this stress. I already do enough BG checking in trading.

The only thing you should do, is look up the seller ID on SR.

No thx. I don't want to deal with this stress. I already do enough BG checking in trading.

The only thing you should do, is look up the seller ID on SR.

You can't look up their steamid, that's what was recently changed. Almost no scammed hats are in item histories, so it's not worth checking. I don't know what you're upset about.

Oh cool then. No worries then if I accidentally trade with a scammer.

I was upset about the stress level about keeping my rep clean...but nothing to be upset over now

Oh cool then. No worries then if I accidentally trade with a scammer.

I was upset about the stress level about keeping my rep clean...but nothing to be upset over now

I don't even think this is fully intended by Steam, so in no way would SR or other sites demand you use a script/method like this to check with who you're trading. That's insane.

The way that works is all items have item ids, now how that script works is that it parses the HTML and gets the item Id. When buying an item you buy it with the item id because there are multiple of the same items on that page. It is not really an exploit.

I'm concerned that Valve will now patch this out by obfuscating the item IDs. For example, hide them behind a hash value with a server-side random seed. Hopefully hash collision due to the ridiculously large number of item IDs makes patching it like that non-trivial and more trouble than it's worth.

Guess it depends on how seriously they want to gimp our ability to check histories and find owner profiles.

I'm concerned that Valve will now patch this out by obfuscating the item IDs. For example, hide them behind a hash value with a server-side random seed. Hopefully hash collision due to the ridiculously large number of item IDs makes patching it like that non-trivial and more trouble than it's worth.

Guess it depends on how seriously they want to gimp our ability to check histories and find owner profiles.

The item id is entirely useless because each SCM listing has its own id.

• 2 weeks later...

Very useful indeed, thanks a bunch. It's a shame it doesn't work on all items, but that can't be helped. I am curious though, I don't get links showing up for listed items on page 2 onwards - is this a bug on my end, or with the script?

Very useful indeed, thanks a bunch. It's a shame it doesn't work on all items, but that can't be helped. I am curious though, I don't get links showing up for listed items on page 2 onwards - is this a bug on my end, or with the script?

Pagination on SCM doesn't work for me at all, probably a bug but I can't really test for it.

• 3 months later...

I have an alternative method I found for those of you who do not want to download any scripts:

first, hover over the 'buy now' button on the item you want to find the history of:

yvDMakO.png

next, right click, and press "copy link address"

thLVJh3.png

next, paste that link address into your url bar and copy the last string of numbers in the url bar

Crifykq.png

next, go to tf2outpost.com and click on any unusual listed to bring up the history. from there, click on "permalink" under the name of the unusual in the pop up

OHfQUEG.png

next, find the second string of numbers in the url bar (which I have highlighted) and paste the string of numbers you have previously copied to replace these numbers

CLVB6dp.png

then, press enter and you will have the history of the item you want to buy. from here, you can retrieve the owner's steam profile, their backpack, and their outpost trades

YjfaLML.png

hope this helps